Starship flight 3

Started by Legend, Dec 19, 2023, 05:27 AM

previous topic - next topic

Linked Events

Legend

Dec 19, 2023, 05:27 AM Last Edit: Mar 13, 2024, 08:11 PM by Legend

Probably launching in February but could come sooner if all the preflight tests go smoothly.

Legend

Ship has passed its tests. Now booster will do testing.

At this pace they'll be ready to launch in a week! (still no faa news though)

Legend

Dec 29, 2023, 06:13 PM Last Edit: Dec 29, 2023, 09:01 PM by Legend

First attempted a static fire before Christmas but it was called off. There were rumors that the booster almost exploded and that things would need to be replaced, but I guess that was false.

Hopefully the data looks good. SpaceX could be ready to launch within two weeks. Just need FAA approval.

edt: amazing drone view

and data is good with all 33 firing.

Legend

Legend

Still waiting on FAA, so will not be in February.

Legend

Just so cool seeing these rockets mature in design.

Legend

It's March now! That means it's probably launch month!

Legend

Legend

I love when the bombs show up. The explosives on their backs are used to blow up the rocket if something goes off nominal.

Launch is progressing towards 3/14. I expect it to be delayed, the FAA has a habit of that, but a launch on Pi day would be pretty fun. I think I'm most nervous about early stages of the rocket. Is raptor super reliable now, or was it a fluke that every engine worked perfectly last time? I think if it makes it through max q without issues starting to pop up, I predict everything will go exactly to plan up till reentry. Perfect booster splashdown, perfect fuel transfer demo, perfect door, and perfect deorbit burn.

Starship can lose tiles and still survive probably but how many can it lose? Most people are really pessimistic about this so instead I'll predict that starship will survive reentry with some damage but still in mostly one piece.

SWORDF1SH

Legend

Yeah next launch is next month if everything goes right.

Might be this year, might be next, but Starship launches are going to start feeling normal. Falcon Heavy has only had 9 launches for comparison.

Legend

Legend

Legend

Great launch so far. Seemingly perfect ascent and boostback. First stage had some issue when trying to land, looking like a hot entry which caused some damage.

Starship upperstage is coasting in space right now. Tested payload door, and in a half hour will test an engine relight and reentry.

Legend

Well I think the door just broke lol.