PlayStation Community Thread

Started by Dr. Pezus, May 03, 2014, 03:25 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

DerNebel

It's not even about the delays.  

It's about the lack of good news for first party this week to counteract any of the bad news.  

A new game trailer for Horizon would have been good news.  

Or even heck, "Gran Turismo 7 has gotten delayed due to Covid, but we wanted to show you the progress we've made" would have been good news for me.
We got a State of Play including an update on their next first party game Returnal yesterday, R&C's release date like two weeks ago. You're way too focused on it being an announcement made by their internal studios specifically. Those studios are still working on their projects, who gives a shame, if they show a trailer now or in a couple months? What difference does it make?

Also Sony probably doesn't consider Days Gone on PC "bad news" and wasn't planning on announcing the Japan Studio thing yesterday either. So the only bad news they wanted to break this week is the Gran Turismo delay and Sony announcing delays unceremoniously isn't anything new either.

kitler53

woah.  FF and maquette.  that's a seriously good month for me. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

kitler53

Feb 26, 2021, 03:17 PM Last Edit: Feb 26, 2021, 03:37 PM by kitler53
We got a State of Play including an update on their next first party game Returnal yesterday, R&C's release date like two weeks ago. You're way too focused on it being an announcement made by their internal studios specifically. Those studios are still working on their projects, who gives a shame, if they show a trailer now or in a couple months? What difference does it make?

Also Sony probably doesn't consider Days Gone on PC "bad news" and wasn't planning on announcing the Japan Studio thing yesterday either. So the only bad news they wanted to break this week is the Gran Turismo delay and Sony announcing delays unceremoniously isn't anything new either.
i'm only going to give a half-hearted attempt to defend Pi but...

...it really comes down to a general sense of sony isn't doing what they should.   it's not as bad as nintendo for me yet but my opinion of them really soured on them during the wii era where they were making billions in profit a quarter and they did nothing with those profits to 1. make sure games release regularly 2. make game that don't feel like they cheaped out on the development 3. get stable internet code.  4. ect. and so forth.    these bad opinions have re-doubled with switch where despite a "unified" library they have huge periods of no games punctuated by the laziest fudgy ports ever sold at full price.   as a gamer i invested a lot into nintendo over the years and i feel taken for granted.

sony posted massive profits in 2020 on the back of playstation,.. then raise prices to $70 and decide they need to port their backlog to PC due to "increase development costs".   MS goes out and acquires tons of studios over the last year including a 7.5 billion dollar investment in betheseda and meanwhile sony closes (or reduces or re-orgs) their japan studios.  MS did a fantastic job with BC and sony was fine but at the same time clearly not a priority for them.  i can "understand" the game delays but at the same time it sucks. 

point is,.. sony feels like they've pivoted from a mentality of "how do we delight our consumers" to "how to we delight our investors".  i've not soured yet but at the same time i'm not entirely happy either.     ....at least sony didn't try to double the cost of ps+ at least.

Legend

Maquette, amazing!!!

DerNebel

...it really comes down to a general sense of sony isn't doing what they should.   it's not as bad as nintendo for me yet but my opinion of them really soured on them during the wii era where they were making billions in profit a quarter and they did nothing with those profits to 1. make sure games release regularly 2. make game that don't feel like they cheaped out on the development 3. get stable internet code.  4. ect. and so forth.    these bad opinions have re-doubled with switch where despite a "unified" library they have huge periods of no games punctuated by the laziest fudgy ports ever sold at full price.   as a gamer i invested a lot into nintendo over the years and i feel taken for granted.

sony posted massive profits in 2020 on the back of playstation,.. then raise prices to $70 and decide they need to port their backlog to PC due to "increase development costs".   MS goes out and acquires tons of studios over the last year including a 7.5 billion dollar investment in betheseda and meanwhile sony closes (or reduces or re-orgs) their japan studios.  MS did a fantastic job with BC and sony was fine but at the same time clearly not a priority for them.  i can "understand" the game delays but at the same time it sucks.  

point is,.. sony feels like they've pivoted from a mentality of "how do we delight our consumers" to "how to we delight our investors".  i've not soured yet but at the same time i'm not entirely happy either.     ....at least sony didn't try to double the cost of ps+ at least.
MS seriously did a number on Gamers when they infested them with these brainworms that to delight your consumers you have to go on massive acquisitions sprees. This shame isn't even something that should be cheered on, but now people practically demand it. Pity not everybody has a parent company that makes over $10bln in profit every quarter to back up these moves.

And I understand disappointment in the few people who actually played and enjoyed Japan Studios output in the last 6-7 years, but people who are mad simply because Sony isn't desperately clinging to teams who've shown no sign of willingness or ability to adapt with the time and put out either commercially successful games or at least games of consistently high quality, because "the competition is investing and they are closing teams" is absurd to me. Same as taking it as an affront to their consumers when a couple of their backlog titles get put on PC.

People's expectations of what represents "delighting you consumers" have completely warped. The PS5 is a vastly better machine for its time than the PS4 was in 2013, even with delays the PS5 will have a clearly stronger lineup in its first year than the PS4 had and PS Plus is, as of now at least, also offering way better things than it did on PS4 in 2014.

I won't be delusional here and act like their investors and making money aren't priority number one for Sony, they are a company, of course they are, but simply because we aren't seeing them make big acquisitions all the time or because they are closing teams that haven't delivered in ages, doesn't mean they are only focused on pleasing their investors now.

I mean even in this record year, their operating income margin is "only" projected to be like 13% as opposed to Nintendo who is projecting a cool 35% (Microsoft of course doesn't publish Xbox numbers, but as a company their margin is also solidly over 30%), I'm sure they would be running a much leaner business if they were doing as little as people tend to accuse them off.

darkknightkryta

...it really comes down to a general sense of sony isn't doing what they should.   it's not as bad as nintendo for me yet but my opinion of them really soured on them during the wii era where they were making billions in profit a quarter and they did nothing with those profits to 1. make sure games release regularly 2. make game that don't feel like they cheaped out on the development 3. get stable internet code.  4. ect. and so forth.    these bad opinions have re-doubled with switch where despite a "unified" library they have huge periods of no games punctuated by the laziest fudgy ports ever sold at full price.   as a gamer i invested a lot into nintendo over the years and i feel taken for granted.

sony posted massive profits in 2020 on the back of playstation,.. then raise prices to $70 and decide they need to port their backlog to PC due to "increase development costs".   MS goes out and acquires tons of studios over the last year including a 7.5 billion dollar investment in betheseda and meanwhile sony closes (or reduces or re-orgs) their japan studios.  MS did a fantastic job with BC and sony was fine but at the same time clearly not a priority for them.  i can "understand" the game delays but at the same time it sucks. 

point is,.. sony feels like they've pivoted from a mentality of "how do we delight our consumers" to "how to we delight our investors".  i've not soured yet but at the same time i'm not entirely happy either.     ....at least sony didn't try to double the cost of ps+ at least.
If I can add to you Kitler, I feel like the current set of execs are building a house of cards right now.  The question is; how much of it falls when it does? Or will it keep going up?

kitler53

MS seriously did a number on Gamers when they infested them with these brainworms that to delight your consumers you have to go on massive acquisitions sprees. This shame isn't even something that should be cheered on, but now people practically demand it. Pity not everybody has a parent company that makes over $10bln in profit every quarter to back up these moves.

And I understand disappointment in the few people who actually played and enjoyed Japan Studios output in the last 6-7 years, but people who are mad simply because Sony isn't desperately clinging to teams who've shown no sign of willingness or ability to adapt with the time and put out either commercially successful games or at least games of consistently high quality, because "the competition is investing and they are closing teams" is absurd to me. Same as taking it as an affront to their consumers when a couple of their backlog titles get put on PC.

People's expectations of what represents "delighting you consumers" have completely warped. The PS5 is a vastly better machine for its time than the PS4 was in 2013, even with delays the PS5 will have a clearly stronger lineup in its first year than the PS4 had and PS Plus is, as of now at least, also offering way better things than it did on PS4 in 2014.

I won't be delusional here and act like their investors and making money aren't priority number one for Sony, they are a company, of course they are, but simply because we aren't seeing them make big acquisitions all the time or because they are closing teams that haven't delivered in ages, doesn't mean they are only focused on pleasing their investors now.

I mean even in this record year, their operating income margin is "only" projected to be like 13% as opposed to Nintendo who is projecting a cool 35% (Microsoft of course doesn't publish Xbox numbers, but as a company their margin is also solidly over 30%), I'm sure they would be running a much leaner business if they were doing as little as people tend to accuse them off.
yeah but,.. it's not all about studio japan.  hell, it's barely about studio japan.

MS will have (i believe) 23 development studios once bethesda closes while sony has 13.   MS has made public statements they intend to acquire even more studios.  MS has decided to put all of those studios games (and their entire backlog) onto gamepass day-1 for $180 a year.   oh, and there is some 3rd party content there too.  

meanwhile sony raised their prices to $70 and closed a beloved (although admittedly floundering) studio.

this is not about how ps5 compares to ps4.  it's about how playstation compares to xbox today and into the future.   you can say "MS seriously did a number on Gamers when..." but the bottom line is there is clearly a huge market disruption in-progress and if you aren't worried about playstation's long term viability you're not paying attention.  like it or not MS is set to overthrow the entire industry and playstation appears to be moving backwards instead of forwards.   

DerNebel

yeah but,.. it's not all about studio japan.  hell, it's barely about studio japan.

MS will have (i believe) 23 development studios once bethesda closes while sony has 13.   MS has made public statements they intend to acquire even more studios.  MS has decided to put all of those studios games (and their entire backlog) onto gamepass day-1 for $180 a year.   oh, and there is some 3rd party content there too.  

meanwhile sony raised their prices to $70 and closed a beloved (although admittedly floundering) studio.

this is not about how ps5 compares to ps4.  it's about how playstation compares to xbox today and into the future.   you can say "MS seriously did a number on Gamers when..." but the bottom line is there is clearly a huge market disruption in-progress and if you aren't worried about playstation's long term viability you're not paying attention.  like it or not MS is set to overthrow the entire industry and playstation appears to be moving backwards instead of forwards.  
Oh cool, so the acquisition whining has arrived on vizioneck now as well, great.

If that's what you want to worry about then you can switch to MS right now. Sony will never outspend them in that field, cause they literally can't.

And it seems like you noticed that you couldn't leave it at "it's about how playstation compares to xbox today" and added an "and into the future", because today they compare pretty dang favourably to Xbox, who for all the studios they own and bought, still weren't able to launch the Xbox Series X/S with a single game. So it's always in the future, let us all please worry about 2022 or 2023, hell why stop there? Why not go up until 2025? 2030?

Because clearly nobody at SIE has any longterm strategy, which is illustrated by them raising the price of games (which other publishers did as well and which will probably be the new standard in 2 years), closing a """""beloved""""" studio and not having announced 10 new first party games that won't release until 2026 or gotten into a fullfledged acquisition war with MS.

Oh and of course we already know all of SIE's plans and they couldn't be working on things that they simply won't announce yet. Not like we had the exact same situation last year, where people spent the majority of the year panicking about SIE and their strategy for the PS5, the console itself and its lineup only for that to end up being completely unwarranted. Really great, that we're starting this rodeo up again.

the-pi-guy

Oh cool, so the acquisition whining has arrived on vizioneck now as well, great.
Why are you being so difficult to talk to, right now?
It's like you're looking for stuff to be upset about.  

Dr. Pezus

Legend

kitler53

If that's what you want to worry about then you can switch to MS right now. Sony will never outspend them in that field, cause they literally can't.

And it seems like you noticed that you couldn't leave it at "it's about how playstation compares to xbox today" and added an "and into the future", because today they compare pretty dang favourably to Xbox, who for all the studios they own and bought, still weren't able to launch the Xbox Series X/S with a single game. So it's always in the future, let us all please worry about 2022 or 2023, hell why stop there? Why not go up until 2025? 2030?

Because clearly nobody at SIE has any longterm strategy, which is illustrated by them raising the price of games (which other publishers did as well and which will probably be the new standard in 2 years), closing a """""beloved""""" studio and not having announced 10 new first party games that won't release until 2026 or gotten into a fullfledged acquisition war with MS.

Oh and of course we already know all of SIE's plans and they couldn't be working on things that they simply won't announce yet. Not like we had the exact same situation last year, where people spent the majority of the year panicking about SIE and their strategy for the PS5, the console itself and its lineup only for that to end up being completely unwarranted. Really great, that we're starting this rodeo up again.
it feels like i've upset you with my posts.

of course i'm worried about the future of playstation,.. i love playstation and i've heavily investing into their ecosystem.   while i don't fully know what the future will bring i feel pretty certain about 1 thing,.. i'm not going to be able to play the next entry in the doom franchise on my playstation 5.  

i'll tell you another thing,.. i have a depressed feeling that the reason we haven't heard about the rumor bluepoint games acquisition is because MS decided to offer more money than sony.  

Xevross

I don't know why anyone has to be so defensive.

I'm very worried about the long term of Playstation right now for many reasons. PS5 gen will be fine but it feels like Sony are not looking to the future at all.

I expect by the end of the gen, xbox will be generating more revenue and therefore be ahead in a business sense, xbox have also built up their brand to be better resistant to falling console sales, while PS are very much still reliant.

The PS brand is still a lot bigger globally right now, but Xbox feels more stable and healthier with a long term view.

the-pi-guy

the-pi-guy

It's really a game changer having fast internet. 

I started Ratchet's download.  Scrolled down my list of games, came back and it was halfway to playable.  In 3 minutes.  That would have taken like 8 hours at my parents.  ;D

Go Up