[RUMOR] Konami selling off its console gaming assets?

Started by Raven, May 30, 2015, 05:57 PM

previous topic - next topic

Raven

I'm sure a lot of you guys heard the rumor about Microsoft picking up Silent Hills for billions and releasing it in March 2016. I think it's safe to say no one here believes that for various reasons. I just saw a post on NeoGAF from someone who claims a source at Konami told them something very interesting.

NeoGAF - View Single Post -  E3 2015 Predictions & Discussion thread

Me and my friend found an anonymous source yesterday at night and we can confirm that he works at konami. But please take this information as grain of salt./
Now I personally don't believe any of this but it's still fun to consider the possibilities or pick apart how silly it is. According to the post:

- Microsoft, Ubisoft, and Square Enix are competing to get the rights to Silent Hills.

- Microsoft is looking into purchasing Hudson Soft, Castlevania, and Frogger for something about Summer Arcade 2016.

- Ubisoft is trying to grab Dance Dance Revolution, Beatmania, and possibly Bemani.

- Square Enix wants Zone of the Enders.

- Sony wants to snatch up Kojima Productions but would not get Metal Gear Solid.

All of it sounds like a combination of fanboy wishful thinking and general silliness. Hudson Soft, for example, doesn't even exist as a company anymore. It hasn't for about 3 years now. It's just a brand name these days. What would Microsoft gain from that unless the rumor is about snagging games that were made by Hudson Soft as part of this Summer Arcade thing? All of it just seems too good to be true. Like Sony getting a hold of Kojima Productions or Square Enix having Zone of the Enders.

DD_Bwest

ms looking to buy silent hills?  that would be a disaster ::(  i want sony to have it!

Mmm_fish_tacos

What good would it do for Sony to pick up Kojima Productions with out the metal gear IP? That would be point less, and with out Kojima?

Also i feel the they would most likely sell their ip to a Japanese company over anything else first.

ms looking to buy silent hills?  that would be a disaster ::(  i want sony to have it!
It sounds fake as hell. A billion dollars for silent hills? I don't think so. but these are the same fools that paid 2 billion for minecraft... so. I guess anything is possible.

Legend

Interesting but I doubt it.

Why would Konami want to sell?

Raven

May 30, 2015, 06:04 PM Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 06:07 PM by Raven
Probably not going to happen. The original rumor is that Microsoft wanted the rights to the game for billions of dollars and claimed the game was 80% complete. Pretty sure anyone with a brain could determine that to be a pile of crud.

What good would it do for Sony to pick up Kojima Productions with out the metal gear IP? That would be point less, and with out Kojima?

Also i feel the they would most likely sell their ip to a Japanese company over anything else first.
It sounds fake as hell. A billion dollars for silent hills? I don't think so. but these are the same fools that paid 2 billion for minecraft... so. I guess anything is possible.
Yeah but they paid two billion for the IP, the studio, and everything the studio owned. Minecraft is a phenomenon. Silent Hill is a franchise that hasn't aged well and lost much of its relevance. The only reason anyone even cared about this upcoming game is because of the creepy teaser demo and the three names attached to it.

Aura7541

May 30, 2015, 06:07 PM Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 06:15 PM by Aura7541
Someone on GAF was dumb enough to start a thread about a ridiculous rumour that Microsoft was going to acquire Silent Hills and he got juniored, as a result. Also, considering that it is ridiculously easy to fake legit-looking leaks, I find that anonymous source unreliable. Unfortunately, the internet is the internet as the rumors of MS acquiring Silent Hills is already trending on Facebook -__-"

Minecraft sells a lot across several platforms as well as having its own merchandise. Silent Hills is a completely different story.

Edit: Phil Spencer just shot the rumor down

Mmm_fish_tacos

Someone on GAF was dumb enough to start a thread about a ridiculous rumour that Microsoft was going to acquire Silent Hills and he got juniored, as a result. Also, considering that it is ridiculously easy to fake legit-looking leaks, I find that anonymous source unreliable. Unfortunately, the internet is the internet as the rumors of MS acquiring Silent Hills is already trending on Facebook -__-"
Minecraft sells a lot across several platforms as well as having its own merchandise. Silent Hills is a completely different story.

I don't understand that tweet.

Aura7541

I don't understand that tweet.
I don't know why, but it kept showing the wrong message. I edited it out and instead hyperlinked to "Phil Spencer".

BasilZero

Silent Hills for billions? Yeah....I dont think so.

Maybe millions but not billions.

Konami falling off dayum sons ::(  - hope its not true

If so.........

I hope Bomberman goes to a owner who is multiplat.

Metal Gear should go to Sony imo

Castlevania should be multiplat

Silent hills should be multiplat

But honestly I hope they all be multiplat.

Everything else....meh dont care.

Raven

Good. Now they can go back to salivating over the rumor of a non-NFL football game no one wants but will supposedly sell millions of consoles.

Aura7541

May 30, 2015, 06:37 PM Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 06:39 PM by Aura7541
Good. Now they can go back to salivating over the rumor of a non-NFL football game no one wants but will supposedly sell millions of consoles.
Cause M'urica! Amirite?  :P

Gosh, do I miss the NFL2K series...

Legend

It'd still be a new first party studio!

Aura7541

It'd still be a new first party studio!
Actually, they'll be perfect for rebooting Syphon Filter.

darkknightkryta

I wouldn't be surprised for Konami to sell off assets.  I don't think they'd sell everything though.  I'm sure there's money to be made off of licensing.  T-shirts, etc.  Even if they don't make another Metal Gear or Castlevania game, they'll sure as hell make money off of merchandise.

BasilZero

Bomberman...........BOMBERMAN-KUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

RIP :(