Halo Infinite 4K gameplay demo

Started by Legend, Jul 23, 2020, 05:22 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Xevross

Yeah, it doesn't look good. Graphically worse than Ghost of Tsushima which I've just been playing on my base PS4 on a fairly low quality TV compared to the 1440p screen I watched this 4K footage on.

Legend

Where is this image from? It doesn't look that good...

Yeah, it doesn't look good. Graphically worse than Ghost of Tsushima which I've just been playing on my base PS4 on a fairly low quality TV compared to the 1440p screen I watched this 4K footage on.
I don't understand what the game is selling itself on. If it wasn't for the grappling hook I'd say nostalgia/return to classic Halo.

Legend

Jul 23, 2020, 05:58 PM Last Edit: Jul 23, 2020, 06:01 PM by Legend
Halo Infinite 2 Won't Be Happening, Says 343 Industries - IGN

Semi live service game. Designed to be a platform for Halo content over the next 10 years.

Would be cool with raytraced lighting. That face is really bright for looking away from the star.

Legend

Rewatched in 4k.

Not at all a next gen showcase. Most of the issues people are seeing seem to just be things that can be polished, like grass culling being a bit too aggressive. Was a nostalgia overload though and kinda still has my interest. I hope the pilot from the ship isn't a major companion though. His character seems like a huge downgrade compared to Cortana.

kitler53

Jul 23, 2020, 06:43 PM Last Edit: Jul 23, 2020, 07:04 PM by kitler53
also rewatched in 4k.   it actually looks worse then in the live show because it is so clear to see how last gen this feels in the 4k trailer.  live there was a lot of lag and resolution was lower i was imagining it was a lot due to the steam quality.   it wasn't.

Halo Infinite 2 Won't Be Happening, Says 343 Industries - IGN

Semi live service game. Designed to be a platform for Halo content over the next 10 years.

Would be cool with raytraced lighting. That face is really bright for looking away from the star.
makes sense really.  as a game this will probably be very similar to destiny and the gameplay reveled today is really in-line with that.  today's demo featured the large boring overworld with generic respawns but i'm sure there will be strikes, raids, and pvp.   dlc drops a few times a year.   making this GaaS really makes sense as MS seems obsessed with that idea.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

Much better trailer

the-pi-guy

Digital Foundry:

Unofficial MS spokesperson. /s

Legend

Also seems the demo was running on PC. Game is releasing on PC so that really doesn't matter.

I'm still interested in the game but I cannot imagine a worse possible showing. Outside of the grapple and some animations, it genuinely looks like a Halo 1 remaster. It nails that nostalgia but the open world and next gen graphics have been a huge part of its marketing. Why did they show a demo that did nothing?

Is there nothing? Is this game even open world or is it just wide with hubs and spokes?

Xevross

Also seems the demo was running on PC. Game is releasing on PC so that really doesn't matter.

I'm still interested in the game but I cannot imagine a worse possible showing. Outside of the grapple and some animations, it genuinely looks like a Halo 1 remaster. It nails that nostalgia but the open world and next gen graphics have been a huge part of its marketing. Why did they show a demo that did nothing?

Is there nothing? Is this game even open world or is it just wide with hubs and spokes?
Yeah its a legitimately terrible showing, its like they just picked a part of the game at random to show with no extra polish or consideration of why they might be showing it. In an event like this you gotta show one of the best parts of the game and you've got to spend extra time to polish it to the quality you expect the whole game to reach at launch.

Unless this section did receive extra polish. If so, yikes...

Xevross

Jul 23, 2020, 11:50 PM Last Edit: Jul 24, 2020, 12:00 AM by Xevross

God of War 2018 looks better than this game. Miles better.

Where is this image from? It doesn't look that good...

I don't understand what the game is selling itself on. If it wasn't for the grappling hook I'd say nostalgia/return to classic Halo.
Just saw that this is an official 4K shot released by Keighley on twitter.

the-pi-guy

Xbox GM responds to graphics complaints about Halo Infinite demo | ResetEra

Xbox Marketing GM Aaron Greenberg responded to criticism about Infinite's graphics, saying: "Listen, we're in the middle of a global pandemic. It's July, we're far from (launch in) Holiday, you're seeing a work-in-progress game."

Aaron: " The other thing I'll just say is: it is a work-in-progress. I can tell you, because we see build check-ins every week, and they make progress week after week, so between now and Holiday it's just going to get better and better."

Aaron responds to feedback " It's very hard to show the full power and graphical fidelity of what Xbox Series X will be able to deliver for you over a stream. Go back and look at it in 4K 60," referring to the fact that the stream was delivered live in 1080p, but the gameplay premiere can be viewed in 4K 60 FPS on the Halo YouTube channel.

More here:

www.ign.com   Halo Infinite Demo Was a Work-in-Progress Build, But Running on a PC as Powerful as Series X - IGN  Xbox Marketing GM Aaron Greenberg notes that Halo Infinite's campaign gameplay premiere displayed a "work-in-progress" build of the game.   www.ign.com www.ign.com      
[/size]

Legend

He is right. Lots of things in the demo that people are focusing on should improve a lot.

Grass popping off screen? Just a simple culling issue. Unless they are doing something funky, the fix is just increasing the bounding box.

Grass and geometry draw distances? Again very simple to improve down the line. Doesn't mean they'll be great, but they will be improved.

Fog pop in? Don't know what is causing that but it's just a bug.

Game will not become a next gen showcase but it can def get another layer of polish.

The hardest thing though is that the game looks nice. I want to play it. People would not be mocking these graphics if it was a smaller studio with an unknown ip. The problem is that for ~2 years, this game has been pushed as a tour de force for Microsoft and next gen.

kitler53

He is right. Lots of things in the demo that people are focusing on should improve a lot.

Grass popping off screen? Just a simple culling issue. Unless they are doing something funky, the fix is just increasing the bounding box.

Grass and geometry draw distances? Again very simple to improve down the line. Doesn't mean they'll be great, but they will be improved.

Fog pop in? Don't know what is causing that but it's just a bug.

Game will not become a next gen showcase but it can def get another layer of polish.

The hardest thing though is that the game looks nice. I want to play it. People would not be mocking these graphics if it was a smaller studio with an unknown ip. The problem is that for ~2 years, this game has been pushed as a tour de force for Microsoft and next gen.
with around 4 months until this ships the polish isn't going to happen even with a day-1 patch.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

with around 4 months until this ships the polish isn't going to happen even with a day-1 patch.
4 months is a long time for polish, ignoring how the pandemic is potentially impacting them.

Also in unrelated news, the multiplayer is rumored to be added post launch.

Go Up