PC Community Thread

Started by the-pi-guy, Jul 31, 2014, 02:28 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Dr. Pezus

You do realize the 560 stopped showing up as minimum spec?  For any cross gen game, it's still useful, but it won't run Unity.  Hell it has trouble running Watchdogs at medium settings at 720p.
Stopped showing up? Isn't it more important how it actually runs the games than something on paper? Minimum requirements are often battleship in my experience.
Also, I'm talking about the 560Ti. I run Shadow of Mordor at very high with medium textures at 1080p with a solid 30FPS.

darkknightkryta

The 560 TI came out in 2011.  So 2 years before you had it.  It was barely high end when it came out. 
The 560 TI is what Watch Dogs recommends, either software issues or maybe somewhere else you have a bottleneck. 
The 590 is about the same as the GTX 670 though, so something to keep in mind. 

I lied about when I got it :P.  I forgot how long its been since I stopped making apps.  I got it June/July 2011.
Yes it does, but the "joys" of PC gaming. 
590 is not the same as a 670.  Horse power may be, but the 670 is optimized to do things better.  Good example: Tomb Raider Legends.  The "next gen" option in the game was created on the 360's GPU.  The 360's GPU was the first card out in the world with unified shaders.  Tomb Raider Legends ran like dog on every video card.  Even overkilling it with a Geforce 9800 (Their top of the line card at the time) couldn't handle it.  That card ran circles around the 360's GPU in terms of power.  Doesn't matter though next gen tech is next gen tech, power is irrelevant and new technologies are starting to get created.  Whatever card anyone buys now will most likely be outdated a lot sooner.  Though I'll concede that a beast now will last a bit longer, there's also costs to consider. 
A 590 is about the bare minimum you're going to be needed for games moving forward.  Bare minimum looks like dog in most cases.  You're better off getting a mid range card for 300 and getting it replaced in 3-4 years and buying another mid range card for 300 that runs circles around the high end card.  Spending 600 for a top of a line card that's going to need to be replaced at the same time as the midrange card just doesn't make sense unless you're running 3 monitors.  Note: All pricing is canadian :P.

Riderz1337

Okay another weird thing about buying pc parts is that there are so many different GPU versions

Theres like EVGA theres MSI etc why cant they just make one lol it makes it so much more work to find which version is best
Legend made me remove this. Everybody riot.

Legend

Okay another weird thing about buying pc parts is that there are so many different GPU versions

Theres like EVGA theres MSI etc why cant they just make one lol it makes it so much more work to find which version is best

Yeah but it's also nice to have options. Like same card, but you can get different video outputs and better cooling. It's not like a cpu that only does 1 thing.

the-pi-guy

Don't really have to worry about brand, unless you're particular to one brand over another. 
Otherwise, just look for what'll have the best cooling/highest clockrates.  They all use the same chips, but some will have higher clocks.  There's also outputs, but I don't think you'll have to worry too much about that unless you decide to get a bunch of monitors. 

Riderz1337

feature=youtu.be&a

SHOCKING interview with Nvidia engineer about the 970 fiasco

HOLY fudgy shame IM IN TEARS THIS IS AMAZING
Legend made me remove this. Everybody riot.

Dr. Pezus

Dr. Pezus

feature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_3863274891

kind of want this game

Rorono

Does anyone know if GMG allows adding funds to the account, similar to steam wallet?

BasilZero

Competition. Some have extra stuff like more fans or comes with promo items like free games.

I usually go for Gigabyte.

darkknightkryta

Turns out Nvidia lied about the 970's specs.

I use Zotac for my GPU.  MSI, Asus, and Gigabyte are all good for motherboards.

Legend

My GPU and storage arrived today from Amazon. Time to head out to Microcenter and find a case.

the-pi-guy

My GPU and storage arrived today from Amazon. Time to head out to Microcenter and find a case.

Sweet!

Legend

Sweet!

Yeah this GPU is huge lol. Practically a foot long.

Found a perfect and cheap case at microcenter, but they were out of stock. So I went with last year's version of the case. Lost a usb 3.0 port but saved $5. Case ended up having a window in it so I guess that's nice.

Right now I'm putting in the dvd drive plus storage, then on wednesday I'll get the psu+ram+mobo so I can finish it up.

Any recomindations for a good pc game that really shows off what pc can do that consoles can't? I feel I should buy a game since this is my first powerful pc. Already own skyrim.

the-pi-guy

Yeah this GPU is huge lol. Practically a foot long.
Any recomindations for a good pc game that really shows off what pc can do that consoles can't? I feel I should buy a game since this is my first powerful pc. Already own skyrim.

Yeah, that thing is a monster. 
Let's see Ryse looks great, Skyrim looks good, especially modded. 
I've heard and seen great things of Metro: LL, and Crysis 3. 

Go Up