Say Anything About The Game You're Currently Playing...

Started by ethomaz, Jun 05, 2014, 03:13 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Legend

I've only ever played one deck building game (Uncharted Fight for Fortune) and while that game was fun, I don't think they're my type of thing.

SWORDF1SH

I've only ever played one deck building game (Uncharted Fight for Fortune) and while that game was fun, I don't think they're my type of thing.
I don't really play deck builders but recently played Fights in Tight Spaces and enjoyed it so gave Balatro a try after a friend recommended it. Because I'm not really into this genre, what appeals to me is it's not overcomplicated and fun to build up a powerful deck.

kitler53

I've been playing some shaming time waster on iPad I got via Netflix: cats and soup.  

today I opened the game and Netflix made me relog-in.  ...and my save file got trashed.   lost about 1.5 months of play.   

uninstalled. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

I finished The Invincible today. It was pretty good, but I had no idea it had a branching story. I thought it was linear with a couple fake options. Really interesting experience to analyze.

Story was interesting and it's a game I'd recommend, although the gameplay was slow. I think you might like it a bit more if you know that actions have consequences. Or you might like it less because the consequences seem a bit random.

First half spoilers explaining why the game felt linear with fake choices:
Spoiler for Hidden:
<br>I found an injured astronaut that I was trying to save. I took off my oxygen tank and gave it to the injured astronaut, since he needed all the help he could get. The game played this up as an important choice, yet the injured astronaut still died and I found a spare oxygen tank before it ever impacted me. That sure felt like a fake choice in a linear game, but I guess there was a way to save that astronaut.<br><br>Shortly after that I was at a fork in the road. Left went to safety while right went into an enemy camp. I thought the game was linear so I took the safe path and sure enough something went wrong, forcing me into the enemy camp. Again that really reinforced that the game was linear with fake choices only.<br>

Some times the game looked really great and felt like classic sci fi. Other times the overdone sharpening filter was distractingly bad. I wish I could have turned it off.

BananaKing

I finished The Invincible today. It was pretty good, but I had no idea it had a branching story. I thought it was linear with a couple fake options. Really interesting experience to analyze.

Story was interesting and it's a game I'd recommend, although the gameplay was slow. I think you might like it a bit more if you know that actions have consequences. Or you might like it less because the consequences seem a bit random.

First half spoilers explaining why the game felt linear with fake choices:
Spoiler for Hidden:

I found an injured astronaut that I was trying to save. I took off my oxygen tank and gave it to the injured astronaut, since he needed all the help he could get. The game played this up as an important choice, yet the injured astronaut still died and I found a spare oxygen tank before it ever impacted me. That sure felt like a fake choice in a linear game, but I guess there was a way to save that astronaut.

Shortly after that I was at a fork in the road. Left went to safety while right went into an enemy camp. I thought the game was linear so I took the safe path and sure enough something went wrong, forcing me into the enemy camp. Again that really reinforced that the game was linear with fake choices only.

Some times the game looked really great and felt like classic sci fi. Other times the overdone sharpening filter was distractingly bad. I wish I could have turned it off.
Ohh this sounds interesting. I'll have to check it out

Horizon

I bought Banishers Ghosts New Eden. I'll let you know my thoughts.

nnodley

Feb 12, 2024, 11:28 PM Last Edit: Feb 12, 2024, 11:31 PM by nnodley
I bought Banishers Ghosts New Eden. I'll let you know my thoughts.
I did as well. Big fan of the dev and everything I've seen I liked

Luckily I don't have any work this week at least for my contract so I can play it tomorrow a lot

nnodley

Banishers: Ghosts of New Eden - Metacritic

Not bad.  Not the greatest, but way better than suicide squad. lol

Legend

I played Manifold Garden.

It was kinda good, but I don't understand what I missed. My total play time was only 2 hours 48 minutes and I found a fair amount of things that I couldn't do anything with. Did I miss a lot of content or something? I was genuinely surprised when I got a trophy saying "opened the last door" since I thought I was only finishing the first act out of 3.

Nothing post credits is hinting at me only being partially finished so I guess I'll check out the steam achievements.

Judging as is, it had better puzzles than I expected. Still pretty simple but some of them did a great job of reinforcing the game's funky geometry. Only a couple were bad imo. Visuals were great. Story however sucked and was worse than I expected.
Spoiler for Hidden:
<br>I&#39;m no stranger to minimalistic artistic stories, but this was just 6 colors and then a rainbow. It has hints of a deeper meaning but the main stuff on screen came across as incredibly fake. Like it was imitating things without understanding why they work in other games/movies. Ending looked cool and I liked the hypercube dropping to fewer and fewer dimensions, but I was just thinking about other things like 2001 a Space Odyssey and FEZ while watching it.<br>

Also it's pretty fun to finally play this game after all these years. I followed Manifold Garden's development from the beginning and while the only thing I copied was a screenshot idea from him, I really appreciated all the stuff he shared. Also in many ways it feels like playing the older version of VizionEck/Hapax. I never used portals for large big spaces but the smaller non euclidian stuff is exactly like how old VizionEck worked for a while. I also had walls that would shift the direction of gravity and I even had small black holes that would warp space around them. Manifold Garden does all of this stuff better than I did so it's kinda like my 2014 game was just magically completed by someone else  ;D  

kitler53

I dunno what to tell you.  my playtime was higher.  like 6-7 hours.  

I will say I lost some time to getting lost.   there was that central corridor you pass through a few times as you unlock the various "wings" of the story line.   I played in there a bit and lost track of the door I was supposed to be going down.   as everything is interconnected it took me a while to find my way back. 

maybe you did the same and skipped some stuff?  

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

BananaKing

Not sure if I posted this. But recently I finished mafia definitive edition and the new saints row

I can understand why the new saints row disappointed it's fan base. And why it's flopped.

Mafia was very very good. Solid story. Fantastic voice acting. Solid mission design and levels. Overall it had a great feel and atmosphere to it as well. Great story telling too. Enjoyed it a lot.

nnodley

Just a bit into Banishers. Its pretty solid. Voice acting is great, dialogue seems good so far. Character models are really good and environments look pretty stunning.  Not the absolute most detailed, but its good.

Gameplay is so far good. Takes a bit to figure out how best to switch between Red and Antea(the protagonists). But i'm excited where things will go as abilities get unlocked.

Legend

I dunno what to tell you.  my playtime was higher.  like 6-7 hours.  

I will say I lost some time to getting lost.   there was that central corridor you pass through a few times as you unlock the various "wings" of the story line.   I played in there a bit and lost track of the door I was supposed to be going down.   as everything is interconnected it took me a while to find my way back.

maybe you did the same and skipped some stuff?  
I checked achievements and it seems that I did a full regular playthrough.

I liked falling through those long empty hallways so that would have saved some time, but I got lost once too. I also spent a fair amount of time taking blocks out of their areas because I expected secret uses.

I think I'll replay it and go for that last trophy.

Legend

I played Manifold Garden again for my missing achievements. This time it took 5 hours and 24 minutes, and man am I glad that I spoiled the beginning of this run because otherwise I wouldn't have bothered.

It's not just a couple extra collectables, but essentially a second campaign that is woven within the first. I highly recommend it just because it adds a lot more to the game. Was frustrating at times with both glitches and mindless hide and seek sections, but had a lot of great moments too. Still haven't accessed one area I saw through windows so there might be even more.

Spoiler for Hidden:
<br>Ending was worse, which is lame, but it also didn&#39;t have the random color cutscenes so I think it was better overall. I loved the idea of revisiting levels in a unique order and using parts for a completely different purpose. I just wish it was a bit more guided and structured at times. It was great when I had a goal and explored to solve that goal but it sucked when I had no goal and just needed to comb the world for something that wasn&#39;t part of the first campaign.<br><br>

SWORDF1SH

I played Manifold Garden again for my missing achievements. This time it took 5 hours and 24 minutes, and man am I glad that I spoiled the beginning of this run because otherwise I wouldn't have bothered.

It's not just a couple extra collectables, but essentially a second campaign that is woven within the first. I highly recommend it just because it adds a lot more to the game. Was frustrating at times with both glitches and mindless hide and seek sections, but had a lot of great moments too. Still haven't accessed one area I saw through windows so there might be even more.

Spoiler for Hidden:

Ending was worse, which is lame, but it also didn't have the random color cutscenes so I think it was better overall. I loved the idea of revisiting levels in a unique order and using parts for a completely different purpose. I just wish it was a bit more guided and structured at times. It was great when I had a goal and explored to solve that goal but it sucked when I had no goal and just needed to comb the world for something that wasn't part of the first campaign.

There's a way to complete the game without using the dark cubes. I didn't attempt it, it seemed like it would take a while to do. Maybe attempt to do thatl unless that's what you already did on your second run.

Go Up