Movie Thread

Started by Dr. Pezus, May 25, 2014, 04:14 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Legend

Toy Story, Bugs Life, and Toy Story 2 I classify separately since I don't remember watching them for the first time. The rest of the Pixar films I can somewhat remember my first viewing.

I think more or less all of their films up till Brave I didn't love on first viewing. (Brave was the first one I didn't even like). Ratatouille for example I remember going to an early screening and we got to write down our thoughts. Was great but not amazing.

I'd rank finding Nemo lower than a lot of their other old movies but I think that and Incredibles are the ones I liked the most on first viewing. Walle was good too but as a kid it really needed multiple viewings to be fully appreciated.

Just reminiscing, but I remember loving Iron Giant when I first saw it. My mom had taken us so when we got back I was super excited explaining to my dad how awesome the robot was and how cool the scenes were. Ended up getting a toy Iron Giant for my birthday that year.

Would love it if Incredibles 2 recaptured that old Pixar magic. The trailers don't fill me with confidence but it's the one Pixar movie in recent memory that I've been excited about.

Just a random thought, but do you guys remember the movie Meet the Robinsons? That movie reminds me so much of modern Pixar  :P

(also shout out to Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, one heck of an animated movie)

Xevross

Am I still thr only one who's seen Incredibles 2?  Haven't seen anyone else mention watching it.  

That'd be weird if I was, I'm usually the last to do so.  

Xev probably has another 10 days yet.  
Yeah I'm probably going in 10 days. Get back from holiday on the friday, will go saturday most likely.

I never saw the iron giant, maybe I should. I haven't watched meet the robinsons either.

Xevross

In box office news, both Incredibles 2 and Jurassic World are performing very well. JW heading for around $400m domestic, may fall behind Incredibles 2 on a daily basis this week though as Incredibles 2 is having much better legs. $600m is not entirely out of the question for I2, which would be, well, incredible.

Ant-Man releases this week. The opening of the first was $57m and tracking is pointing to a $70-80m opening for the new film. Anything higher would be great, and excellent growth.

the-pi-guy

Iron Giant is awesome.
I think meet the Robinson's is a decent movie.

nnodley

I don't care for modern pixar either.  I actually never really cared for them outside of toy story and the incredibles.

Xevross

I rewatched Wall-E as I'd forgotten most of it. Really nice film. Falls short of Inside Out for me and its not even close to Coco. New Pixar still wins 8)

the-pi-guy

I rewatched Wall-E as I'd forgotten most of it. Really nice film. Falls short of Inside Out for me and its not even close to Coco. New Pixar still wins 8)
Hmmm, yeah.  This is about where I am.  
Actually Inside Out is probably my favorite or second favorite.

Xevross

Hmmm, yeah.  This is about where I am.  
Actually Inside Out is probably my favorite or second favorite.
Yeah Incredibles, Inside Out and Coco are my top 3. The Finding films just behind that, hopefully I2 makes it into the top 5.

Legend

Top 10

Walle
Incredibles
Monsters Inc
Ratatouille
Finding Nemo
Toy Story
Up
Bugs Life
Cars
Toy Story 3

the-pi-guy

Oh gosh, this is gonna be tough.  

My top 10:
Inside Out (I just feel this was the most relatable to me.)
Incredibles
Monsters Inc
Incredibles 2
Up
Wall-E
Coco
Ratatouille
Toy Story
Cars
Coco and Incredibles 2 are too new though, they might go up.  

Xevross

Top 10

Walle
Incredibles
Monsters Inc
Ratatouille
Finding Nemo
Toy Story
Up
Bugs Life
Cars
Toy Story 3
Man I need to rewatch ratatouille and monsters inc as well. Up is a fantastic movie too, definitely up there for me! :D

Dr. Pezus

I think we can all agree Pixar are good!

Legend

New Antman is also good. Very empty for opening day though. How is it tracking xev?

BananaKing

New Antman is also good. Very empty for opening day though. How is it tracking xev?
Ahead of the first. It's previews were actually pretty good. Estimates are 88 million for the weekend.

the-pi-guy

Watched the first one again.  

Some could be better stuff:
Spoiler for Incredibles 2:
<br>Pretty much what I said before. <br>There&#39;s 2 things that feel retconned. &nbsp;They aren&#39;t really. &nbsp;The movie is just taking advantage of a few missing details. &nbsp;<br><br>They are kind of telling the viewer that the Incredibles family has no idea what happens to Jack Jack. &nbsp;At the end of Incredibles 1, they still think that Jack Jack doesn&#39;t have any powers. &nbsp;Which feels weird because you basically have to fill in the detail that they are too far away to actually see what&#39;s happening to Jack Jack, even though they do see him. &nbsp;<br><br>It&#39;s kind of a similar story with supers being illegal. &nbsp;In the first movie, this fits. &nbsp;But the first movie doesn&#39;t explicitly say the supers are illegal. &nbsp;It says there was a program to relocate them, and they were all living normal lives. &nbsp;<br>So the second movie makes it feel like it&#39;s a lot more serious. &nbsp;<br><br>

Go Up