Do you like running "off" stairs in games?

Started by Legend, Aug 02, 2020, 05:56 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

In most games, the player is clamped to the ground unless they jump or run off a defined edge.

Do you like this?

Or do you like running down stairs too fast and catching air?

I should make a list of games that do the later.

Legend

Aug 02, 2020, 06:22 PM Last Edit: Aug 02, 2020, 06:39 PM by Legend
Tested botw. It just clamps you down always. Constant downward velocity when grounded.

Tested mario odyssey. Funky stuff like specific animations make it harder to test, but seems like a similar downward velocity to botw.

Xevross

I can't even think of what you mean by the latter thing. Pretty much every game I've played you just stay on the floor.

the-pi-guy

I feel like i know a game that does this, but I can't place it.  

A game where you would start falling onto the stairs.

I definitely prefer being locked to the ground.

Legend

Aug 02, 2020, 07:47 PM Last Edit: Aug 02, 2020, 08:28 PM by Legend
I can't even think of what you mean by the latter thing. Pretty much every game I've played you just stay on the floor.
It's just momentum. Object in motion stays in motion.

Think of a skateboarding game or a skateboard in real life. If you skate off anything, you don't fall to the ground instantly.

Most games ignore momentum for humans and throw them down. Like in botw I found a cliff next to a house. Should be able to run off the cliff to land on the roof but the game throws link down instead, unless you press jump to turn off the clamp.

Some games always clamp.

Some clamp most of the time.

Some never clamp.
I feel like i know a game that does this, but I can't place it. 

A game where you would start falling onto the stairs.

I definitely prefer being locked to the ground.
Yeah I'm having trouble finding an example with stairs. Maybe death stranding.

EDT: death stranding is the complete opposite. Throws you down comically fast.

Xevross

It's just momentum. Object in motion stays in motion.

Think of a skateboarding game or a skateboard in real life. If you skate off anything, you don't fall to the ground instantly.

Most games ignore momentum for humans and throw them down. Like in botw I found a cliff next to a house. Should be able to run off the cliff to land on the roof but the game throws link down instead, unless you press jump to turn off the clamp.

Some games always clamp.

Some clamp most of the time.

Some never clamp.
Yeah I'm having trouble finding an example with stairs. Maybe death stranding.
I guess its something you don't really notice if you're not a game dev. I guess not clampign would just feel extremely floaty and there's a reason most games do it.

Legend

I guess its something you don't really notice if you're not a game dev. I guess not clampign would just feel extremely floaty and there's a reason most games do it.
It's mostly just a trend based off what players are used to. Different genres do it different ways.

2D games tend to have momentum when you run off edges, except for certain ones like stairs.

3D games with acceleration and braking mechanics tend to have momentum when you go off any edge.

3D games without acceleration/braking, tend to throw the character down.

Grand Theft Auto from what I can tell preserves momentum mostly.

Xevross

It's mostly just a trend based off what players are used to. Different genres do it different ways.

2D games tend to have momentum when you run off edges, except for certain ones like stairs.

3D games with acceleration and braking mechanics tend to have momentum when you go off any edge.

3D games without acceleration/braking, tend to throw the character down.

Grand Theft Auto from what I can tell preserves momentum mostly.
GTA controls horrifically, it feels like your character is constantly drunk.

Legend

GTA controls horrifically, it feels like your character is constantly drunk.
Yeah I'd never use rockstar games as examples of good controls haha.

the-pi-guy

Ironically, figuring how I want my character to fall was the last thing I was working on...  

Legend

Ironically, figuring how I want my character to fall was the last thing I was working on...  
It's stupidly simple to clamp everything.

if(grounded){
    velocity.y=-5;

}

Lots of games also use this to keep the player grounded when walking down slopes, although it's restrictive. Better to rotate forward/backward/right/left vectors to be perpendicular to the ground normal.

In VizionEck Adventure I clamp everything. In Forged Odyssey I use full momentum. Just depends on how you want the game to feel and what you want players to focus on.

Legend

Tested God of War 2018.

Actually uses momentum. Kratos is stuck to the ground with no jump button but when running off a ledge, he drops only from gravity.