Battle of the Backlog

Started by Legend, Aug 05, 2019, 08:19 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

kitler53

Started Medieval. But I kind of think it might be better for PS5.  Bunch of loading screens.
oh yeah, let me know how this game feels to you.  i've been kind of 50/50 on picking this game up.   it looks like my kind of game but at the same time i've felt a little burnt on some of the remasters i purchased this gen.   not that they were bad games but as a guy who never played the original (and thus no nostalgia) some of the quirks of the ps2 era (like save points) are annoying enough to reduce my enjoyment.  

was kind of afraid that medevil would fall into that category for me.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Dr. Pezus

I never used to build up backlogs so I barely bothered with this thread, but here I am now!

Definitely playing:

F1 2020 (currently playing, PS4)
Xenoblade Chronicles DE (currently playing, Switch)
Ori and the Will of the Whisps (PC)
Halo the Master Chief Collection (PC)
Rise of the Tomb Raider (PS4)
Control (PS4)

Maybe playing:

Ys Memories of Calceta (PC)
The Legend of Heroes Trails in the Sky (PC)
The Legend of Heroes Trails in the Sky SC (PC)

The above are still on my list from the only time I made a small list in this thread, lol. I guess I just don't care enough about playing them but I haven't given up on them yet.

Ghost of Tsushima should be arriving tomorrow and I'll probably play that through to the end before I pick anything else back up.
Uncharted TLL is fantastic, the ending set piece is the best Uncharted set piece too.
How is F1?

Xevross

How is F1?
Its great, probably the biggest yearly jump for any F1 game. My team mode is a great addition.

the-pi-guy

Added some games to my backlog  :'(

PS4:
Final Fantasy VIII Remastered
Battlefield 1 (it was $3 on the summer sale).

oh yeah, let me know how this game feels to you.  i've been kind of 50/50 on picking this game up.   it looks like my kind of game but at the same time i've felt a little burnt on some of the remasters i purchased this gen.   not that they were bad games but as a guy who never played the original (and thus no nostalgia) some of the quirks of the ps2 era (like save points) are annoying enough to reduce my enjoyment.  

was kind of afraid that medevil would fall into that category for me.
You might like it.  
Saves are a little annoying. Some larger levels and the game saves automatically only when you finish a level.  But not too bothersome for me.  

Loading is more bothersome. Like 6 second load to the map, 6 second load to a level.  I don't know the exact length, just that it's longer than I'd like.

Other than those issues, its a decent amount of fun.  

kitler53

Added some games to my backlog  :'(

PS4:
Final Fantasy VIII Remastered
Battlefield 1 (it was $3 on the summer sale).
You might like it.  
Saves are a little annoying. Some larger levels and the game saves automatically only when you finish a level.  But not too bothersome for me.  

Loading is more bothersome. Like 6 second load to the map, 6 second load to a level.  I don't know the exact length, just that it's longer than I'd like.

Other than those issues, its a decent amount of fun.  

yeah, might still pick it up but leaning towards no on that review.  i have quite the backlog already so i don't really need to spend more on only average games. 

Xevross

Jul 28, 2020, 09:16 PM Last Edit: Jul 28, 2020, 09:30 PM by Xevross
Played through Ghost and played more of F1 and Xenoblade. My thoughts on Ghost are in that thread, in short I give it 9.1/10 its fantastic.

XC is pretty good but its an RPG I'm already getting fairly tired with yet again. So many quests that are just: read a load of textboxes about some random shame -> teleport somewhere -> kill x amount of enemies / pick x of something up -> teleport and go back and read through textboxes about random shame again. Some are streamlined and don't make you return which is nice but some are really annoying in that the NPC/ enemy is only around at a certain time of day with no indication when so you just have to trial and error time skip until they appear, its just dumb. Also quest markers on the map don't show unless you're in that map area so you have to teleport somewhere first just to check the map to see the markers and teleport again. You have to do lots of side quests to keep up with the level for the main quest even though they're rubbish and boring, but that's just how most RPGs work.

The game's combat system is interesting but a little messy and awkward to manage sometimes. The story is good but delivery is weird and it feels especially bad after playing through two Sony games recently. Overall after 17 hours I'm just not seeing how this game earned an 89 review average in 2020, but RPGs and JRPGs especially often are forgiven for so much tedium and bad design that it doesn't really surprise me. I skipped over a lot that I am liking about the game though, I still think it feels like a 7/10 so far perhaps.

Also started in Control. Its weird and runs like dog on base PS4, those are my main two observations so far. I'm liking it though, definitely looking forward to playing it through to the end.

the-pi-guy

I'm having a harder and harder time justifying playing Medievil.  

Early on, it was definitely a lot of fun.  

But the annoyances have been building up.  Dying in a level, might mean having to redo a fairly large section.  

It averages about 9 hrs according to howlongtobeat.  

20 levels apparently. That's like 27 minutes a level.  Redoing a level can be annoying enough.  Getting stuck on a level a few times is that much worse.  

I think I'd recommend getting it real cheap and deciding if it's something you want to put up with.  

So far I'm leaning towards yes, but it has been going the other way.

Dr. Pezus

Played through Ghost and played more of F1 and Xenoblade. My thoughts on Ghost are in that thread, in short I give it 9.1/10 its fantastic.

XC is pretty good but its an RPG I'm already getting fairly tired with yet again. So many quests that are just: read a load of textboxes about some random shame -> teleport somewhere -> kill x amount of enemies / pick x of something up -> teleport and go back and read through textboxes about random shame again. Some are streamlined and don't make you return which is nice but some are really annoying in that the NPC/ enemy is only around at a certain time of day with no indication when so you just have to trial and error time skip until they appear, its just dumb. Also quest markers on the map don't show unless you're in that map area so you have to teleport somewhere first just to check the map to see the markers and teleport again. You have to do lots of side quests to keep up with the level for the main quest even though they're rubbish and boring, but that's just how most RPGs work.

The game's combat system is interesting but a little messy and awkward to manage sometimes. The story is good but delivery is weird and it feels especially bad after playing through two Sony games recently. Overall after 17 hours I'm just not seeing how this game earned an 89 review average in 2020, but RPGs and JRPGs especially often are forgiven for so much tedium and bad design that it doesn't really surprise me. I skipped over a lot that I am liking about the game though, I still think it feels like a 7/10 so far perhaps.

Also started in Control. Its weird and runs like dog on base PS4, those are my main two observations so far. I'm liking it though, definitely looking forward to playing it through to the end.
Interested to hear more about control. Some people called it one of their favorite games  :o

I added spyro trilogy and dmc5 to my massive backlog lol. Also have not touched Mario Rabbids Xcom game

I have made some progress in Super Mario though. Finished metro city I think. I wonder how far into it I am.

Xevross

Interested to hear more about control. Some people called it one of their favorite games  :o

I added spyro trilogy and dmc5 to my massive backlog lol. Also have not touched Mario Rabbids Xcom game

I have made some progress in Super Mario though. Finished metro city I think. I wonder how far into it I am.
Yeah maybe the story will blow me away but the performance is pretty jarring coming off a game like GoT. Load times are so long and the game ffreezes occasionally, seems to be consistently below 30fps. Its bizarre. I heard it was bad at launch which is why I never got it but I figured they'd have fixed it by now.

The story and setting so far is just weird too and not neccessarily in a good way yet. I'm definitely seeing why it got low 80s on meta/ open for sure but its wild to me that it still won about 30 GOTY awards with that metascore and with my experience so far. It feels like it could be a very solid 8/10 game (not considering performance) but we'll see.

Dr. Pezus

Yeah maybe the story will blow me away but the performance is pretty jarring coming off a game like GoT. Load times are so long and the game ffreezes occasionally, seems to be consistently below 30fps. Its bizarre. I heard it was bad at launch which is why I never got it but I figured they'd have fixed it by now.

The story and setting so far is just weird too and not neccessarily in a good way yet. I'm definitely seeing why it got low 80s on meta/ open for sure but its wild to me that it still won about 30 GOTY awards with that metascore and with my experience so far. It feels like it could be a very solid 8/10 game (not considering performance) but we'll see.
Yeah seems like it had problems on all consoles, but the least in xb1x.
Control on console is brilliant - as long as you play on the right hardware • Eurogamer.net

the-pi-guy

Now I'm feeling better about it.  

Really comes down to a couple atrocious levels.  One of which has some of the worst frame rate drops ive seen on console.

As a game I like 80% of it so far.

kitler53

i really want to play control but saw all the performance issues.  i'm going to hold out for the inevitable better running version on ps5.

Dr. Pezus

i really want to play control but saw all the performance issues.  i'm going to hold out for the inevitable better running version on ps5.
It's already announced btw

Xevross

Aug 01, 2020, 03:18 PM Last Edit: Aug 01, 2020, 03:21 PM by Xevross
Well Control was shame. 29 game of the year awards? I don't think I've ever been so utterly baffled.

the-pi-guy

I'm about 60% done with Medievil. Not able to play very much.  

But overall I would say:
9/10 at its best.  
5/10 at its worst.  
8/10 overall probably.  

The game gets easier if you do different levels.  If you are having trouble with one, sometimes it helps immensely to go to the other level that's available.  Getting different weapons that make it possible to kill a type of enemy. Getting health boosts.  
It makes it feel like there's a specific order that the levels should be played.

And again, the levels are on the larger side with no checkpoints. Which for the most part hasn't been an issue.  But it means if you die in a level, it might end up being 30 minutes to an hour before you make any progress.  

Load times again are on the high end.  Load to the map, load a level is quite lengthy.  

Well Control was shame. 29 game of the year awards? I don't think I've ever been so utterly baffled.
I'm curious.  

Go Up