Movie Thread

Started by Dr. Pezus, May 25, 2014, 04:14 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Xevross

From what I seen, the gameplay seems fun, but they went for a looter genre, which IMO kinda sucks, I wish they would have had a proper single player and a separate multiplayer from it. Something more in the line of RDR2 ir GTA5.

A 10~ hour campaign for an avengers game doesnt sound exciting at all.
Wrong game based on highest grossing movie of all time.

Monday is $29m for TROS, down about 29% from Sunday. Really good hold, TFA was -34% while TLJ and Rogue One were over 50%. This is very much expected though considering its the 23rd. Here is a link to the numbers comparison between the 4.

Tuesday is christmas eve so will be a comparatively bad day, apparently early numbers point to $20m which is about expected, would be down 31%. TFA was down 28% on christmas eve (thursday), TLJ down 40% (sunday), Rogue One down 31% (saturday). So performance looking good in the weekdays so far. Perhaps opening weekend was slightly deflated for TROS with many planning to see it in the following week.

Legend

Ended up seeing Star Wars today. About on par with The Force Awakens but I didn't think that one was great either.

Had some good moments. Had lots of funky plot.

Legend

I've missed your updates xev!

BananaKing

Finally watched end game. Great movie, but I feel infinity wars is still the best marvel movie

Xevross

Dec 28, 2019, 10:57 PM Last Edit: Dec 28, 2019, 11:05 PM by Xevross
I've missed your updates xev!
I've been super busy, waiting until weekend numbers come in anyway since performance over christmas was very expected.

Domestically a good Mon-Thurs for star wars thanks to christmas boost, perhaps did a bit better than expected given a $177m opening weekend. Running total of $290m before the weekend, so $290m is a good first week but still you would have expected far better.

2nd weekend is looking very bad for Star Wars, only $26m friday off $30m thursday is a disastrous figure, perhaps WOM is genuinely bad and the christmas boost is over now. That's a -71% friday (drop from last week) which is miles worse than TFA, worse than RO but better than TLJ. However it is holiday boosted when TLJ wasn't quite yet.

If it plays normal from here its looking to head to ~$550m total but there's signs of collapse, with BOT insider saying saturday presales point to 23-24m. A drop on saturday is almost unheard of and would be genuinely awful, and if it does come in at 23-24 then under $500m total may still happen, perhaps under $1b WW could also still happen if overseas is similar.

Xevross

Dec 29, 2019, 04:30 PM Last Edit: Dec 29, 2019, 04:33 PM by Xevross
Crisis scenario avoided with $25m saturday and 3-day weekend estimate of $72m, dom total so far $361m. Still not good, total probably heading towards low 500s total domestic.

Overseas weekend of $94m, WW total now $724m. That's okay, should end up grossing slightly more overseas than dom when all is said and done. $1.05-1.1b total looking most likely.

Legend

Seems Disney will be fine.

I wonder if history will end up being kinder to this film and put all three new movies in the same boat ala the prequels. This has been a funky ride now that we've seen it from start to finish.

8 had the coolest parts imo, force projection luke was great, but they have all been so aimless. 7 was a super safe reboot of past plots, 8 could be skipped without confusing the viewer, and 9 follows the "rule of cool" 100% of the time without actually being cool.

Xevross

Dec 30, 2019, 10:25 PM Last Edit: Dec 30, 2019, 10:34 PM by Xevross
Seems Disney will be fine.

I wonder if history will end up being kinder to this film and put all three new movies in the same boat ala the prequels. This has been a funky ride now that we've seen it from start to finish.

8 had the coolest parts imo, force projection luke was great, but they have all been so aimless. 7 was a super safe reboot of past plots, 8 could be skipped without confusing the viewer, and 9 follows the "rule of cool" 100% of the time without actually being cool.
Um what same boat? Most people consider revenge of the sith to be vastly superior to the first two prequels (myself included). Opinions for TROS are a bit all over the place but reliable metrics show general audiences think its the worst of the bunch. I agree with you second paragraph basically. 8 is the best film but in the context of the saga its almost irrelevant.

Box office wise its been funny to see lots of people, who aren't particularly knowledgable in the box office, claiming TROS has been doing amazingly well since its now only $6m behind TLJ launch aligned, people saying that means its legs are better and its going to fly past TLJ's $620m dom total.

Of course, the reality is TLJ released 5 days earlier and its second full week was massive. Monday onwards TLJ starts to smoke TROS. It did $27.5m on its second monday compared to estimated $14.5m for TROS. TLJ grossed $149m in its second full week, TROS will be lucky to add $90m... and the gap will keep growing. $14.5m monday means it may well miss the $500m domestic mark after all.

Xevross

Frozen 2 opened in Scandanavian and baltic countries this weekend. It set the biggest opening weekend of the year in all of them, and looks to be the new highest grossing film ever in some of those countries. Film continues to be extremely strong DOM and pretty much everywhere overseas. Depending on how long it can go in Japan it may well make it to the $1.5b mark, which is incredible really. Likely range is $1.48-1.52b total.

Frozen 2 being almost 50% bigger than the big finale to the star wars skywalker saga, wowzas.

Dr. Pezus

Frozen 2 opened in Scandanavian and baltic countries this weekend. It set the biggest opening weekend of the year in all of them, and looks to be the new highest grossing film ever in some of those countries. Film continues to be extremely strong DOM and pretty much everywhere overseas. Depending on how long it can go in Japan it may well make it to the $1.5b mark, which is incredible really. Likely range is $1.48-1.52b total.

Frozen 2 being almost 50% bigger than the big finale to the star wars skywalker saga, wowzas.
Weird that it's been in cinemas here in Iceland for a few weeks and is only now opening in Scandinavia

Legend

Um what same boat? Most people consider revenge of the sith to be vastly superior to the first two prequels (myself included). Opinions for TROS are a bit all over the place but reliable metrics show general audiences think its the worst of the bunch. I agree with you second paragraph basically. 8 is the best film but in the context of the saga its almost irrelevant.

Box office wise its been funny to see lots of people, who aren't particularly knowledgable in the box office, claiming TROS has been doing amazingly well since its now only $6m behind TLJ launch aligned, people saying that means its legs are better and its going to fly past TLJ's $620m dom total.

Of course, the reality is TLJ released 5 days earlier and its second full week was massive. Monday onwards TLJ starts to smoke TROS. It did $27.5m on its second monday compared to estimated $14.5m for TROS. TLJ grossed $149m in its second full week, TROS will be lucky to add $90m... and the gap will keep growing. $14.5m monday means it may well miss the $500m domestic mark after all.
I liked phantom menace and attack of the clones a fair amount when they first came out but they were really focused on wee kids. George sure made his merchandise money off me lol. Revenge of the sith was darker and significantly better in many ways but it still very much has that distinctive prequel feel. It's super easy to lump them together as a monolith and I'd argue the general public has. It's not like prequel memes only focuses on the first two films haha.

Spoiler for Hidden:
General grievous was by far my favorite character. They made him so awesome in the books and marketing pre release and I was so bumbed how quickly he died.

the-pi-guy

Spoiler for Joker:
<br>Nearly done with the movie. &nbsp;<br><br>The movie is brilliantly put together. &nbsp;But depressing. &nbsp;<br><br>Depressing doesn&#39;t even cover it. &nbsp;It starts depressing, then it keeps beating how depressing it is into you. &nbsp;<br>I think you could have shrunk the movie by an hour, still gotten the point. &nbsp;But then it&#39;d be bearable. &nbsp;<br><br><div style="margin:20px; margin-top:5px"><div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px"><b>Spoiler</b> for <i>Hidden</i>: <input type="button" value="Show" style="width:60px;font-size:10px;margin:0px;padding:0px;" onClick="if (this.parentNode.parentNode.getElementsByTagName('div')[1].getElementsByTagName('div')[0].style.display != '') { this.parentNode.parentNode.getElementsByTagName('div')[1].getElementsByTagName('div')[0].style.display = ''; this.value = 'Hide'; } else { this.parentNode.parentNode.getElementsByTagName('div')[1].getElementsByTagName('div')[0].style.display = 'none'; this.value = 'Show'; }"></div><div class="alt2" style="margin: 0px; padding: 6px; border: 1px inset;"><div style="display: none;"><br>For like an hour, you see him get bullied, mocked, beaten. &nbsp;<br><br>Adding in his mental illness. &nbsp;The movie feels too realistic. <br><br>Watching someone get beaten down too many times, and they finally decide that nothing is worth it. &nbsp;<br></div></div></div><br><br>The movie is a depressing tale of how society treats mental illness. &nbsp;<br><br>I don&#39;t know if I&#39;d recommend watching it. Or at the most, it&#39;s worth watching once. &nbsp;<br><br>

Xevross

Finally watched Paddington 2. Brilliant film!

Legend

Finally watched Paddington 2. Brilliant film!
You're gosh darn right it is!

Xevross

An incredibly dominant year from Disney at the box office. A lot of that is thanks to Marvel Studios, which grossed $5.06B worldwide from only 3 film releases. Marvel Studios, independent from Disney, would claim second place on this kist, beating all other major distributors.

Go Up