MS feels like they are ahead of Sony

Started by the-pi-guy, Mar 19, 2020, 02:20 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

kitler53

I feel like ever since the unreal engine reveal the tide has really turned against xbox.

the last couple of news cycles have been quite bad for xbox:
https://mp1st.com/news/microsoft-executive-says-xbox-series-x-will-learn-to-address-ps5-ssd-loading-screen-advantage
https://www.vgchartz.com/article/443885/multiplatform-games-wont-take-advantage-of-faster-ps5-ssd-according-to-ori-dev/

we'll see if sony can keep hold of the ball after Thursday's reveal but if it is good sony will have a commanding lead of the next gen mind space.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

I feel like ever since the unreal engine reveal the tide has really turned against xbox.

the last couple of news cycles have been quite bad for xbox:
https://mp1st.com/news/microsoft-executive-says-xbox-series-x-will-learn-to-address-ps5-ssd-loading-screen-advantage
https://www.vgchartz.com/article/443885/multiplatform-games-wont-take-advantage-of-faster-ps5-ssd-according-to-ori-dev/

we'll see if sony can keep hold of the ball after Thursday's reveal but if it is good sony will have a commanding lead of the next gen mind space.
I can't wait to get deep dives into what is going on behind the scenes.

It has been so incredibly obvious that a big next gen showcase would set the tone and somehow Unreal Engine is the only one out at the moment.

the-pi-guy

*bump*

And MS was doing well for a bit.  

Things have changed quite a bit since before the unreal engine demo.  People knew games were going to look good.  

Sony had a good show.  

Some were concerned that the games didn't show a generational leap. And for those people, MS's show retroactively made Sony's better.

From a consumer standpoint I think Sony was ahead the whole time.  Partly because of PS4, and because people were curious.  
But it really felt like MS was doing things right.  

kitler53

yeah.  watching the post show media this show was disastrous for Xbox, even worse than my initial thoughts. 

it is still no where near Xbox One bad but ms really needed to shine in order to cut into PlayStation's current lead.  they are not shining...

Xevross

Indeed, xbox were doing better with the core audience which is a great first step but really needed this few months to make a dent into the bigger consumer space if they wanted to cut Sony's lead in HW. Instead what's happened is Sony has solidified the wider gaming space and seems to have won over the core audience as well and that's even before Sony's imminent next showcase.

Gamepass is looking to be a real winner for xbox but I think hardware-wise its becoming clear they'll lose more ground to Sony once again this upcoming gen. They still haven't announced lockheart, so if they nail that it could turn this around. But it seems doubtful right now.

kitler53

Indeed, xbox were doing better with the core audience which is a great first step but really needed this few months to make a dent into the bigger consumer space if they wanted to cut Sony's lead in HW. Instead what's happened is Sony has solidified the wider gaming space and seems to have won over the core audience as well and that's even before Sony's imminent next showcase.

Gamepass is looking to be a real winner for xbox but I think hardware-wise its becoming clear they'll lose more ground to Sony once again this upcoming gen. They still haven't announced lockheart, so if they nail that it could turn this around. But it seems doubtful right now.
the problem of course being is they were winning the core audience with promises of "the most powerful console ever".   if you are going to claim that then they should be able to show off an impressive game.   that's why the narrative is turning on them soo bad right now.    they might as change their marketing to "the most wasted power in a console ever"..

the-pi-guy

Eurogamer: Microsoft still hasn't made the case for Xbox Series X | ResetEra

Let's get the obvious comparison out of the way, now that we can compare the summer's two great trailer showcases - separated this year by six weeks rather than the usual day and a half: Sony edged it.
 Neither PlayStation nor Xbox delivered a slam dunk when making the software case for their new hardware launches this year.  Click to expand... Click to shrink...  
Xbox's showcase last night was bookended by a gameplay demo of Halo Infinite - a very tangible prospect, to be fair, but one which you will be able to play on Xbox One and which was reportedly captured on PC - and a teaser reveal for a new Fable that, while cute, had little to add to the rumours of its existence that have circulated for years. Much of what filled the space between them was interesting, exciting or both, from the emotional lockdown trailer for Tetris Effect: Connected to the news that Fatshark was taking its trademark co-op chaos into the Warhammer 40K realm with Darktide. But most of it was frustratingly opaque.  Click to expand... Click to shrink...  
Stalker 2's debut trailer was, it turned out, target footage. Forza Motorsport was present as a graphics demo with an ominous note that it was "early in development". Rare's Everwild, on second showing, remained as mysterious as it is lovely to behold. Xbox Studios prospects State of Decay 3 and Avowed got CG teasers only. There was, overall, a striking lack of gameplay footage - and, astonishingly, we still can't be sure that we have seen a game running on Xbox Series X.  Click to expand... Click to shrink...  
Bearing in mind Halo Infinite's underwhelming looks, all of a sudden Xbox's pro-cross-gen stance sounds less like a strategy than like a rationale to explain away a last-gen game that got itself delayed into the launch window for the next console, and thus had to release on both - Zelda: Breath of the Wild style. (To be fair, we should note that PlayStation 5's launch game, Spider-man: Miles Morales, is an update and extension of a PS4 hit. Maybe you just can't launch with a proper generational exclusive in 2020.) But then, this view doesn't square with developer 343's assertion that Halo Infinite is a "platform for the future" that should last 10 years without getting a traditional sequel.  Click to expand... Click to shrink...  
It is hard to believe that, as a new console generation approaches, Microsoft is once again fluffing its lines. The hardware reveal went well - unsurprisingly, since it had been so carefully rehearsed with Xbox One X a couple of years previously. But we have yet to see anything that shows those impressive stats in action, and corporate strategy seems once again to be getting in the way of what players want to see and hear.  Click to expand... Click to shrink...  
This is not to say that the nightmare of 2013's Xbox One launch is about to be repeated. Then, a fuzzy Trojan-horse strategy about media convergence and owning the living room seemed to have little to do with video games. Now, Microsoft's vision for the future gaming is both far-sighted and persuasive, with its emphasis on streaming technology, device agnosticism and reaching the largest possible addressable audience.  Click to expand... Click to shrink...  
If Satya Nadella's company isn't doing well at persuading us to buy consoles and games, that's probably because it doesn't really want to. What it wants to sell us is Game Pass subscriptions.  Click to expand... Click to shrink...  
And yet, 2013 still has an important lesson to teach us. Microsoft fluffed it so hard then because it thought a pitch to the core gaming audience no longer mattered. It was wrong. This audience of tastemakers is still the hub the wider gaming community revolves around, and it really matters what excites them - what excites us. If your games don't thrill us, if your pitch seems driven by theory rather than passion, you are in trouble. Xbox still has work to do.  Click to expand... Click to shrink...  
More here: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-07-24-microsoft-still-hasnt-made-the-case-for-xbox-series-x

I would say I'd have to agree with this assessment.

Related article: We should talk about how Halo Infinite looks  
[/size]

the-pi-guy

It feels like it switched again.  Kind of.  

Sony definitely has the momentum for the next year.  
But Bethesda + XSS has brought a lot of positive feeling for MS.  To the point that people are asking how Sony can compete anymore if MS is buying massive publishers.
I don't think Sony needs to buy a massive publisher to even out the score, but considering the outlook right now it does feel like Sony needs to do something.  

kitler53

It feels like it switched again.  Kind of.  

Sony definitely has the momentum for the next year.  
But Bethesda + XSS has brought a lot of positive feeling for MS.  To the point that people are asking how Sony can compete anymore if MS is buying massive publishers.
I don't think Sony needs to buy a massive publisher to even out the score, but considering the outlook right now it does feel like Sony needs to do something.  
agreed.  i would have said ps5 was waay ahead of xbox only a few days ago but that bethesda acquisition was a massive announcement.  soo much fear they will do it again and keep the games off of ps5.   exactly what MS wants,.. a fearful sony customer base.

Xevross

MS let Sony have their time enough that PS5 is going to set off like a rocket in sales but it feels like compared to the status quo they're ahead anyway. They definitely feel ahead in terms of messaging and blows in the build up to launch right now but its too late to have an impact.

Xevross

Stuff like this definitely doesn't help: https://www.resetera.com/threads/sony-confirms-no-free-ps5-upgrade-for-ps4-spider-man-owners.293285/

fudgy lol sony, they're so overconfident and complacent, they don't give two nuggets about how much better value xbox are offering customers.

kitler53

Stuff like this definitely doesn't help: https://www.resetera.com/threads/sony-confirms-no-free-ps5-upgrade-for-ps4-spider-man-owners.293285/

fudgy lol sony, they're so overconfident and complacent, they don't give two nuggets about how much better value xbox are offering customers.
you really sound like you've been turned into an xbox fanboy.   i'm not sure we can still be friends.  the only thing worse is if you told me you were a republican..  

Xevross

you really sound like you've been turned into an xbox fanboy.   i'm not sure we can still be friends.  the only thing worse is if you told me you were a republican..  
Yeah of course man Trump 2048 lets do it #maga #fascismisactuallyagoodthing #trumpshouldjustbeadictatoritwouldbebetterforallofus #howcanclimatechangeberealwhenitfeltcoldtoday

Anyway yeah I love playing games on consoles, its so much better than PC. I'll always buy my AAA games on console for as long as they exist and I'll always have at least one of the big consoles. I have a playstation because PS4 was a vastly better offering than XB1 and I love playstation games far more than xbox games.

Right now we still know next to nothing about the next gen consoles in terms of UI and features so its hard to say, but xbox is a much more compelling offering this gen and it seems like they will compete on games soon. I've been okay with playing the few xbox games I want on PC but if they start making a lot more I'll probably prefer to get a series X. And if series X does indeed prove to be a better console overall, as its looking right now, that means PS5 will be relegated to being just my playstation games machine.

kitler53

Yeah of course man Trump 2048 lets do it #maga #fascismisactuallyagoodthing #trumpshouldjustbeadictatoritwouldbebetterforallofus #howcanclimatechangeberealwhenitfeltcoldtoday

Anyway yeah I love playing games on consoles, its so much better than PC. I'll always buy my AAA games on console for as long as they exist and I'll always have at least one of the big consoles. I have a playstation because PS4 was a vastly better offering than XB1 and I love playstation games far more than xbox games.

Right now we still know next to nothing about the next gen consoles in terms of UI and features so its hard to say, but xbox is a much more compelling offering this gen and it seems like they will compete on games soon. I've been okay with playing the few xbox games I want on PC but if they start making a lot more I'll probably prefer to get a series X. And if series X does indeed prove to be a better console overall, as its looking right now, that means PS5 will be relegated to being just my playstation games machine.

DerNebel

I wanna see how the remaster looks first. On paper it sounds like they've put a lot of work into it to upgrade the game.

Go Up