Youtube views dropping and controversy

Started by Legend, Dec 11, 2016, 04:04 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Almost every youtube channel seems to be jumping in on this bandwagon so I'd be shocked if you didn't already know something about this. Basically prominent youtubers are seeing their views drop and can't explain why.

This video actually does explain why and it's frustrating imo that youtube is going this direction:

TLDW: youtube is trying to replace Netflix and TV. They stopped caring about views and now care about minutes watched. They also are prioritizing new videos. This is pushing longer and longer videos to the front page that tend to be a day or two old. Older and shorter videos are not getting promoted anymore, even if they are relevant and have millions of views.

Xevross

So basically they're promoting new videos which are an hour + in length? That's so weird. Most YouTube viewers aren't on there to watch long videos like that so if that's what is occupying recommended videos then there's no doubt views will be going down.

Its really shaming they're lying about it as well

Mmm_fish_tacos

I dont watch most videos over 20 minutes.

Xevross

I dont watch most videos over 20 minutes.
Same for me. Most of the time the only videos I watch that are longer than half an hour are podcasts and twitch live stream replays.

I say half an hour because some channels I watch sometimes post videos which are 20-25 mins. Most Youtubers post 15-25 minute long vidoes

Legend

I watch long videos in the background while I work but I don't really care about them.

There are exceptions but most long videos are just so slow with low information density. Why would anyone pay 100% attention during them?

Xevross

I watch long videos in the background while I work but I don't really care about them.

There are exceptions but most long videos are just so slow with low information density. Why would anyone pay 100% attention during them?
Yeah I do the same as well. If I wanted to fully watch something that long I'd watch something more professionally made like a tv show or a film

DerNebel

Dec 11, 2016, 06:10 PM Last Edit: Dec 11, 2016, 06:22 PM by DerNebel
I watch videos of every length on Youtube, with varying degrees of attention. Sometimes you just need to watch a 6 hour speedrun, it's necessary.

Edit: Also is that why the Last of Us 2 trailer has only 3.4 million views on the Playstation channel? The thing has over 150k likes, which is only beaten by God of War and the PS4 share video, such a high like to view ratio is really weird for a game trailer.

the-pi-guy

I mostly use YouTube for music.  
Occasionally cool videos, that are sciency.  But the only times I ever watch something longer than say 20 minutes, is like E3 videos or super rare videos.  
Probably see 3 videos a year that are longer than 20 min.  

Aura7541

Youtube already has problems such as false DMCAs and copyright claims. Youtube Heroes was universally panned and now, the algorithms are being changed for the worse.

BananaKing

I watch videos of every length on Youtube, with varying degrees of attention. Sometimes you just need to watch a 6 hour speedrun, it's necessary.

Edit: Also is that why the Last of Us 2 trailer has only 3.4 million views on the Playstation channel? The thing has over 150k likes, which is only beaten by God of War and the PS4 share video, such a high like to view ratio is really weird for a game trailer.
the video has its views spread out accross multiple videos. probably because Sony uploaded it a bit late. PS channel has 3.4 million views. IGN has 1+ million. and another video has 1.5+ million. all in all with those three vids alone thats 6 million

DerNebel

the video has its views spread out accross multiple videos. probably because Sony uploaded it a bit late. PS channel has 3.4 million views. IGN has 1+ million. and another video has 1.5+ million. all in all with those three vids alone thats 6 million
I know, there's another upload with over 3 million views as well. The top 5 videos have over 10 million views.

It's still weird, other trailers have several uploads with millions of views as well, the God of War or Spider-Man trailer for instance.

154k likes just usually amount to a lot more views on a game trailer.

Legend

Last of Us 2 trailer has only 3.4 million views on the Playstation channel
I predicted 4 million so I don't think this change is affecting trailers too much.

DerNebel

I predicted 4 million so I don't think this change is affecting trailers too much.
Maybe your prediction was simply off then? The video says it, Youtube is promoting longer videos as well as cycling through stuff faster. I mean the Spider-Man trailer has triple the views but less than half the like of the TLOU2 trailer. That's just kinda weird to me.

Legend

Maybe your prediction was simply off then? The video says it, Youtube is promoting longer videos as well as cycling through stuff faster. I mean the Spider-Man trailer has triple the views but less than half the like of the TLOU2 trailer. That's just kinda weird to me.
TLOU2 trailer just isn't that interesting to watch. In effect the video only shows "new TLOU is being made and it happens a few years later." Spiderman trailer has much more mystery around it and the spiderman films greatly increase casual popularity. The trailer for the new spiderman film is already at 15 million views for example.

DerNebel

TLOU2 trailer just isn't that interesting to watch. In effect the video only shows "new TLOU is being made and it happens a few years later." Spiderman trailer has much more mystery around it and the spiderman films greatly increase casual popularity. The trailer for the new spiderman film is already at 15 million views for example.
The Uncharted 4 trailer from E3 2014 is pretty much the exact same thing and has almost 10 million views (compared to 70k likes) on the Playstation channel. I'm just saying that this is extremely unusual, of course the view to like ratio won't be the same on every game trailer ever, but a trailer with 155k likes normally gets a shame ton more views than this. Also I disagree about the trailer not being interesting to watch, the TLOU2 trailer is a straight 10/10 like I haven't seen since the first FF7 Remake trailer imo.