Ask me anything about Cube Royale [serious]

Started by Legend, Mar 13, 2018, 03:21 AM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

I'm going to be revealing the game fairly shortly and everyone on the forum will be beta testing my marketing. So mostly no more secrets.

Ask away.

JoeTheBro

Can I have alts in the game?

Legend

I'm not exactly sure how I'll handle progression, but probably not. There's no real reason you'd want to swap between multiple accounts, but I could potentially see people wanting to do multiple "playthroughs." I might need to add a new game+ option.

BananaKing

Will my bananaking Easter egg be in the game?

the-pi-guy

Are there costumes?

I want my cube to wear a funny hat.  

Legend

Will my bananaking Easter egg be in the game?
I'd like it to. Won't bother with easter eggs until the game is finished.

Are there costumes?

I want my cube to wear a funny hat.  
No. I'm not the best at creating art assets so I can't include cosmetics like that without more delays. Also hats and stuff would feel out of place. I've dropped the concept of having game skins too.

Xevross

What kind of rewards/ progression system is in the game?

Legend

What kind of rewards/ progression system is in the game?
Lots of the progression system is still being worked on but the general plan is to have both an in-game currency and player experience.

Finish a match and earn say 120 Eckms. Earning these Eckms increases your experience. Once enough xp has been gained, you level up.

Using Eckms you can buy new maps, new modes, and new titles like "the punisher." Most of these unlocks will also need you to have reached a certain level, and some of them will have specific requirements.

In addition to this, every time you level up you earn a "DLC coin." This is then spent on 1 of ~5 new features as a way to vote for what you want most.

(again this is in no way set in stone. Also I need a better currency than Eckms)

the-pi-guy

No. I'm not the best at creating art assets so I can't include cosmetics like that without more delays. Also hats and stuff would feel out of place. I've dropped the concept of having game skins too.
Not even different colored cubes? :o

This dev just doesn't listen to the people.  

Legend

Mar 13, 2018, 11:21 PM Last Edit: Mar 13, 2018, 11:25 PM by Legend
Not even different colored cubes?
Color is important for telling teammates and enemies appart. You might be able to manually set the color, but it won't be treated as a cosmetic.

The only cube customization I haven't ruled out is taunts. Those could work since they'd have zero impact on gameplay yet I'm not sure I could produce any worthy designs.

Dr. Pezus

Mar 13, 2018, 11:43 PM Last Edit: Mar 13, 2018, 11:45 PM by Dr. Pez

There's always time after release to add stuff!

How are the sound effects and music coming along?

Legend

There's always time after release to add stuff!

How are the sound effects and music coming along?
Yeah after release it'll be interesting. I have most of the framework done on all of the features I've cut so adding them back in post release if desired should be pretty feasible.

My music guy has made a few tracks for me but all my delays have made it really hard to keep on track of that. Some tracks sound great and fit the game perfectly but I'm not a good judge of music. Placeholder sounds are all in the game and I bought a high quality microphone so I can record stuff but I'm being slow on putting in any final sounds. Also I am dumb and programed my own audio system into Unity so I need to finish setting that up to support multi channel surround sound.