What minor thing grinds your gears atm?

Started by Legend, Feb 02, 2021, 06:26 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

BananaKing

I hadn't seen that reported till now. Was under the impression that they decreased transmission a lot.

Well I wouldn't call it minor but that grinds my gears I guess.
Vox - Based on data in the US, unvaccinated people are eight times as likely to get the virus and experience disease symptoms, 25 times as likely to be hospitalized, and 24 times as likely to die, compared to people who are vaccinated. https://trib.al/7rGNCgl | Facebook

They do decrease transmission. But still they do occur. How much they decrease transmission isn't clear yet because its too soon to get that data accurately.

However the vaccine does its job by making the disease a lot less harmful. And thats whats needed  

the-pi-guy

It seems like the vaccines offer less, but still good protection against the newer variants.

Hopefully it doesn't continue to worsen. 

Legend

kitler53

It seems like the vaccines offer less, but still good protection against the newer variants.

Hopefully it doesn't continue to worsen.  
pretty much.  

the data I read had the vaccine doing a great job protecting against transmission against the original varient. 

the vaccine is not as good against delta.  it is good enough to be well worth having,.. the protection against hospitalizations and death are stellar by traditional vaccine standards.   but breakthough cases and transmission is high enough that the vaccinated population will certainly infect and kill the unvaccinated.  

1. I'm to the point where I will shrug off the death of an unvaccinated Franz Ferdinand.  Darwin at its best. 

2. I think covid will be a yearly shot like the flu moving forward to adjust for new varients. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Dr. Pezus

Aug 10, 2021, 06:54 PM Last Edit: Aug 10, 2021, 07:00 PM by Dr. Pezus
I hadn't seen that reported till now. Was under the impression that they decreased transmission a lot.

Well I wouldn't call it minor but that grinds my gears I guess.
Theory is that it doesn't prevent delta variant infections as well. Pfizer apparently is close to finishing a vaccine for the delta variant. We'll see how that goes

The current wave in Iceland is the biggest one yet, despite the vast majority being vaccinated already. We do seem to be seeing considerably less serious infections though but next few weeks will tell more (vast majority of infections so far in this wave has been younger people but it recently started spreading among older ones)

Legend

New thing that grinds my gears.

Movies that treat female astronauts as idiots. Just watched Proxima and it was weirdly sexist.

the-pi-guy

Genuine minor thing that grinds my gears.

People keep talking about the "supply issues" with consoles, GPUs as if it is due to abnormally low supply.  

"High demand despite issues"

The "supply issues" are because of high demand, not low supply. Companies have been buying up supplies to facilitate people working from home (laptops, tablets, servers). People have been buying consoles and PCs to have something to do from home during the pandemic.

the-pi-guy

This happens more often during the release of a new console.  

People don't tend to understand how graphics work, even gaming hobbyists.  

Like people seem to think if you can run one game at 4k, you can run any game at 4k. And the opposite happens too. People will argue that the PS4 literally can't output 1080p graphics, because Battlefield 3 was only 900p on the PS4.  

People will often get confused by bottlenecks. The CPU is probably usually the bottleneck on the PS4, but this gets turned more solidly as the CPU is the bottleneck of the PS4. And it's generally right, but I don't think is the right way to think of it. Then people get confused when you run into a situation where something else was the bottleneck. It's all very dependent on what you're actually doing at any time.  

And I had largely mentioned this one in the PC thread, but during the run up to the PS5, there were commonly people saying not to expect many 4K games. And they'd often show games benchmarks where games were running at some crazy settings. "Because the RTX 3080 can't run Tomb Raider at 4K 60 with 8x TAA, don't expect PS5 to have any 4K titles."

Legend

Ultra max settings on pc used for console discussion always kills me lol.

the-pi-guy

Tweet: Spider-Man: No Way Home's first day of ticket presales have surpassed Avengers: Endgame
Article Title: Spider-Man: No Way Home Pre-Sales Are the Biggest Since Avengers: Endgame
Article: Deadline reports that No Way Home's first day of presales on Fandango have surpassed 2019's Avengers Endgame
Deadline: Sony's Spider-Man: No Way Home in its first day of pre-sales yesterday on Fandango saw its best day since 2019's Avengers: Endgame.

"Surpassed" is not the same thing as "biggest since".

BananaKing

Tweet: Spider-Man: No Way Home's first day of ticket presales have surpassed Avengers: Endgame
Article Title: Spider-Man: No Way Home Pre-Sales Are the Biggest Since Avengers: Endgame
Article: Deadline reports that No Way Home's first day of presales on Fandango have surpassed 2019's Avengers Endgame
Deadline: Sony's Spider-Man: No Way Home in its first day of pre-sales yesterday on Fandango saw its best day since 2019's Avengers: Endgame.

"Surpassed" is not the same thing as "biggest since".
Doesn't surpassed mean its even bigger?

Biggest since indicated avengers was bigger though.

Is that your point?

the-pi-guy

Doesn't surpassed mean its even bigger?

Biggest since indicated avengers was bigger though.

Is that your point?
Yep, that's all correct.

Deadline indicates Avengers was bigger.
IGN is reporting it in two different spots that Spiderman was bigger.

kitler53

i read an article yesterday.

end game was bigger.  spiderman is the biggest ever if you only look at data since the march 2020 covid lockdown.    no idea how they compare but i'll bet end game was a lot bigger.  current box office has been anemic.  

the-pi-guy

It grinds my gears to see people comparing Timed Exclusives to full exclusives, framed as if timed exclusives are even worse than full exclusives.

I don't get it.

Someone was even arguing that random dumb content being exclusive was just as bad.

kitler53

ah,.  the Sony got an exclusive spiderman in that awful avengers game is the same as buying Activision blizzard argument.  

...you've been reading era I see.  

Go Up