PlayStation Stars - a new Loyalty program

Started by the-pi-guy, Jul 14, 2022, 01:54 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

Introducing PlayStation Stars - An all new loyalty program - PlayStation.Blog

PlayStation Stars will be free to join when it launches later this year. Once you become a member, you'll earn rewards by completing a variety of campaigns and activities. Our "Monthly Check-In" campaign simply requires you to play any game to receive a reward, while other campaigns require you to win tournaments, earn specific trophies, or even be the first player to platinum a blockbuster title in your local time zone.
All PlayStation Stars members will have opportunities to earn loyalty points. Points can be redeemed in a catalog that may include PSN wallet funds and select PlayStation Store products. As an additional benefit, PlayStation Plus members enrolled in PlayStation Stars automatically earn points for purchases on PlayStation Store.

the-pi-guy

Sony insists that these aren't NFTs.

Legend

Sounds like a more hardcore version of gamepass rewards. Just the other week I finally reached 1,000 points with them. Just 600 more till I can get a $1.25 xbox gift card!

kitler53

getting paid to play games or earn trophies.   sounds like the dream scenario from posts i've read in the past around things sony should do with the trophy system.  

pretty much a win/win because i'll guarantee the "rewards" will be pretty nominal compared to the "hidden attached strings" that require people to buy games near launch in order attempt the "campain".   make no doubts about it campaigns will be nearly exclusive to new releases or GaaS games.  you're not going to see campains for old releases unless that campaign is timed with a psn sale/promotion or DLC release.  

anyways, if i sounded like a downer i'm not trying to be.  i'll join for sure.  i probably won't get many rewards other than the "monthly check-in" as i'm certain the rewards won't be worth changing how i game.  basically i'll treat them like trophies where i'm happy when i get one but not fretting about the ones i don't get.   ...but even if all i get is $5 a year that still $5 a year more than i'm getting now.   i like it.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

kitler53

Sounds like a more hardcore version of gamepass rewards. Just the other week I finally reached 1,000 points with them. Just 600 more till I can get a $1.25 xbox gift card!
as i not xbox gamer i did a quick google search for gamepass rewards

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-game-pass/quests

at a glance i don't see really any meaningful difference other than sony's program seems to be for all playstation gamers while xbox requires you to be subbed to gamepass.   in what way is sony's "more hardcore"?

Legend

as i not xbox gamer i did a quick google search for gamepass rewards

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-game-pass/quests

at a glance i don't see really any meaningful difference other than sony's program seems to be for all playstation gamers while xbox requires you to be subbed to gamepass.   in what way is sony's "more hardcore"?
Most of the gamepass ones are really easy. I don't know of them having ones with limited winners like the winner of a tournament or the first to get a trophy.

But it's not like I really follow it.

kitler53

Most of the gamepass ones are really easy. I don't know of them having ones with limited winners like the winner of a tournament or the first to get a trophy.

But it's not like I really follow it.
gotcha.  that "first to play" one made my eyes roll.  it will probably go to the same dozen guys every time.  I loath the idea of rushing a game to play it quickly. 

kitler53

well it's been a minute so I think I can safely says ps stars is quite underwhelming. 

good - I just got like $3 in points for preordering GoW

bad - basically everything else.  the digital rewards are dumb.  the "quests" are annoying in that I have to log in to "start" the quest.  the point rewards wasn't worth it either.  do remote play 4x times for 5 minutes minimum to earn $0.30 in points.  get the fudge out of here....

nnodley

Yeah I'm very disappointed with it. I didn't even get points for buying Gotham knights

At least it was free