Can DLS 2.0 be applied to DVDs?

Started by kitler53, Apr 03, 2021, 01:56 PM

previous topic - next topic

kitler53

I'm watching my easter DVDs on a 4k tv and it kind of looks like crud.  could a tech like DLS 2.0 be applied here to get rid of the jaggies?

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

I'm watching my easter DVDs on a 4k tv and it kind of looks like crud.  could a tech like DLS 2.0 be applied here to get rid of the jaggies?
No.

DLSS requires motion vectors. For every frame of color, there is also a frame showing how each pixel is moving.

Deep learning in general though, yeah that can be done. Doesn't make the image look as good as a bluray but can clean it up. Right now though it is not real time. You need to render it on your computer first.

I really look forward to smart tvs that just have all these real time features. Could have a movie in real time replace actors. Or censor language and content for kids. Or adjust mouths to match localizations. Or clean up old cgi.

the-pi-guy

DLSS 1.0 didn't require motion vectors.

DLSS 1.0 would likely work the way you want it to, but the quality is lacking.  

I'm not sure about "1.9".

Legend

DLSS 1.0 didn't require motion vectors.

DLSS 1.0 would likely work the way you want it to, but the quality is lacking.  

I'm not sure about "1.9".
I wonder when we will get 3.0 with ai selected extra data.

Like a custom buffer with something more dynamic than just motion.

Also 1.0 was trained per game. Would be interesting seeing it used on the wrong game/movie.