The VR thread. U R Not red(e) PSVR2 is legitimate!

Viewing single post

Started by Mmm_fish_tacos, Sep 05, 2015, 06:10 PM

previous topic - next topic

How sick of Pi's VR hype are you?

the-pi-guy

The VR threads are my threads.  Apparently.

in the span of about 3 years, I will have bought 7 different VR headsets - NeoGAF

Going back to 2013, I have bought an Oculus Rift DK1, an Oculus Rift DK2 (actually, 4 of them), a Gear VR, a dedicated Google Cardboard holder, and I have an Oculus Rift CV1 preordered, an HTC Vive Preordered, and a Playstation VR preordered.  I paid full price for all of them, I was not a rift kickstarter backer, and I did not attend the Unity Vision Summit where they gave away Vives. And I'll probably switch to the next iteration of the Galaxy Note this year and get the new Gear VR with it.
 Going forward, I'd expect to buy the eventual Apple and Nvidia VR headsets when they release. And I'd love to get my hands on a hololens or google glass.
 This is testament to how quickly VR is evolving and I fudgy love it. Just a heads up that many of the consumer headsets just around the corner probably are not meant to last 3 or so years. Expect better headsets to come very quickly, and your own headset to become outdated much quicker than you'd think. In about a couple of years, for example, Foveated Rendering will become feasible for consumer products and make all our current headsets obsolete. VR headsets for the next 1/2 decade or so will iterate rapidly much the same way video cards and 3D accelerators did in the second half of the 90's.