AMD Teases Radeon RX 480 (5.5TFlops) (VR-Ready)- Launching June 29th For $199

Started by Dr. Pezus, Jun 01, 2016, 11:16 AM

previous topic - next topic

Dr. Pezus

Kicking off at this moment is AMD's Computex 2016 keynote. The company has multiple announcements scheduled this evening, but we're going to jump right into an area that has been of extreme interest for many of our readers: GPUs.

Ahead of this evening's event, AMD sent out an email to the press teasing the first of their discrete Polaris architecture based cards. Called the Radeon RX 480, AMD has unveiled much of the product's specifications, but also its price and availability. When the card hits the streets on June 29th, it will be starting at the crucial mainstream battleground price point of $199.
Full article -http://www.anandtech.com/show/10389/...e-29th-for-199

darkknightkryta

I hope Zen + APU will be cheap.  I've been wanting to try a small APU only build.  Now with DDR 4 it might be worth to build.

Dr. Pezus

Is this whatll be in Scorpio?

ethomaz

Is this whatll be in Scorpio?
And PS4k... both are supposed to use Polaris.

Using the AMD flops is about the performance of GTX970.

Dr. Pezus

And PS4k... both are supposed to use Polaris.

Using the AMD flops is about the performance of GTX970.
PS4k is rumored at 3-4tf tho

ethomaz

Jun 01, 2016, 05:57 PM Last Edit: Jun 01, 2016, 05:59 PM by ethomaz
PS4k is rumored at 3-4tf tho
4.2TF

It is the same RX 480 running at 911Mhz.

RX 480  = Polaris, 36CUs. 2304SPs, ~1.2Ghz
PS4k = Polaris, 36CUs. 2304SPs, 911Mhz

ethomaz

Like I said Pezus... Neo uses the same RX 480 GPU with lower clocks.

AMD's Polaris-powered RX 480 graphics card priced at $199 • Eurogamer.net

It's also worth noting that - clock-speeds and resultant TFLOPs aside - the specs for RX 480 are point-for-point a match for the GPU in Sony's upcoming PlayStation Neo, all but confirming that the Sony mid-gen console refresh uses both Polaris technology and the new 14nm FinFET chip manufacturing process.

Mmm_fish_tacos

Like I said Pezus... Neo uses the same RX 480 GPU with lower clocks.

AMD's Polaris-powered RX 480 graphics card priced at $199 • Eurogamer.net

Yeah, Looking like they could be the same card. Now all Sony had to do is go with the better GPU that was rumored. And put a kick dog cooling solution in the box so they can up the clock rates once they need the extra 1.5 TF a few years from now. And honestly Sony could water cool the ps4 and not add much to the build cost.