The VR thread. U R Not red(e) PSVR2 is legitimate!

Started by Mmm_fish_tacos, Sep 05, 2015, 06:10 PM

previous topic - next topic

How sick of Pi's VR hype are you?

Go Down

Legend

Worse: won't play PC games.  Battery powered
Unknown: tracking (better than Go by far, but not sure how it'll compare to Rift), battery life, not sure if connecting to PC might come in the future

Better: screen, no wires

Not sure what this could be talking about:

Seems like it'd be too big of a statement to be about astrobot.  
Oh they kept saying wireless so I assumed it streamed from PC or at least had that option. If it's running the games than I'm good.

Sounds like a BS statement. I mean that person might be really excited, but I'm sceptical a game could manage that nowadays. If a new method of locomotion or similar was figured out, it'd show up in a small experimental game first and not in a huge project like Super Mario 64 was.

the-pi-guy

During Oculus Connect, they also talked about AR.
I think in the future, the difference between AR and VR will be less about hardware and more about what the software does.  Right now they are pretty separate. 
(Funnily enough they said this in the show)

Oh they kept saying wireless so I assumed it streamed from PC or at least had that option. If it's running the games than I'm good.
Yeah. 
They are pushing it as being between the Oculus Go and Oculus Rift, but they are insistent that it's the first full VR experience.  "No PC, no wires"
Sounds like a BS statement. I mean that person might be really excited, but I'm sceptical a game could manage that nowadays. If a new method of locomotion or similar was figured out, it'd show up in a small experimental game first and not in a huge project like Super Mario 64 was.
Most likely.

Legend

My only paid VR games are Lands End for Gear VR and Job Simulator for PSVR.

I think I need to go back through my PS+ catalogue and see which games I have.

the-pi-guy

My only paid VR games are Lands End for Gear VR and Job Simulator for PSVR.

I think I need to go back through my PS+ catalogue and see which games I have.
VR games from PS+:
-Trackmania Turbo (not sure if VR is included with the main game)
-RIGS
-Until Dawn: Rush of Blood
-Starblood Arena
-Here They Lie

Good titles:
-Superhot VR
-Rick and Morty (Very short)
-Resident Evil 7
-Moss
-Superbot
-Firewall: Zero Hour
-Driveclub
-Doom VFR
-Beat Saber

-Sairento

Legend

VR games from PS+:
-Trackmania Turbo (not sure if VR is included with the main game)
-RIGS
-Until Dawn: Rush of Blood
-Starblood Arena
-Here They Lie

Good titles:
-Superhot VR
-Rick and Morty (Very short)
-Resident Evil 7
-Moss
-Superbot
-Firewall: Zero Hour
-Driveclub
-Doom VFR
-Beat Saber

-Sairento
Well that was fast.

-Trackmania Turbo-maybe I'll try it out
-RIGS-I want to play it
-Until Dawn: Rush of Blood-Demo wasn't interesting and I don't care for horror games
-Starblood Arena-I could try it
-Here They Lie-Not interested in horror games

Good titles:
-Superhot VR-eh, I wouldn't pay for it.
-Rick and Morty (Very short)-eh, wouldn't pay for it.
-Resident Evil 7-Could be fun.
-Moss-I like games like this.
-Superbot-Of Course.
-Firewall: Zero Hour-not something I'd pay money for.
-Driveclub-Demo wasn't very good.
-Doom VFR-I'd be down for this one since I'd like to play Doom in general.
-Beat Saber-Not something I'd pay for.

-Sairento-I don't know enough about this one but the trailer didn't look bad or good.

You missed one though!

-Thumper-Demo was incredible.

the-pi-guy

Ha.  I couldn't do horror games either.  Especially in VR.  

Even something invading my personal space in VR, is super uncomfortable.  

I agree with a lot of those assessments.  Beat saber isn't my type of game.  

the-pi-guy

Astrobot is shipping in 1-4 weeks on Amazon.  
Not sold online at Walmart.

So I think the game has to be doing fairly well.  

Game is getting a ton of attention.  All the reviews are massively positive.  

Legend

I plugged in my PSVR. Had to update from version 2 to version 4.5 or something like that lol.

I found Bound from PS+ which is playable in VR. It's weird though how some games just feel so much better or worse than others.

the-pi-guy

I plugged in my PSVR. Had to update from version 2 to version 4.5 or something like that lol.

I found Bound from PS+ which is playable in VR. It's weird though how some games just feel so much better or worse than others.
What do you mean by some games feeling worse?

Legend

What do you mean by some games feeling worse?
Like they don't have the presence other games do. I loaded up just the menu for Bound but it didn't feel like I was transported to another world, it just felt like I had a tv circling me.

the-pi-guy

Like they don't have the presence other games do. I loaded up just the menu for Bound but it didn't feel like I was transported to another world, it just felt like I had a tv circling me.
Oh yeah I know exactly what you mean.  I've played a game or two that gave me nearly no sense of presence.  

Legend

Oh yeah I know exactly what you mean.  I've played a game or two that gave me nearly no sense of presence.  
I wonder how much of it is a design issue and how much is a hardware issue. If you had a perfect next next gen headset, would all games at least feel like physical places?

the-pi-guy

I wonder how much of it is a design issue and how much is a hardware issue. If you had a perfect next next gen headset, would all games at least feel like physical places?
I think its mostly a design issue.  

Legend

I think its mostly a design issue.  
Well that's certainly the case now, but what about once we have headsets with perfect resolution, depth, focus, etc. The environment could be bland without any interesting geometry yet your brain would still perceive it as a physical object instead of a TV object imo.

Legend

I so badly want to make a 3D model of my living room using photogammetry and try it out in VR. I feel like it'd be really strange feeling. Last time I looked into it though it'd take too much work to be worth it.

Go Up