The Verge (Lockhart): "We understand that includes 7.5GB of usable RAM, a slightly underclocked CPU speed, and around 4 teraflops of GPU performance."

Viewing single post

Started by Legend, Jun 26, 2020, 03:01 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

I've been thinking that since the moment this thing was first rumoured. For some reason people have gradually started reacting very defensively to this idea, often dismissing it entirely because "the Lockhart will just run the same at 1080p and everything else will be the same". I don't buy that shame and already see this machine becoming a massive headache to devs by the midway point of next gen.
Almost every community nowadays is confident in their position, regardless of what it may be. Makes meaningful discussions pretty hard  :P

I think the majority of games will be fine on lockhart. Scale resolution, scale textures, decrease draw distances/lod distances, decrease particle effects, remove raytracing, and the majority of games can function on it even if the results aren't that pretty.

The harder part imo are games that do anything unique. GPU compute, simulations, raytracing exclusive features, procedural worlds, vr, etc. are much harder to scale and might require full reworks.

I think Microsoft is stuck in a sort of paradox. If Lockhart support is optional then there is no problem for devs. It'd just be like PC games with high minimum requirements. Yet if lockhart support is optional, how does Microsoft market this thing? It's almost like there are three competing consoles for next gen, all with pros and cons.