PC Community Thread

Started by the-pi-guy, Jul 31, 2014, 02:28 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Xevross

I'm glad my 1060 is now getting to use all of its juice. It was only working at 70% before.

I'm also quite shocked a 1060 can run Forza horizon 4 at 1440p 60fps with ultra settings. Very impressive.

darkknightkryta

Nvidia's mid range cards are always impressive.  My 560 Ti lasted me up until last year.  It would probably last now too at 720p and low to medium settings.

the-pi-guy

I follow the age of empires 2 community on Reddit.  Apparently a lot of people there like watching streamers play the game. There was even someone being obnoxious asking how it is possible someone didn't know who some streamer was.  

Yeah windows 10 is a greedy RAM joker.

Makes sense. I don't know computers very well  ::)

Fun fact.  Loading something from memory is actually one of the most expensive basic operations time wise.  

Legend

I follow the age of empires 2 community on Reddit.  Apparently a lot of people there like watching streamers play the game. There was even someone being obnoxious asking how it is possible someone didn't know who some streamer was.  

Streaming is just part of day to day life now. It's weird thinking of streaming as being established. Same with esports. So many commercials nowadays include esports.

Fun fact.  Loading something from memory is actually one of the most expensive basic operations time wise.  
Streaming is also very important with that too!  ::)

the-pi-guy

Streaming is just part of day to day life now. It's weird thinking of streaming as being established. Same with esports. So many commercials nowadays include esports.
Yeah, not a fan though. :P

I don't watch sports, and I don't watch esports. 

Streaming is also very important with that too!  ::)
Yeah.  ::)

Fun stuff. 
I'd like to learn more about computer organization. 

Legend

darkknightkryta

So I was thinking of getting the Street Fighter Arcade1up cabinet.  I was planning to gut out their android machine and put in a PC capable of playing Street Fighter V and below.  Hot dang are PC parts expensive.  A pentium, motherboard, 1x16gb ram, 256 m2 drive, and a 1050 TI is over 600 dollars!  A Ryzen 5 APU is only a hundred dollars cheaper.  All more expensive than a PS4 pro.  No case or PSU either.

Legend

Yeah that's a tough cookie. Go too cheap and you risk the possibility of it just not being worth it.

Kerotan

The biggest scam of this century. Single player beta scheduled for Q2 2020. It will be lucky to even happen in 2020. What a shame show. Might as well port to ps5 at this rate.

Star Citizen creators takes on $46m investment, release financials, Squadron 42 Beta target Q2 2020 | ResetEra

In a crazy day of news...

Cloud Imperium Games released the Squadron 42 roadmap with the target date of being in Beta in Q2 of 2020 : https://robertsspaceindustries.com/roadmap/board/2-Squadron-42

As we look forward to the holidays, I wanted to give you all a couple of updates. The first item of news is the Squadron 42 public roadmap is going live today. As with our Persistent Universe roadmap, this is linked to our company's internal JIRA tracking system, so you can see at a glance the work remaining to complete the game. It was a lot of work to make sure every remaining task was broken down in detail and estimated to the best of our ability, and the same caveats will apply to the Squadron 42 roadmap as they do to the PU one, but our plan is to be feature and content complete by the end of 2019, with the first 6 months of 2020 for Alpha (balance, optimization and polish) and then Beta.  Click to expand...  

Have taken on an $46m dollar minority investment to fund their marketing while all crowdfunding dollars will go strictly into game development, securing their independence and not needing a publisher : https://cloudimperiumgames.com/blog/letter-from-the-chairman/investment-news

Having a great game is only half the battle. As we look towards the release of Squadron 42, we have been acutely aware that having a AAA game that matches the biggest single player games out there only goes so far if no one knows about it. The games we will be competing with for attention have tens and, in some cases, hundreds of millions of dollars of advertising behind them.

Other companies in a similar situation have normally tackled this problem by partnering with a Publisher for the marketing and sales of their game. As you all know I am not in favor of putting my destiny in the hands of a third party. On the other hand, I don't feel it would be right to go back to all of you to raise funds to market the game to other people; most of you already have a copy earmarked for you and I still strongly feel that the money brought in from our crowdfunding should continue to go to the development of Star Citizen and Squadron 42.

Because of this, we started to investigate ways to raise money to fund the upcoming marketing and release needs of Squadron 42. We turned away some approaches from Private Equity and Venture Capital because we were concerned about them fully understanding what makes our company tick and pushing us towards short term decisions.

During the course of these discussions it became clear to me that if Clive and Keith joined us as investors in our company, we'd have true partners that respected what we had built, but also fully understood the ins and outs and the patience required with a business based on creating entertainment. Taking in like-minded partners helps us solve the need of funding the marketing and release of Squadron 42, but also stay attuned to what makes us special.

So, it's with this that I would like to announce that we have closed a minority investment into Cloud Imperium US & UK, from Clive's family office and Keith's Snoot Entertainment for $46M for approximately 10% of the shares in the Cloud Imperium US and UK companies, which is a testament to the value, future potential and longevity of the company.  Click to expand...  

And have released full financials from 2012 to 2017 : https://cloudimperiumgames.com/blog/corporate/cfo-comment-2012-2017-financials

​    Overall, the accounting demonstrates that the Group is diligently spending the money we are collecting from our backers and customers on the game development and publishing, as set out from the beginning. There is not a direct annual correlation of our spend to our net income. A buffer arose in the early years as we wrestled with the scope of what our customers wanted, and whilst we accelerated early deliveries through third-party contracting, we were cautious with our growth and expenditure until we could better define what was needed. Since the scope of the production has become better understood, we have been able to plan our growth and optimize our areas of expenditure while still evolving based upon our open development ethos. This allows us to focus in on the detailed areas and key technologies and content that we believe will make this ground-breaking production a great success.

The Group plans ahead based upon the project roadmap and anticipating the continued and growing support of our existing and new backers and customers. That will mean accelerating spend in certain years, to move the production forward or cover key production goals or, unapologetically, cutting back slightly in other years based upon prudent budgeting, as we have the overriding discipline of aiming to balance our foreseeable budgets against our projected collections.

At the time of writing this report we have had our best month ever since we started this journey and we expect with the continued support of our existing and new backers and customers that we will create a truly inspirational game and experience that all of those involved in the community can take credit for and truly claim they have helped achieve.  Click to expand...  

KEY POINTS :
  • Financials show ~14m in the black in 2017. Burn rate looks sustainable for years at ~500 employees.
  • $46m dollar investment for 10% of the company, plan is to use for marketing. All crowdfunded funds used directly for game development.
  • Public roadmaps for both Star Citizen and Squadron 42 now both published (Star Citizen roadmap launched last year).
  • Squadron 42 : "our plan is to be feature and content complete by the end of 2019, with the first 6 months of 2020 for Alpha (balance, optimization and polish) and then Beta."

As a Star Citizen/Squadron 42 fan - today has been a great and reassuring day. Looking forward to 2020 :)  

Dr. Pezus

Was just about to post this lol

Legend

This game is such a mess. It's really cool and awesome looking and I still am hyped for updates, but what is management doing?

SQ42 has been 1 year away for like 5 years. Heck in October of 2016 it was just two months away from launch.

darkknightkryta

Yeah that's a tough cookie. Go too cheap and you risk the possibility of it just not being worth it.
Yeah like WTF?  I'm kinda hoping someone blows open the PS4 at this point cause it'd be cheaper.

the-pi-guy

I feel like Epic Games Store gives away too many free games.  
Have yet to install any, or buy any other games.  Already have 3 games.  

Dr. Pezus

I feel like Epic Games Store gives away too many free games.  
Have yet to install any, or buy any other games.  Already have 3 games.  
What games?

the-pi-guy

What games?
-Subnautica
-Super Meat Boy
-What Remains of Edith Finch

Jack Box Party Pack is coming up for free next week.

Go Up