What has surprised us about next gen?

Viewing single post

Started by the-pi-guy, Sep 06, 2021, 04:24 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

*Your links need to be fixed. Some dumb auto formatter in the code screws them up if they are done with quotes.

Great thread idea. Very fun seeing old posts I had forgotten about.

Pandemic affected game dev a lot so the general drought is to be forgiven, but yeah Sony tried to surprise me with big games out the gate. They had TLOU2 and Ghost of Tsushima right at the end of PS4, but they tried to avoid the launch drought.

Spiderman Miles Morales and Demon's Souls were smart. They are much much smaller games but because they are significant parts of major franchises, they could demand a ton of attention. Returnal and Ratchet and Clank was also well done. If the pandemic didn't happen I'm sure Horizon 2 would have hit 2021 and combined with the moneyhats, yeah PS5 would be off racing faster than PS4.

I did not at all expect Sony to be so aggressive with the PS5 launch. Good on Jim Ryan, bad on me.

Gist of my thread and your thread has been partially true though. PS5 is doing amazing but it's not leaving Xbox in the dust. I still feel like Sony could end the gen in 3rd place if Microsoft's new studios kick out good games fast enough, but currently I feel like Xbox will be too slow with too many duds.

I tend to forget Series S exists lol. I was wrong in thinking it wasn't real, but I kinda feel like I was right for doubting its value. Right now it feels like it is bought because Series X is too hard to find, not too expensive.