save scumming, yes or no?

Started by Legend, Aug 12, 2022, 12:53 AM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

In Jak 2 I keep doing this when I get frustrated, but I've yet to die after saving so who knows if it works.

the-pi-guy

I save scummed for Elden Rings endings.
And for legendary Pokemon.

Legend

Maybe all games should have a rewind feature  8)

Only half joking. It wouldn't be worth the effort to program but from a player's perspective it'd be really convenient like rewind in racing games.

kitler53

I don't even consider it save scumming if you are just wanting to see the various endings of a game. 

Save scumming is what I did in valkaria chronicles. I saved after every move.   The randomness in that game was a bit harsh.  In the same move one outcome could be 3 hits and 2 crits while the other was 5 misses. With perma death for squad members I saved skimmed to ensure thing didn't go too badly. 

I don't like it but obviously I've done it.  

I don't play too many games where it would even be effective. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

SWORDF1SH

What y'all talkin' 'bout?

the-pi-guy

Save scumming:
Saving a game, then reloading the save if you don't like what happens.  

Legend

Jak 2 has infrequent checkpoints but since you can seemingly save mid mission, you can put in your own checkpoints.

Save scumming:
Saving a game, then reloading the save if you don't like what happens.  
Haha in branching narrative games I often forget to do the first part. Something bad happens and I'm rushing to close the game before my actions are saved.

BananaKing

Usually it depends on how the game handles saves. If the game let me saves scum, I just assume the devs want me to use that.

But honestly in branching narrative games I usually try stick with my answer/decision. Unless the game isn't clear and the path I chose resulted in something I didnt want to happen.

Legend

Usually it depends on how the game handles saves. If the game let me saves scum, I just assume the devs want me to use that.

But honestly in branching narrative games I usually try stick with my answer/decision. Unless the game isn't clear and the path I chose resulted in something I didnt want to happen.
I loved playing Heavy Rain with no do overs. A few moments were incredibly intense because I knew I only had one shot at getting things right.

In most other games I start out sticking with my decisions, but eventually I almost always get too annoyed and start reloading as desired.

the-pi-guy

Oh, I save scummed in Mass Effect three times.

Once in ME2 to get the better ending.
Twice in ME3, but that didn't end up working.