Science General Discussion

Started by Legend, Sep 02, 2014, 07:17 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Legend

https://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/drggcs/why_do_cosmologists_hypothesize_the_existence_of/f6izyaa/
Their one point about colliding galaxies made me skeptical since planets and stars survive stuff like that but I didn't realize 90% of the galaxy's mass was from hot gass.

the-pi-guy

Legend

I didn't know newer chargers had brains at all. That's pretty cool.

the-pi-guy

the-pi-guy

Of course the SI units of length is really not much better except that all the units of length are related by powers of 10. I don't mean to downplay the tremendous advantage of working in consistently in a given base, like base 10. I'm not knocking metric: it's great. But is it really so scientific and sensible to define a meter as:

the distance that light emitted by a cesium 133 atom transitioning between the two hyperfine levels of its ground state will travel as it vibrates exactly 9,192,631,770 / 299,792,458 times?
A careful study of where these numbers came from would lead us down some very tangled paths, just like the question why there are 63360 inches in a mile.
inches

the-pi-guy

*Bump*

Would be nice to get back into sciencing.

Legend

*Bump*

Would be nice to get back into sciencing.
Before he said what he was going for, I was wondering if he never heard of kinect.

Also wouldn't this fall apart with universe expansion and cmb, unless they all were super funky too?

the-pi-guy

Legend

Haha you have to have a high IQ to understand this one.

Windows are so crazy.

Legend

I've been laughing at my own dumb joke for 15 minutes. Maybe my sense of humor is broken, but I haven't felt this alive in a while.

the-pi-guy

The universe is so strange.  
What came before?  Is there anything outside of it?  Is there a multiverse?

The universe is so opposite of everything we experience.  Turtles all the way down, almost starts to seem like it makes more sense.  

Legend

The universe is so strange.  
What came before?  Is there anything outside of it?  Is there a multiverse?

The universe is so opposite of everything we experience.  Turtles all the way down, almost starts to seem like it makes more sense.  
I've been thinking about that a lot as of late.

The universe is so incredibly young. 14 billion years is peanuts compared to the cosmic scale. It's terrifies me far more than the universe ending.

the-pi-guy

I've been thinking about that a lot as of late.

The universe is so incredibly young. 14 billion years is peanuts compared to the cosmic scale. It's terrifies me far more than the universe ending.
The past 4 months have been weird.  
For a while I was terrified about the universe ending.  It's terrifying that not only will I be gone, but everything I'm made of, and everything that is made up and the entire universe will eventually decay.  

But the past month or two I've been thinking more about the beginning of the universe.  It doesn't terrify that much.  But when you really stop and think about it, it doesn't make any sense that we are here.  

I know I've said this before.
The existence of the universe is so incompatible with how the universe itself works.  Everything that we know has a beginning, is contained in something.  Unless there are universes all the way down, there must be a universe that isn't contained in anything.  Maybe there are other options like two universes are inside of each other or something, but either way no option makes sense.  
None of it is compatible with our understanding of how our universe works.

It's terrifying, because it almost feels like the universe is a contradiction and we shouldn't exist.  

At the same time, somehow we are here.  It feels like we are some kind of miracle that had a 0% chance of happening.  Makes it feel just a little less terrifying to me.

the-pi-guy

He's so young. Wow.  :O

Legend

Go Up