Your VR Apathy Is Entirely Understandable

Started by the-pi-guy, Mar 18, 2016, 03:41 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

"First impression in a room full of people playing virtual reality games: these people look goofy, and the games they're playing look dull. Then you put on the headset.
With the headset on, wow, some of them are so impressive! This is how it is with VR, and let's not pretend otherwise. These games do not show well unless you're playing them. Any apathy you have is completely reasonable, if you're a bystander may wondering if VR is just more manufactured hype like 3D TVs a few years ago.
The difference between watching a VR game on a monitor or in a trailer and actually playing it is often astounding. If you watch a trailer for a VR game or watch a live VR session as its graphics are output to a TV for spectators, you might as well be looking at a postcard for the Grand Canyon and not quite understanding how incredible it is to be there."
More at the link:
http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2016/03/16/your-vr-apathy-is-entirely-understandable

Legend

Will be super fun to see how these VR headsets are demoed.

kitler53

agreed. 

i'm curious to demo vr but as is the media coverage is silly to me.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

ethomaz

Mmm_fish_tacos

It's hard to explain vr. Having an NPC invade your personal space was eye opening. Or being underwater and kind of get that feeling like there's water in your nose. Those things can't be explained well. Those things happened to me with a gear vr. Whats it going to be like with a high end vr headset. I can't wait to find out.

the-pi-guy

Will be super fun to see how these VR headsets are demoed.
I would really like to start seeing demo stations at stores.
I bet that could drive things like crazy with the right game.  
I can imagine a lot of people being interested in seeing a headset, then being motivated to trying them out.  
And if the demo was really good (without getting people sick), could convince people to buy them.  

It's hard to explain vr. Having an NPC invade your personal space was eye opening. Or being underwater and kind of get that feeling like there's water in your nose. Those things can't be explained well. Those things happened to me with a gear vr. Whats it going to be like with a high end vr headset. I can't wait to find out.
Haven't been able to have those experiences yet.  :(
I just liked how it felt to be able to move your head around.  

the-pi-guy

NeoGAF - View Single Post -  Is the excitement for VR the technology or the software available?

Both There are a bunch of experiences that I can't wait to dive into, like The Lab, Eve Valkyrie, ADR1FT, Edge of Nowhere, The Climb, Hover Junkers, Budget Cuts, etc. But the hardware itself is also incredible.
I think our jaws will drop but what happens when the initial wow factor is gone? we are left with titles that arnt that engaging one way or another.

I have put hundreds of hours into Elite Dangerous and Project Cars in VR.