Official Gamepass revenue stats

Started by Legend, Oct 10, 2022, 06:59 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

SWORDF1SH

Is this what is expected? Has gamepass improved their overall profits in the gaming division?

kitler53

Is this what is expected? Has gamepass improved their overall profits in the gaming division?
yeah, i dunno.

my hot takes are this i guess
1. MS revenue is about half that of playstation.   that would make sense with ps4/xbox one since xbox sold half the hardware but i don't think series xs is far behind ps5 which is where you'd expect most of the revenue to be coming from by now.  even though gamepass is only 18% of their revenues,.. that 9.6 billion (some of which must be live gold) tells me xbox just doesn't sell much software compared to playstation/nintendo.

2. MS had a big uptick in subs Q3 2022.  up to 20 million the slope was definitely slowing down but then it picked up quickly again.  i can't remember exactly what happened then that would have driven soo much growth.  if anything xbox has had terrible software releases this year.  maybe that's the activision acquisition effect already coming in to play?

3. i can't see how gamepass is profitable with these numbers. 

4. imo, this is MS being intentionally misleading.   i trust these numbers are what the are but these numbers do not include really anything from their recent acquisition spree: bethesda, ect.   considering some of those studios shipped ps exclusives in 2021 these numbers will be much, much different by 2025 even without activision.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

Is this what is expected?
It suggest the average person is spending about $10, some will be taking more advantage of that $1/month trial, and some will be doing the $15 tier.

But it's about what was expected.
Has gamepass improved their overall profits in the gaming division?
Don't think we have profit numbers.

They're just talking about Revenue, because that's what market share is based off of.

Legend

kitler53

why do these publishers litterally give their games away for free like this?!?  with the billions MSony are getting on these subscripions publishers should be asking for A LOT more.

the-pi-guy

kitler53

obvious statement is obvious.  

GTA costs hundreds of millions of $ to make.  you can't give that game away to a subscription service for $ MS is paying,.. like 3 million max.   

you can't have gamers raving about gamepass and how it's saved them "thousands of dollars a year" and then turn around and say "this is profitable".   maybe for MS but not for publishers/3rd party.  honestly,.. if i were EA or Ubi I would be persuing the idea that xbox = gamepass and we're going to skip xbox entirely if you don't put our game on gamepass day-1 and oh by the way,... we need like 50 million per game to recoup our investment.   i think they should be playing hardball with MS or MS is going to put them out of business.