Does it ever bother you when a sequel makes changes?

Started by the-pi-guy, Nov 11, 2022, 03:16 AM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

I think devs are constantly driven to add new things to sequels to keep things fresh. But sometimes I feel like they shouldn't.

A notable example for me: Kingdom Hearts 3 adds some weird abilities that are basically disney rides. It personally takes away from what I enjoy about the game.

It can be a bit frustrating when a game feels really good, and you're looking forward to a sequel. But then the sequel adds things or changes things in a way that dampers the experience. If you really love a game, chances are good I think that you want the next to be more of what made that one good.

the-pi-guy

Some other examples: the gameplay changes to Paper Mario in recent years has completely killed my interest in the games.

Legend

the-pi-guy

Jak 2...
That's definitely a fair one.

Although I do like Jak 2.

kitler53

The idea doesn't bother me even if specific games didn't execute well. But for ever bad example there is a good example.  I think uncharted is better for having added stealth sections for instance. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

The idea doesn't bother me even if specific games didn't execute well. But for ever bad example there is a good example.  I think uncharted is better for having added stealth sections for instance.
Stealth was so great in Uncharted. Same with tossing grenades back.

I'll add that I really dislike when sequels give characters plastic surgery. Probably the most frustratingly pointless thing for me. No one likes when a character is recast in a movie, yet games voluntarily do it for some reason.

kitler53

Stealth was so great in Uncharted. Same with tossing grenades back.

I'll add that I really dislike when sequels give characters plastic surgery. Probably the most frustratingly pointless thing for me. No one likes when a character is recast in a movie, yet games voluntarily do it for some reason.
like in spiderman remastered?

I don't know but I thought that had to do with taking maximum leverage of the motion capture?

but I agree for the most part.  ... except in the case the game has a big time gap and the characters was supposed to look like they've aged.  

iI think uncharted did a pretty good job about changing in a justified way. 

DS2 as well. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

like in spiderman remastered?

I don't know but I thought that had to do with taking maximum leverage of the motion capture?

but I agree for the most part.  ... except in the case the game has a big time gap and the characters was supposed to look like they've aged.  

iI think uncharted did a pretty good job about changing in a justified way.

DS2 as well.
Yeah like spiderman remastered. A sequel set a fair few years later or on next gen makes a bit of sense, like upgrading Kratos for gow 2018. Just retconning a character's appearance however is so weird.

BananaKing

Yeah like spiderman remastered. A sequel set a fair few years later or on next gen makes a bit of sense, like upgrading Kratos for gow 2018. Just retconning a character's appearance however is so weird.
I agree. I think the best example is God of war 2018. You still felt like it was keratosis but older.

Tomb raider on the other hand.....

I also dislike the changes I saw in TLoU remake.