NPD October 2018: PS4 #1, PS4XB1 up by over 60% yoy, CoD still king

Started by Dr. Pezus, Nov 20, 2018, 01:27 PM

previous topic - next topic

Xevross

Ps4 2014 was forgivable because 2013 was so good. What was MS excuse? And no they deserved good sales because they singlehandedly stopped Microsoft killing used sales.

Mentioning Forza as a reason they'd a good year is like mentioning Sony had one because they released yet another highly rated MLB. It's embarrassing it's come to this. Sea of thieves may be liked by a few but it was hated by many. It's their NMS of this gen.

Again I'd hate to see s company have such a bad 10 year software output (2010-2020) turn things around so easily. They should be made earn it. 4 or 5 years of top class output like Sony or Nintendo and I'll say xbox deserves good sales.

I also don't think they'll have a good gen. Remember the gap is widening between the xbox and ps brands. By the time next gen comes xbox will be so irrelevant in so many countries it would be like climbing everest to become successful.
Their "excuse" is that they had a good 2016 and 2017 and they had a good 2019 lined up with many more games to come after that. Sony didn't singlehandedly stop MS doing that, they put pressure on them and it was the fan backlash that did it. I'm sure even without Sony they would have caved at some point. And since then they learned from that and added things like BC, which is much more than anything Sony has done.

Lmao, you can't compare MLB and Forza. One is just an incremental sports game that only a small amount of people in America care about, and the other is by far the best racing franchise this generation, which mixes it up each year, is overall much better quality and is loved across the world.

They are being made to earn it, they've bought like 7 new studios, more than doubling the current port-folio. I seriously don't get why you hate Xbox so much, what have they even done to you? Sony were just as bad at the start of last generation, saying things like "get a second job" to people who couldn't afford PS3. These companies all make mistakes, and MS have shown time and time again over the last few years that they are learning from their mistakes. Meanwhile, Sony is slowly starting to get worse again in terms of business practice.

Kerotan

Nov 22, 2018, 04:35 PM Last Edit: Nov 22, 2018, 04:42 PM by Kerotan
Their "excuse" is that they had a good 2016 and 2017 and they had a good 2019 lined up with many more games to come after that. Sony didn't singlehandedly stop MS doing that, they put pressure on them and it was the fan backlash that did it. I'm sure even without Sony they would have caved at some point. And since then they learned from that and added things like BC, which is much more than anything Sony has done.

Lmao, you can't compare MLB and Forza. One is just an incremental sports game that only a small amount of people in America care about, and the other is by far the best racing franchise this generation, which mixes it up each year, is overall much better quality and is loved across the world.

They are being made to earn it, they've bought like 7 new studios, more than doubling the current port-folio. I seriously don't get why you hate Xbox so much, what have they even done to you? Sony were just as bad at the start of last generation, saying things like "get a second job" to people who couldn't afford PS3. These companies all make mistakes, and MS have shown time and time again over the last few years that they are learning from their mistakes. Meanwhile, Sony is slowly starting to get worse again in terms of business practice.
How many Forzas this gen? The fact a racing game is their shining light is pathetic. 1 year OK, but every year it's nearly Forza their standout game.

Agreed with Sony at the start of last gen. They deserved the sales they got and MS deserved the good sales. But they earned it through years of hard work. 10 years of good Software output Sony have now given us and it's not slowing down. Sony deserve what they now have.

MS imo don't and until they have 3 or 4 years of top class SW output I'll continuing hoping they do shame. But it's hilarious seeing some people start edging for MS again. I mean they royally iced you all up the dog for a decade now while Sony have provided the ultimate fan service yet you feel MS starting to edge Sony.

In most countries WW the xbox brand is now utterly irrelevant so I'm clearly not the only one that thinks xbox is shame.

And just another thing Xev on businesses practices. Last time i checked Sony are bundling spiderman with a ps4 for 199. GOW on sale after only 7 months for $17. Horizon complete edition $9.99. Lost Legacy $9.99. Uncharted 4 $9.99. PS Plus $39.99.

In terms of the consumer this screams good business moves. Sony are providing what the consumer wants and at the right price. PR Phil might have brainwashed a few of you but the mass market don't agree. You probably think no cross play with xbox on ps4 was a big deal but don't bat an eye lid when MS force people to buy like for F2P games.

kitler53

lol. mlb would be as big as forza if sony promoted it like ms has had to since it has accounted for half their retail quality exclusives each and every year this gen. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Kerotan

lol. mlb would be as big as forza if sony promoted it like ms has had to since it has accounted for half their retail quality exclusives each and every year this gen.
While i agree it would be bigger in that scenario I don't know if it would be bigger then Forza. However Forza sales are also lower then we think. There's a reason MS don't give the number of actual sales. Because it would sound so much less impressive.

Last gen at least we halo, gears, fable, Forza. Looks like this gen that's been downgraded to just Forza lmao. Imagine Sony this year release MLB and a broken indie level title like NMS or SOT. I'd fudgy slate them. But at least they'd have an excuse of great years previous and great games coming.

MS have pulled a load of quick fixes to save their console business. They deserve absolutely no support until they've 3 or 3 years of solid top quality SW releases and have proved themselves. Otherwise it sends the message that they can shame all over the industry and get away with it with a few quick fixes.

Xevross

Nov 22, 2018, 05:04 PM Last Edit: Nov 22, 2018, 05:07 PM by Xevross
How many Forzas this gen? The fact a racing game is their shining light is pathetic. 1 year OK, but every year it's nearly Forza their standout game.

Agreed with Sony at the start of last gen. They deserved the sales they got and MS deserved the good sales. But they earned it through years of hard work. 10 years of good Software output Sony have now given us and it's not slowing down. Sony deserve what they now have.

MS imo don't and until they have 3 or 4 years of top class SW output I'll continuing hoping they do shame. But it's hilarious seeing some people start edging for MS again. I mean they royally iced you all up the dog for a decade now while Sony have provided the ultimate fan service yet you feel MS starting to edge Sony.

In most countries WW the xbox brand is now utterly irrelevant so I'm clearly not the only one that thinks xbox is shame.

And just another thing Xev on businesses practices. Last time i checked Sony are bundling spiderman with a ps4 for 199. GOW on sale after only 7 months for $17. Horizon complete edition $9.99. Lost Legacy $9.99. Uncharted 4 $9.99. PS Plus $39.99.

In terms of the consumer this screams good business moves. Sony are providing what the consumer wants and at the right price. PR Phil might have brainwashed a few of you but the mass market don't agree. You probably think no cross play with xbox on ps4 was a big deal but don't bat an eye lid when MS force people to buy like for F2P games.
Sure their software output has been weak, but the Forzas have been fantastic so its not a surprise forza is often their best game of the year. The quality of their first parties is lacking, which is why I stick with playstation consoles, but they're clearly trying to improve now.

I don't like MS's output enough to buy their next gen console, so I guess you could say I'm waiting a few years to see what they do but I'm not going to say I hate it if they do well, and I don't think they should be made to earn anything. Its just not enough to interest me, yet.

Sony has a great strategy with offering their games for cheap to draw more people in to buy PS4 this BF, but MS has good deals too. You can't say that slashing prices on BF is doing it just to provide us with the games we want, its all business moves. And anyway, black friday deals are abundant, everyone does them so you'd have to say the same for most companies.

As far as I'm concerned game pass is a much more pro consumer move than any of that, letting you play their exclusives at launch for less than $10 is pretty nuts. Not to mention having access to 240+ games, including new games, for $9.99 a month and often less.

No it wouldn't, baseball isn't a very popular sport. The people who would be in the market for it already know about it and probably buy it already, no amount of promotion will increase MLB sales by any significant amount. Forza is a much bigger, more global franchise. Racing games, while declining, is still a big and well loved genre, and forza has dominated it this gen. That's for good reason too, they're the best racing games and they come out each year, and they're different enough each year to feel fresh.

Kerotan

Gamepass is another quick fix. You'd think they'd do it if they had a 1st party lineup like Sony or Nintendo? It shows just how bad things have gotten.
PS now is bigger and has more potential anyway.

When I say I'd hate for them to be doing well now I just think how utterly depressed I'd be if i owned an xbox instead of my ps4. I'd be pulling the hair out of my head. They don't deserve shame atm. It's easy to make promises but until i see years of solid output I won't give them any credit.

And who's to say next gen they will have an awesome first 3 or 4 years of support then utterly drop the ball the second half of the gen. We've seen them do that before. Actions speak louder then words in my book.

And don't worry about buying an xbox next gen. A PC will have that platform covered. Even less reason to own the console. All exclusives coming to pc.

Xevross

Gamepass is another quick fix. You'd think they'd do it if they had a 1st party lineup like Sony or Nintendo? It shows just how bad things have gotten.
PS now is bigger and has more potential anyway.

When I say I'd hate for them to be doing well now I just think how utterly depressed I'd be if i owned an xbox instead of my ps4. I'd be pulling the hair out of my head. They don't deserve shame atm. It's easy to make promises but until i see years of solid output I won't give them any credit.

And who's to say next gen they will have an awesome first 3 or 4 years of support then utterly drop the ball the second half of the gen. We've seen them do that before. Actions speak louder then words in my book.

And don't worry about buying an xbox next gen. A PC will have that platform covered. Even less reason to own the console. All exclusives coming to pc.
Well we can't answer that, and game pass may only exist to make up for their poor output, but its still a great value service.

PS Now perhaps has more potential, but Sony aren't putting any new games on it, which means it lacks as much value right now, to someone like me anyway.

XB1 has still sold a lot, and a lot of people are still very happy with it. It gets great 3rd party support, and their first party is good enough for most of their fans. The only difference between them and Sony is two big games a year, which if you're not a big fan of Sony games you're not going to notice anyway, since most systems get dozens of big games a year. I will always say PS4 is the better product and is much better value, but there's a lot of people out there who are perfectly happy with XB1.

We'll see what they do next gen, the buying of all these studios shows good intentions but who knows how it will turn out. At least they're trying.

Well of course, I'm very happy xbox are putting their games on PC, it means I get to play all of them. That's actually a very pro consumer move, much more pro consumer than Sony.

Kerotan

Xbox may have sold well as you say but I don't believe you can just say many are happy with it like its some high %. A huge portion of xb1 buyers will not buy xbox next gen after this shame show. Just look at resale value for the consoles. I was in gamestop this week and a ps4 slim second hand cost 100 more then the xbox slim. That tells me they are trading in xboxs at a much higher rate then ps4s and who can blame them.

Go Up