Youtube tracking pre E3

Started by Legend, May 28, 2019, 10:29 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

May 28, 2019, 10:29 PM Last Edit: Jun 04, 2019, 05:06 AM by Legend
Hello,

This thread will be for setting up tracking this year and getting feedback before the big videos start coming out. These pre E3 stats are not inclusive since it's hard to define a pre E3 trailer.

Please update your browser.

Below this you will find scratch work as I figure things out.

Legend

#1 - Videos posted in comments are now automatically added to the tracker.

Metadata can be added later at our convenience.

Xevross

#1 - Videos posted in comments are now automatically added to the tracker.

Metadata can be added later at our convenience.
That's a great change, looking forward to doing this again this year!

BananaKing

Yeah this thread is always awesome. Didn't another forum do the same after we did ours

Legend

Yeah this thread is always awesome. Didn't another forum do the same after we did ours
2 years ago there was someone else, which pushed me to make the new tracker with unlimited video support. I don't know of any place that has managed to keep up with that.

This year I won't be on vacation during E3 so hopefully we can do a better job informing people about this.

Legend

May 29, 2019, 05:38 PM Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 08:24 AM by Legend

Working on improving the visuals too.

Xevross

Nice visuals. What's the link to find this stuff btw?

Legend

Nice visuals. What's the link to find this stuff btw?
The backend has been mostly migrated over to the game database. For example here is Anthem: Anthem in Game Database

Videos are listed on the bottom. Just copy over the video url to the correct area and submit. The video name is fetched by the server if left blank.

The original backend is here: Game Database

It is a lot slower to use but is good when looking at everything. Also includes a data fetching tool that can be exported to excel to make external graphs.

I don't expect that many people to be interested in the backend data so I'm mostly just focused on making it fast to add/edit videos.

The front end will be similar to last year: E3 youtube views and analysis 2018

All of that raw data will be making a return, but the first post will now include dynamic charts like the two above.

I'm thinking of having...

1. Publisher chart. All videos combined per publisher to really make a good summary of E3.

2. Game chart. All videos combined per game to show how individual titles are doing.

3. Video chart. The regular thing where identical videos are grouped but unique trailers stay seperate.

Legend

May 30, 2019, 08:33 PM Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 11:30 PM by Legend

The youtube interestometer is back for the 5th year and this time it's better than ever! Thousands of videos are tracked in real time and consolidated into this data.

Lots and lots of additional breakdowns can be found here.

FAQ
Q: What about trailers uploaded to multiple channels?
A: Every upload is tracked and contributes to the trailer's rankings.

Q: Does this mean [insert game] won E3?
A: Of course not. Videos can run as youtube ads and other factors can easily affect the data. These numbers are presented as is and require additional analysis to fully represent the industry.

Q: Can I make my own graphs and analyses?
A: Please do! All of this tracking uses proprietary software but segments can be exported to Excel. Just contact me and I can set you up.

Xevross

Lots and lots of additional breakdowns can be found here.

FAQ
Q: What about trailers uploaded to multiple channels?
A: Every upload is tracked and contributes to the trailer's rankings.

Q: Does this mean [insert game] won E3?
A: Of course not. Videos can run as youtube ads and other factors can easily affect the data. These numbers are presented as is and require additional analysis to fully represent the industry.

Q: Can I make my own graphs and analyses?
A: Please do! All of this tracking uses proprietary software but segments can be exported to Excel. Just contact me and I can set you up.
Re that first Q, will all versions of the video be fond automatically now or do we still have to find them ourselves?

Also when shall we begin the tracking? COD and Death Stranding have got the ball rolling so I say its time to go! :D

Legend

Re that first Q, will all versions of the video be fond automatically now or do we still have to find them ourselves?

Also when shall we begin the tracking? COD and Death Stranding have got the ball rolling so I say its time to go! :D
All videos still need to be manually submitted, at least for now. I'll start working on improving the ease and speed of managing that.

I'll edit the op and get data in for this year, you're right! The regular full thread will probably go up next Friday so that google thinks it is new.

Legend

I think I have a good 3.0 flow for video uploading.

It's built into the main game database screen that shows all games. Simply drag a youtube video link over a game and drop. A popup apears with the current groups and the option to make a new one. Just click the correct link and the popup closes; video is uploaded in the background. No page refresh needed.

Already tracked videos can be moved over to the correct area with this tool too.

Legend

The new video adding system is set up. I'd love for people to try it out and give me feedback. It's optimized around how I'd use it so let me know if there is something you'd like changed.

Simply go to the regular game database and drag a youtube video onto a game. A popup appears and asks for basic metadata. It's all seamless and doesn't reload the page. If something is wrong, the system will inform you.

Legend

I added an experimental thing where the trailers in the op picture can be clicked. Please let me know if it causes issues for you.

Legend

Stadia has been added.

Also I'm thinking tomorrow should switch from pre E3 to just regular E3.