Activision Announces Neversoft Entertainment to be Retired

Started by Raven, May 03, 2014, 10:02 PM

previous topic - next topic

Raven

Activision Announces Neversoft Entertainment to be Retired, Studio Will Be Merging with Infinity Ward

Following an extended history working on franchises like Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, Guitar Hero, and more recently collaborating on last year's Call of Duty: Ghosts, Activision announced this afternoon that Neversoft Entertainment will be retiring its name and be merged with current Call of Duty producer, Infinity Ward.

In a memo released by Eric Hirshberg, (Activision Publishing CEO), the company detailed that Neversoft will be merged into Infinity Ward's name, with the current staff to be integrated with the rest of Infinity Ward's team. After working on last year's Call of Duty: Ghosts, Hirshberg mentioned the symmetry between the two teams and the decision to merge the two studios, with an official press release coming from Activision on the merger:

"As you know, Neversoft and Infinity Ward teamed up for the development of Call of Duty: Ghosts. And through that process, it became clear that the two studios have very complementary skill sets. Between these two excellent studios, it seemed like a single 'super-studio' could emerge."

"The impact of their 20-year run of hard work and success cannot be overstated. As already mentioned, we are merging these two very talented teams and obviously had to choose a name for the combined studio. Since the Infinity Ward brand is indelibly tied to the Call of Duty franchise, it is the sensible choice. While it will be strange to not see the Neversoft logo on future games, the important things-which are the Neversoft team's talent, creativity, professionalism and commitment to creative excellence-all remain unchanged as part of this new chapter."

"I am very much looking forward to what the new Infinity Ward will deliver in the near future."

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/05/03/activision-announces-neversoft-entertainment-to-be-retired-studio-will-be-merging-with-infinity-ward/

Legend

Oh :(

I loved Tony Hawk games on the PS2.

darkknightkryta

I feel so bad for everyone at Neversoft.  The single most under appreciated dev ever.  Spider-man.  Tony Hawk.  Guitar Hero 3. Call of Duty.  Seriously, they were Activision's go to baby for so long.  This is sad.

7H3

well their not really being retired, just the name sake... to me it just really seems like they are taking over IW and that name... So IW will really be Neversoft but just IW in name sake... I guess people still don't know that IW doesn't really exist anymore... I know I was talking to someone the other day and they thought it was Treyarch that split... he's an xbox gamer tho so...
"It's hip to be square." - Eurogamer<br />"Shut up its art!" -Legend

Legend

well their not really being retired, just the name sake... to me it just really seems like they are taking over IW and that name... So IW will really be Neversoft but just IW in name sake... I guess people still don't know that IW doesn't really exist anymore... I know I was talking to someone the other day and they thought it was Treyarch that split... he's an xbox gamer tho so...

Wait infinity ward doesn't really exist anymore?

Legend

Wait infinity ward doesn't really exist anymore?

Legend

Sorry for the double post.

My eyes must be deceiving me but I think for a split second the page turned black and flashed the VizionEck V logo. I had to post again and try to replicate my findings.

7H3

Well the top 1/3 of their senior talent left for Respawn, and maybe about another ten just left... which after left infinity ward with just less than 60% of its personnel and not really any senior staff
"It's hip to be square." - Eurogamer<br />"Shut up its art!" -Legend