Xbox Series and PS5 Games Comparisons

Started by Xevross, Nov 11, 2020, 11:45 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

kitler53

On par with PS5 on framerate but had to drop to a lower resolution than PS5 to achieve it. Before it could only bottom out at 1440p but that wasn't enough to stop screen tearing and framerate dips. The patch allows it to go below 1440p.
so not so much as a fix as a re-prioritization..

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

SWORDF1SH

so not so much as a fix as a re-prioritization..
Pretty much

Dr. Pezus

PS5 better shadows, more grass density, faster loading
Both X and 5 have a few slight fps drops but mostly locked 60fps in resolution mode. Series S actually has smaller fps drops but more resolution drops.

Performance mode is unstable as hell it seems. Frequent drops to 100fps and even lower. Series X seems to slightly more stable fps in performance mode.

Xevross

Dec 04, 2020, 02:50 PM Last Edit: Dec 04, 2020, 02:54 PM by Xevross

Someone on Era made a nice TLDW:

• Sport games usually are harder to do than most genres, the recreation of a real life sport being the main ''problem'', but NBA 2K21 does it well with the generational leap
  • Player models are good with great skin shader and facial expressions, it's still not perfect but solid enough. The cloth work is also well done
  • Most significant change between last and current gen version are the materials, shading and lighting, a noticeable improvement with side by side comparisons.
  • Story mode is slightly worse graphics wise.
  • Sweat is great.
  • Courts uses new materials, more realistic ; Crowds are impressive, they even have individual fingers!
  • Use of high quality planar reflections
  • Next-gen version with several QoL improvements and with a completely unique U.I
  • Massive loading time improvements, from PS4 PRO's 28 seconds to INSTANT on the PS5.
  • XSX and PS5 are virtually identical. Native 4K.
  • PS4 PRO(and probably the same for XONEX) also runs ate Native 4K, but with the obvious current-gen graphical settings.
  • XSS is native 1080P with the same graphical setting as XSX/PS5, but with some scenes missing Depth of Field, U.I is also 1080P.
  • All Consoles have a mixed frame-rate, with gameplay at 60 and replays at 30.
  • Next-gen versions have a per-object motion blur.
  • XSX(on default camera) has an almost perfect 60FPS, with single frames dropping in an unussual way.
  • PS5 (on default camera) has a perfect 60FPS .
  • XSS (on default camera) also has the perfect 60FPS.
  • XSX has drops when using the panoramic camera, mainly when is showing most of the court, with the crowd and players.
  • Those drops don't happen on the PS5 version.
  • Those drops happens on the XSS version, but to a lesser extent.
  • Great results overall.

And here's a TLDR for this since this is a fudge load of bullet points:

• Massive next gen upgrade in all areas
  • PS5 and XSX run almost identically at native 4K perfect 60fps
  • XSS runs at native 1080p 60fps

Sounds like this is the best cross gen game in terms of performance and graphics.

the-pi-guy

>PS4 PRO(and probably the same for XONEX) also runs ate Native 4K, but with the obvious current-gen graphical settings.
XSS is native 1080P with the same graphical setting as XSX/PS5, but with some scenes missing Depth of Field, U.I is also 1080P.

Funny distinction.

Dr. Pezus

>PS4 PRO(and probably the same for XONEX) also runs ate Native 4K, but with the obvious current-gen graphical settings.
XSS is native 1080P with the same graphical setting as XSX/PS5, but with some scenes missing Depth of Field, U.I is also 1080P.

Funny distinction.
So next gen console with the massively lower res (and still lower than promised) and despite missing effects from ps5/XSX...

darkknightkryta

While I'm assuming the Series S was supposed to replace the entirety of the Xbox One line, they really should have just re-engineered the One X to use next gen effects instead (And release it as series S).

Xevross

So next gen console with the massively lower res (and still lower than promised) and despite missing effects from ps5/XSX...
That's a fair bit of spin to be honest.

Series S is playing the next gen version of the games at locked 1080p 60, which is the best that most people have with their displays anyway. I think its performance with this game is a perfect example of the S's strengths and why its a desirable product to some. The only thing its missing from the PS5/XSX versions is some depth of field in some shots, which could be a bug. Sure its not 1440p but like I said most people still have 1080p TVs, and its a huge upgrade from the base consoles of last gen.

This is the S's best showing so far for sure.

Dr. Pezus

That's a fair bit of spin to be honest.

Series S is playing the next gen version of the games at locked 1080p 60, which is the best that most people have with their displays anyway. I think its performance with this game is a perfect example of the S's strengths and why its a desirable product to some. The only thing its missing from the PS5/XSX versions is some depth of field in some shots, which could be a bug. Sure its not 1440p but like I said most people still have 1080p TVs, and its a huge upgrade from the base consoles of last gen.

This is the S's best showing so far for sure.
It's not spin, just the truth. I mean, it's alright but still not the 1440p but same effects machine that it was sold as

the-pi-guy

While I'm assuming the Series S was supposed to replace the entirety of the Xbox One line, they really should have just re-engineered the One X to use next gen effects instead (And release it as series S).
I'm very confused by this comment.

If you're talking about the resolution difference between the XOX and XSS versions, it makes perfect sense.  People bought the XOX for their 4KTV. People are buying the XSS because they don't care to play at 4K/don't have a 4KTV yet.

If you're talking about the hardware itself, the XSS is basically the console it needs to be.  A modified XOX would be worthless in 2 years. The XSS is probably cheaper to make and it'll run next gen games much better in the long term.

Xevross

It's not spin, just the truth. I mean, it's alright but still not the 1440p but same effects machine that it was sold as
Well I agree, it's once again making it look like Xbox have basically used false advertising for Series S. 1440p, 120fps, ray-tracing all next to each other continues to be extremely misleading.

However like I said this is actually a great showing for series S, this is what most people want out of it. As people move on to better displays in the coming years it'll be less desirable though.

darkknightkryta

I'm very confused by this comment.

If you're talking about the resolution difference between the XOX and XSS versions, it makes perfect sense.  People bought the XOX for their 4KTV. People are buying the XSS because they don't care to play at 4K/don't have a 4KTV yet.

If you're talking about the hardware itself, the XSS is basically the console it needs to be.  A modified XOX would be worthless in 2 years. The XSS is probably cheaper to make and it'll run next gen games much better in the long term.
I'm saying the Series S should have been as powerful as a One X but with its modern feature set.
An analogy would be a 3DS, sure it had updated graphics features, but at the same time it was weaker than a PS2.  It's how you got the borderline bad port of Xenoblade.  The series S should be able to take any Series X game, reduce the resolution to 1080p, and run it identically to how the Series X has to.  That extra grunt that the One X has with the Series S's updated architecture would be able to do this.  Instead you have devs having to chop games down to run on it.  What do you think is going to happen in a few years?  Especially as the price of the Series X comes down?
While Microsoft can replace the Xbox One line still easily, you're still left with this weird Series S console that needs to be replaced in a few years since it won't be able to keep up with its big brother.  Devs are going to have to be creating borderline last gen games just to keep them running on the series S.

the-pi-guy

I'm saying the Series S should have been as powerful as a One X but with its modern feature set.
An analogy would be a 3DS, sure it had updated graphics features, but at the same time it was weaker than a PS2.  It's how you got the borderline bad port of Xenoblade.  The series S should be able to take any Series X game, reduce the resolution to 1080p, and run it identically to how the Series X has to.  That extra grunt that the One X has with the Series S's updated architecture would be able to do this.  Instead you have devs having to chop games down to run on it.  What do you think is going to happen in a few years?  Especially as the price of the Series X comes down?
While Microsoft can replace the Xbox One line still easily, you're still left with this weird Series S console that needs to be replaced in a few years since it won't be able to keep up with its big brother.  Devs are going to have to be creating borderline last gen games just to keep them running on the series S.
That's a weird take on this game, because that's essentially what it's doing.  It is running 1080p at near XSX settings.

The XSS has more grunt than the XOX, it just is distributed in different ways.

Xevross

Dec 05, 2020, 07:10 PM Last Edit: Dec 05, 2020, 07:14 PM by Xevross
An analogy would be a 3DS, sure it had updated graphics features, but at the same time it was weaker than a PS2.  It's how you got the borderline bad port of Xenoblade.  The series S should be able to take any Series X game, reduce the resolution to 1080p, and run it identically to how the Series X has to. That extra grunt that the One X has with the Series S's updated architecture would be able to do this.  Instead you have devs having to chop games down to run on it.  What do you think is going to happen in a few years?  Especially as the price of the Series X comes down?
While Microsoft can replace the Xbox One line still easily, you're still left with this weird Series S console that needs to be replaced in a few years since it won't be able to keep up with its big brother.  Devs are going to have to be creating borderline last gen games just to keep them running on the series S.
It literally is. It lacks in GPU and RAM but has a vastly better CPU, and overall they roughly balance out.

Again that's basically what we're seeing. NBA 2K is a perfect example of series S doing exactly that.

I've been the first person to criticise the Series S, but you've clearly not seen its actual specs or something like that. Your "what they should have done" is pretty much describing the Series S.

The problem is that a lot of games aren't running 4K on PS5/XSX, they're running dynamic and way under 4K. So Series S equivalent version runs dynamic sub-1080p and sometimes has to sacrifice features for the resolution to stay high enough. That's always going to happen when devs are pushing the flagship consoles to their limits, when the X and PS5 are dropping to 1440p, the S was never going to have any hope of reaching 1080p. Its a tricky situation for devs, and it will lead to a lot of scale backs and treating S like an after-thought, simply turning features off to get it to work. That's what we expected, and the S would have to be much more powerful in terms of raw numbers than the One X to avoid this.

And you're right about the second half, in a few years the S will be redundant and everyone who bought it will be unhappy, but that's what you get for buying budget products I suppose. There's no easy fix with the S. Its a budget product, you get budget next gen performance with it. With some games it will run the full flagship version at 1080p 60, but these are probably not graphical showcases anyway, with many games it will really struggle and have features cut. But that's what S buyers are signing up for, and what xbox are doing their best to hide with borderline false-advertising.

the-pi-guy

Native 4K/60fps on Series X. One of the cleanest games they've seen.
1800p/60fps on PS5
1080p/60fps on Series S.
Series X has Ultra Textures and High Shadows.
PS5 has Ultra Textures and Medium Shadows.
Series S has High Textures and Low Shadows.
Framerate is close to perfect on all platforms, with a few exceptions.
Load times are virtually identical on all next-gen platforms, with PS5 typically coming in about 1/2 a second faster.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/digital-foundry-hitman-3-ps5-vs-xbox-series-x-s-comparison-an-xbox-advantage-at-4k.364871/

Go Up