The VR thread. U R Not red(e) PSVR2 is legitimate!

Started by Mmm_fish_tacos, Sep 05, 2015, 06:10 PM

previous topic - next topic

How sick of Pi's VR hype are you?

Go Down

Legend

the-pi-guy

According to https://www.sony.com/en/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/irday/pdf/2021/GNS_E.pdf

Next gen psvr uses a single wire to connect to PS5.
They announced that in the first blog post. 

It will connect to PS5 with a single cord to simplify setup and improve ease-of-use, while enabling a high-fidelity visual experience.
February 23rd Eck thread

Pretty much the first thing we knew about it.

Legend

They announced that in the first blog post.  

February 23rd Eck thread

Pretty much the first thing we knew about it.
lol you could have reminded me about that when we were talking about wifi streaming.

the-pi-guy

lol you could have reminded me about that when we were talking about wifi streaming.
What if I told you I did?  
:o

A while ago, the head of VR research at Sony mentioned the possibility of two models, one that is wired and one that is wireless.  

So I didn't completely shut you down with that, because it's not impossible and it seems likely they put in high end wifi for a reason.

the-pi-guy

According to https://www.sony.com/en/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/irday/pdf/2021/GNS_E.pdf

Next gen psvr uses a single wire to connect to PS5.
I think the more interesting point here is "releasing experiences that are synonymous with PlayStation"

ASOBI Team: Astrobot 2
Polyphony Digital: Gran Turismo 7
London Studio: ???
Insomniac Games?: ???
Media Molecule: Dreams maybe and something else???

the-pi-guy

I bought a Quest 2.  Got a really good deal on it.  
Buy a Quest 2 today, get $100 off of a second headset, now through 9/27.* Free shipping. Easy Returns.
It's really, honestly good. This is what Rift wished it was, honestly.  

Resolution is good. It could definitely be better, but it's crisp. It's good enough that it's hard to complain about the experience.  Reading text and watching a few YouTube videos looked actually good.
I would describe it like moving from a standard definition TV to an HD TV.

Pass through is something I would describe as just being in good enough territory. So pass through is where you can see the real world, it's basically a recreation stitched together from the 4 cameras. It largely works. It's all in black and white, and quality wise I would describe it more as the original Rift quality. It's noticeably lower resolution than the display, and the recreation has artifacts besides.
It works really well on certain things.  It's not really good at picking up finer details, to the point where I can't see my phone in VR. It's nowhere near good enough. I can see where the floor is, where small dogs are, where children are. It's really good at that kind of thing.
There were some funny limitations. Like I was looking at my parent's microwave clock, and I usually could only see 2 of the 3 numbers of the clock. It would roll from one number to the next, on which one would disappear.  
It's also not good at things that get too close to the headset. Someone walked past me, and there were a couple points where their head kind of warped.  

But aside from that, it was pretty cool. I actually tried walking up the stairs with it. It was a weird experience walking through a doorway and going up the stairs in VR like that. But it worked incredibly well. There's just some easy to point out places for improvement.  

I have no complaints about tracking. I am sure it wasn't perfect, but I didn't immediately see any weaknesses, and it's definitely a huge step up from PSVR.

I was very surprised that there was audio from the headset. I was just used to PSVR requiring headphones, and Oculus Rift having those ear muffs.   ;D Apparently the Oculus Go already had this kind of audio device:
Oculus Go is a standalone $199 VR headset that doesn't need a PC, a phone,  or wires - OculusVR - Good Gear Guide
It was surprisingly good. It doesn't cover the ears, and it just sounds good enough for me at least.  Audiophiles might disagree.

The other big thing to talk about is PC gaming. And that works astonishingly well.
I used to be worried:
What resolution do we think PSVR 2 will be capable of hitting?

Part of me is worried because 10 Gbps isn't a lot for uncompressed video, of course compressed video can go quite a bit further.
But it works great actually, even at a fraction of the bandwidth.  
To use the headset through USB C, you need a 5 Gbps, (USB 3.0 connection). Whereas PSVR2 will likely have a 10 Gbps connection at a only slightly higher resolution.  

Was even able to get it to work wirelessly with my parent's wireless setup.  And the experience was even better than the Rift.

So overall, really, really good, and I'm excited to think that PSVR2 will be even better than this.

My only real complaint is that the strap is not great.

Legend

That sounds incredible. If it wasn't for the Facebook side of things a quest 2 would prob be my most wanted item. As is I'll prob give it a few more years before upgrading from my og rift.

the-pi-guy

That sounds incredible. If it wasn't for the Facebook side of things a quest 2 would prob be my most wanted item. As is I'll prob give it a few more years before upgrading from my og rift.
I'm probably overselling it a bit. :D
I'm really happy.

One thing I will say though, is that I'm still convinced Oculus has some of the buggiest software for a big company.

the-pi-guy

My 3 big complaints:

1.) A lot of the best stuff is still only on PC. Including stuff like Minecraft.  

2.) The strap is the worst one I've used. It often slides down my face. Kind of ruins the point of a good screen, if you can't have it lined up right.

3.) Software is fairly buggy. @Legend, you've complained about the set up quite a bit for the other headsets. And when it works, it works great. You can pretty much take your headset out of the cabinet and just turn it on. No wires, no setting up the sensors, just put it on your head and it's good to go.
Though sometimes it doesn't work. It's like the Guardian takes a bit to load, sometimes. Like it will start up with an error message that it can't find your room set up.
Sometimes it will still just load in after that, a couple of times I've opted to redraw the lines, because it takes so long to come up.

With that said, even when it doesn't work, it still is very easy. It is more in the seconds. You stand in the middle of the room, and you draw an outline.

Still, there's a lot of little stuff like that. Oculus/Facebook has some really bad software. Software seems like an afterthought to them, and it's weird how bad it is. At least the bugs are only minor annoyances, but still it's like if Bethesda made an Operating System.

Legend

the-pi-guy

It's a pretty big month for VR.

Legend

the-pi-guy

Legend

Giant sunglass look, interesting.

Cool that people don't need to wear glasses with it, but at first I got my hopes up that it had variable focus. (I don't wear glasses but that's what it does right?)

Go Up