Gotham Knights is a mess

Started by the-pi-guy, Oct 20, 2022, 11:44 AM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

The game is the first to not have a 40 or 60 mode on console, and it has drops from 30. Apparently some bad drops on PC.

Currently sitting at a 70 on MC.  

the-pi-guy

The cancellation of the last-gen versions is puzzling because this is a thoroughly last-gen title in terms of its basic visual make-up - expect to see decent-looking PBR materials, a baked global illumination system, and extensive TAA coverage. Even relative to eighth-gen standards though, this isn't great stuff.
By comparison, Gotham Knights just looks lifeless - and that's actually literally true as well. Arkham Knight was swarming with gangs of criminals and fleeing pedestrians. You couldn't go very far on foot without being confronted by gangs of enemies ransacking the city. Gotham Knights is so devoid of life by comparison that I could drive around for minutes without spotting anything other than the occasional civilian. It's a pretty remarkable change and feels very odd.
There are technical problems too, though to discuss positives first, image quality holds up. PS5 and Series X both manage a 4K presentation, rendering a 2160p pixel count at maximum, while Series S turns in at 1440p. Dynamic resolution is a possibility, though I didn't encounter it in my testing.
Gotham Knights targets 30fps, but it is constantly beset by frame-rate drops, stutters, and frame-rate time fluctuations, especially evident in traversal. Interiors fare somewhat better, with fewer of the large performance drops, though the odd frame-time issues persist. Perhaps these areas stress the game's core rendering systems less, or trigger fewer issues with streaming. In any case, this is as good as it gets, though it's still unacceptably unstable - and this applies to all console platforms.

Perhaps the worst frame-rates I encountered were in the train terminals. I was able to get performance to collapse here, with lows around 20fps. There's no clear reason for this, although I was able to tank frame-rates across multiple runs through multiple terminals on the Xbox Series X. I didn't have any luck, however, in replicating this behaviour on the Series S or PS5, so perhaps this one issue is Series X-specific, or only emerges after a specific trigger.
Digital Foundry

Legend

The game is the first to not have a 40 or 60 mode on console, and it has drops from 30. Apparently some bad drops on PC.

Currently sitting at a 70 on MC.  
Every other big game has a 40 or 60 fps mode? I hadn't noticed it was that common now.

nnodley

Still not sure whether i'll grab or not. I've got $35 of funds from Sony rewards so I wouldn't be wasting a full $70 and i'm sure i'll probably enjoy it. Hmmmmm

the-pi-guy

Every other big game has a 40 or 60 fps mode? I hadn't noticed it was that common now.
I'm not aware of any others.

Plague Tale 2 came out recently with a base 30fps mode, and had a 40 fps mode for 120hz tvs
Gotham Knights doesn't have any performance options whatsoever.

And since these games just came out, now Era is wondering if it's the end of 60 fps on console.  

Legend

I'm not aware of any others.

Plague Tale 2 came out recently with a base 30fps mode, and had a 40 fps mode for 120hz tvs
Gotham Knights doesn't have any performance options whatsoever.

And since these games just came out, now Era is wondering if it's the end of 60 fps on console.  
Couldn't find any other 30fps new gen exclusives either. Huh, funny that I hadn't noticed.

Probably is the beginning of the end. PS4 never had this many 60 fps games but it started with a lot more too.

the-pi-guy

Digital Foundry

The bottom line is that this game has severe CPU utilisation problems that almost certainly affect the PS5 and Xbox Series builds too, while the PC version has additional issues exclusive to that platform.
Basically it's a very poorly threaded game.

nnodley

performance aside, i'm loving the game.  Its not an amazing visual stunner but it still looks really good.  And for me 30fps is fine.  I've never been one to really care too much about 30 or 60, tbh.   The crimes do get boring and repetitive if you do them enough.  But i sprinkle the main/side missions in enough that it helps.

IMO, solid 8.5 so far.

Legend

performance aside, i'm loving the game.  Its not an amazing visual stunner but it still looks really good.  And for me 30fps is fine.  I've never been one to really care too much about 30 or 60, tbh.   The crimes do get boring and repetitive if you do them enough.  But i sprinkle the main/side missions in enough that it helps.

IMO, solid 8.5 so far.
Have you finished it now?

nnodley

Have you finished it now?
Yep. The crimes and extra side stuff gets really boring and repetitive but the combat was pretty solid. Story was good but nothing amazing.

Still solid 8 or so. Not nearly as good as the Arkham games

Robin was the superior character to play as

Horizon

IMO, solid 8.5 so far.
I'd agree with this. I'm really enjoying the combat, the side activities and the story. It's not groundbreaking but a good game. No idea how people could give it a 5.