Dan Adelman says Wii U name is "abysmal"

Started by Legend, Aug 07, 2014, 01:13 AM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Aug 07, 2014, 01:13 AM Last Edit: Aug 07, 2014, 01:17 AM by Legend
http://ask.fm/dan_adelman/answer/117010476986

He was previously a top indie guy at Nintendo.

Do you feel Nintendo deserves the mess they are in (Wii U, and partially, 3DS) ? do you think they "are" in a mess?
Wii U is not selling as well as it deserves to. It has a lot to offer with great games you can't get anywhere else. The value of the GamePad hasn't been justified. But the name Wii U is abysmal. I think that cut sales in half right there.

Legend

I agree with him, to a degree.

To the core Nintendo fans it's not an issue, but to the casuals and mid gamers it is. The uber casual thinks it's a Wii add on and the mid gamer thinks it's a Wii 2.0 designed for grandmas.

Personally I kinda expected Nintendo to remarket it at the end of 2013 as just the Nintendo U.

the-pi-guy

To the core Nintendo fans it's not an issue, but to the casuals and mid gamers it is. The uber casual thinks it's a Wii add on and the mid gamer thinks it's a Wii 2.0 designed for grandmas.

Personally I kinda expected Nintendo to remarket it at the end of 2013 as just the Nintendo U.

This.  Except that last sentence.  That's nonsense.  I kid.  I kid.

Raven

Nintendo has a death wish if they continue to associate themselves with the Wii name. They are in bad need of an image improvement and distancing themselves from their previous failures and cutesy names is a start.

Dr. Pezus

Nintendo U would've been way better. Wii was already dead when WiiU launched so I don't know why they felt like they had to have that Wii stuff in the name.

ethomaz

Wii U was a dumb name since I first read it... even Nintendo fas agreed.

BananaKing

its a very stupid name. it should have been Wii 2.