PS5 teardown is here!

Started by the-pi-guy, Oct 07, 2020, 12:04 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

Xevross

And people doubted Sony, lol. This console is amazingly well designed.

Xevross

Oct 07, 2020, 01:27 PM Last Edit: Oct 07, 2020, 01:30 PM by Xevross
That SSD expansion slot, the dust collectors, the base, so user friendly. Amazing work here.

Xevross

Also this proves the Russian leak was actually real, so 664GB of storage it seems is correct.

DerNebel

I get anxiety watching this. What if he breaks something? :D

the-pi-guy

Didn't comment on this early because I was in a hurry.

The large fan, the massive heatsink, and the liquid metal make it clear that cooling wasn't an afterthought like it felt on the PS4.  

I thought the base was well thought out before (there are good logistical reasons for the design).  But it managed to be even better.  
(And funnily enough some people are picking on MS a bit more with their un-removable stand, which I didn't expect).  

The SSD expansion slot is as easy as it could have been.

The PS4 had a pleasant design, but this makes the PS4's design feel like a last minute thing.

They took some different choices than MS, but its hard to deny both consoles are really well designed.

Legend

nnodley

So this seemingly confirms they will likely be selling different colored faceplates and even special ones for different games.  

DerNebel

Oct 07, 2020, 02:52 PM Last Edit: Oct 07, 2020, 03:02 PM by DerNebel
So this seemingly confirms they will likely be selling different colored faceplates and even special ones for different games. 
Seems likely. Wonder how that will affect things like special edition consoles.

Faceplates can likely be sold at a huge markup, while still being cheap enough for way more people to consider getting some than they would for a special edition console. I could easily see myself paying like 50€ for some black faceplates or something.

kitler53

Seems likely. Wonder how that will affect things like special edition consoles.

Faceplates can likely be sold at a huge markup, while still being cheap enough for way more people to consider getting some than they would for a special edition console. I could easily see myself paying like 50€ for some black faceplates or something.
100% true.  it's just a piece of plastic so it probably costs like $5 or less to make.  but guys like me will see $50 as soo affordable compared to buying a $500 SE console.   it's a stupidly obvious solution that i can't believe MS didn't figure out.  I feel like forum dwellers have been pitching this idea for 5 years now.

sony is going to make soo much money with this design.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

kitler53

i'm going to be a bit racist here but having what i'll assume is a 5'0" asian guy do the break down makes the console look so massively gigantic.   the ps5 is practically the size of his entire upper body.   they should have gotten a bigger dude to do this.   ...or a women.   (horary, i fit in some sexism too!!)

and holy carp at that fan/heat sink.  it's at least half the the ps5's volume.  

BananaKing

100% true.  it's just a piece of plastic so it probably costs like $5 or less to make.  but guys like me will see $50 as soo affordable compared to buying a $500 SE console.   it's a stupidly obvious solution that i can't believe MS didn't figure out.  I feel like forum dwellers have been pitching this idea for 5 years now.

5$? Its just a piece of plastic. It would cost them less than a dollar to produce. Remember the article about the PS5 BOM. The cooling system was just a few dollars. Older cooling systems where less. A face plate is gonna cost less.

They should price them at like 10 or 15. So people find them cheap and keep buying

kitler53

Oct 07, 2020, 04:03 PM Last Edit: Oct 07, 2020, 04:07 PM by kitler53
5$? Its just a piece of plastic. It would cost them less than a dollar to produce. Remember the article about the PS5 BOM. The cooling system was just a few dollars. Older cooling systems where less. A face plate is gonna cost less.

They should price them at like 10 or 15. So people find them cheap and keep buying
i mean, i said "or less".  i wanted to be a bit generous so as to not overstate the massive profit margin selling face plates will have.   

i think $20 at least.   cheap enough that every consumer buys 1.   expensive enough to make massive profits on the "whales" that "gotta have them all".    this is a completely unnecessary accessory to ps5 and having a high profit margin will be acceptable since it is soo unnecessary.

even if they cost $1 i can't see myself buying more than 1.  i really don't need a closet full of faceplates...

the-pi-guy

If there were some nice ones for $20, I would probably buy 1.  

Legend

100% true.  it's just a piece of plastic so it probably costs like $5 or less to make.  but guys like me will see $50 as soo affordable compared to buying a $500 SE console.   it's a stupidly obvious solution that i can't believe MS didn't figure out.  I feel like forum dwellers have been pitching this idea for 5 years now.

360 did this years ago. Was really popular.