Video Game Sales Thread

Started by Xevross, Aug 14, 2014, 02:56 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Dr. Pezus

FIFA 19 Switch growth is good! Maybe FIFA 20 goes past 300k!

Honestly, I think Switch is starting to help build the sports fan base. Especially since T2 was pleased with NBA sales(both 18 and 19) on Switch.

Switch baseline in Japan is impressive and NSMBUDX is beating expectations.
Is it though? Sales have dropped on other platforms, which might partly be because people are buying the Switch version instead

Xevross

Anthem is doing quite poorly on amazon, in the UK at least. If it isn't the biggest UK launch of the year so far then its a disaster, imo.

Legend

Anthem is doing quite poorly on amazon, in the UK at least. If it isn't the biggest UK launch of the year so far then its a disaster, imo.
That would be very bad. A week ago anthem seemed like it'd have a huge launch but who knows at this point.

ethomaz

I don't think it is possible to not be the biggest launch of the year... we didn't have any big launch up to now.

Xevross

I don't think it is possible to not be the biggest launch of the year... we didn't have any big launch up to now.
RE2 was 70k, KH3 was 67k. Those are decent, but you'd expect Anthem to easily clear them. That's why I said it'd be a disaster if it doesn't. I think Andromeda debuted with about 100k.

Xevross

Feb 25, 2019, 12:27 AM Last Edit: Feb 25, 2019, 12:58 AM by Xevross
Oh my god. Anthem sold less than half of Andromeda first week in the UK, and about 10% of Destiny's first week according to Zhuge.

Numerically, that points to about 42k sales. fudgy hell, that's downright awful.

Even compared to Destiny 2 this is awful. Destiny 2 was considered a very poor physical launch but it turned out that digital had soared and saved it, but that launch was still 175k physically, so this is about 1/4 of that. I really can't see Anthem hitting that 5-6M target EA set it.

Edit: and another comparison for this genre, The Division launched with 277k and that went on to make $330m worldwide in 5 days. Destiny's 417k sales in the UK corresponded to $325m worldwide in 5 days. Make of that what you will.

Let's say digital was low for Destiny way back when, perhaps only 10% this would still lead to 460k FW sales in the UK.
Similarly let's say digital was a bit higher but still low for the division, say 20%, so it sold about 350k FW in the UK.
Destiny 2 was massive digitally, but let's say it was only 30%, that's still 250k FW in the UK.
Then we have Anthem, let's be extremely generous and give it a 60% digital share, leading to 100k FW in the UK.

That's still absolutely dire, and that's the best case scenario compared to the others imo. Anthem bombed.

BananaKing

shame, anthem is in trouble if sales WW are like this in the UK. I really hope this isn't the end for bioware as I really want another Mass Effect.

Their last dragon age game was a success so I can see EA letting them release another one. But maybe they would shut down the team that made anthem .

Legend

Destiny and the Division were huge and had their own flaws so imo this does a pretty good job of showing just how those games really earned their sales. Anthem should have had at least somewhat similar hype going into release weak but that didn't happen and the low review scores killed it.

Hopefully it's possible for the game to release a patch that reworks the game to remove lots of the loading. That'd be so much work but it'd at least allow the game to be pretty great for the people that currently like it.

Xevross

shame, anthem is in trouble if sales WW are like this in the UK. I really hope this isn't the end for bioware as I really want another Mass Effect.

Their last dragon age game was a success so I can see EA letting them release another one. But maybe they would shut down the team that made anthem .
Yeah, selling most likely less than half of ME3 with digital included is just sad, how the mighty have fallen. Just shows that if EA let Bioware continue working on what they're good at they probably would be making more money.

Destiny and the Division were huge and had their own flaws so imo this does a pretty good job of showing just how those games really earned their sales. Anthem should have had at least somewhat similar hype going into release weak but that didn't happen and the low review scores killed it.

Hopefully it's possible for the game to release a patch that reworks the game to remove lots of the loading. That'd be so much work but it'd at least allow the game to be pretty great for the people that currently like it.
I think without the demo and EA access this launch would have been a lot higher. The demo was poor and turned a lot of people off the game, and EA access releasing the full game a week early allowed everyone to hear about how bad the game is, and probably caused a lot to cancel their pre-order.

Just terrible moves from EA all round. If they had any sense they would have known how low quality Anthem is and tried to hide it by showing nothing before launch, this is not the time to push your EA access premium battleship. They shot themselves in the foot, and now they'll pay for it. I just hope they learn the right lessons and Bioware are okay.

BananaKing

Honestly it was very short sighted from EA to purchase bioware. Mid last gen they shifted their focus towards online games. And bioware is an old school single player development studio .they should have noticed their methods and business models don't align. They had success with bioware but it was with franchises that they initially developed before or right at when EA purchased them. Now with EAs business model they are having trouble

ethomaz

Feb 25, 2019, 11:39 AM Last Edit: Feb 25, 2019, 11:41 AM by ethomaz
Bungie found a workaround for the loading (that only happens when you are traveling to a new destination... when you are in the open world area of destination there is no loading).

Bungie put the menu inventory to be used all the time including the loading so you can setup your guardian at the load screen making the load time feels smaller than it is.

BTW load time in Destiny relies strong in the guy with the weakest connection in your fireteam... solo with good connection is not that slow.

Xevross

Honestly it was very short sighted from EA to purchase bioware. Mid last gen they shifted their focus towards online games. And bioware is an old school single player development studio .they should have noticed their methods and business models don't align. They had success with bioware but it was with franchises that they initially developed before or right at when EA purchased them. Now with EAs business model they are having trouble
Yeah, the acquisition was a bad move for everyone: bioware, EA and the consumer.

darkknightkryta

That's the main Bioware team.  EA shuts that down, Bioware shuts with it.

BananaKing

That's the main Bioware team.  EA shuts that down, Bioware shuts with it.
They could shut it down, and reallocate  some member's to the dragon age game team theoretically speaking.

However I hope this doesn't flop that much, they add more content, and bioware lives. So they can make a new Mass Effecf

Xevross

They could shut it down, and reallocate  some member's to the dragon age game team theoretically speaking.

However I hope this doesn't flop that much, they add more content, and bioware lives. So they can make a new Mass Effecf
Thing is, almost the entire dragon age team was transferred to Anthem to help try and make something resembling a finished game by the time EA were forcing them to have it finished by. There is no "dragon age team" any more, and I think Anthem shows that there's not really much creative talent from anyone who worked on it, and that includes Dragon Age people.

The people who made Bioware so amazing are long gone, and EA won't let them make another pure RPG like their past games again. Bioware is basically dead already.

Go Up