Sony removing Driveclub (original, VR, Bikes) from PlayStation Store on August 31st, server shut down next year

Started by the-pi-guy, Mar 30, 2019, 03:10 AM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

You will not be able to:

Use your season pass online.
Represent your Club online in multiplayer events or tours.
Play online multiplayer and compete in challenges.
Create your own events.
Compete in leader boards, or share stats and player progress.
You will be able to:

Use your season pass on all single player and offline modes.
Continue to play all game (DC, DC VR and DC Bikes) and DLC single player functionality in offline mode.
Earn trophies in single player / offline mode.
PlayStation will cease selling DRIVECLUB, DRIVECLUB VR, DRIVECLUB Bikes and all DLC and season passes related to those games from 31st August 2019, at 23:59 BST.
Game servers | Online gaming | PlayStation

Legend

When will this stop happening gosh darnit!

If not many people are playing, then the price for servers can be really low.

the-pi-guy

When will this stop happening gosh darnit!

If not many people are playing, then the price for servers can be really low.
I'm mostly bothered that they are removing it from the store.  

Dr. Pezus

Wtf? What if you've deleted, can you download again?

darkknightkryta

Does that mean I have to buy the physical edition?

Xevross

This sucks. Sony are the bad guys of this whole Driveclub story for sure.

the-pi-guy

Wtf? What if you've deleted, can you download again?
Yes.
I'm mostly bothered that they are removing it from the store.  
I guess that's pretty normal for these kinds of things....  

Does that mean I have to buy the physical edition?
After the date, yeah.  

darkknightkryta

Will the game work offline though?

SWORDF1SH

Sony, this is irritating. What you've done to a promising IP and Evolution Studios is disgusting. Yet Polyphony Digital is running GT into the ground and they get a free pass.

ethomaz

Mar 31, 2019, 02:19 PM Last Edit: Mar 31, 2019, 02:26 PM by ethomaz
Sony, this is irritating. What you've done to a promising IP and Evolution Studios is disgusting. Yet Polyphony Digital is running GT into the ground and they get a free pass.
Look at the massive player activity in GT online and you will see why they can't shutdown the servers...
Now about DriveClub can somebody run up the game to see how the online activity is?

GT are money maker to Sony... DriveClub not... that is simple.

kitler53

i'm sure both people still playing this online are heartbroken..

..only reenforces the obvious direction of gaming.  online multiplayer-centric games only work with a free to play model.  

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

SWORDF1SH

Look at the massive player activity in GT online and you will see why they can't shutdown the servers...
Now about DriveClub can somebody run up the game to see how the online activity is?

GT are money maker to Sony... DriveClub not... that is simple.
You're right but that's not what I was referring to though.
But while we are talking about the 2 studios, I would of gave the GT franchise to the Evolution guys and axed Polyphony. GT is still big but imagine how much bigger it would of been if Polyphony didn't keep fudgy up.

DerNebel

But while we are talking about the 2 studios, I would of gave the GT franchise to the Evolution guys and axed Polyphony. GT is still big but imagine how much bigger it would of been if Polyphony didn't keep fudgy up.
After playing Driveclub I have no idea what gives you the impression that Evolution studios wouldn't have "iced up" Gran Turismo. You seem to have a case of "ignoring the state in which Driveclub launched in" here and before you bring up the post launch support I'll remind you that outside of the weather update Gran Turismo Sports post launch support is honestly superior to Driveclub's.

ethomaz

Apr 01, 2019, 08:16 PM Last Edit: Apr 01, 2019, 08:19 PM by ethomaz
I'm not sure but I remember two different things.

DriveClub was not functional at launch, EVO needed at least 4 full months to fix everything in the game (coincidence at the same time MCC was launched full of critical issues too that took months or even years to 343 fix it)... it was a mess that did cost the studio life inside Sony.

GTS was launched lacking content but it was fully function... even today the core of the game is the same because PD never had to work on that since launch just putting post launch support in add more and more content... and that is where PD did the best... the post game support in GTS is something to be used as a case because they are delivering every month scheduled updated that add cars, modes, challenges, and tracks (not all months).

They are complete different management of Studios... one give no trouble to Sony while the others was a mess to support it.
Is it unfair? Probably but if you look at Sony they had no choice... EVO did that to themselves... they are talented but they had one of the worst development and launch in the last decade on pair with the crazy mess of MCC.

Of course if you see today games launching like Anthem, Fallout 84, etc you will remember that low quality releases started with Battlefield IV, DriverClub, MCC, etc.

SWORDF1SH

After playing Driveclub I have no idea what gives you the impression that Evolution studios wouldn't have "iced up" Gran Turismo. You seem to have a case of "ignoring the state in which Driveclub launched in" here and before you bring up the post launch support I'll remind you that outside of the weather update Gran Turismo Sports post launch support is honestly superior to Driveclub's.
I'm not sure but I remember two different things.

DriveClub was not functional at launch, EVO needed at least 4 full months to fix everything in the game (coincidence at the same time MCC was launched full of critical issues too that took months or even years to 343 fix it)... it was a mess that did cost the studio life inside Sony.

GTS was launched lacking content but it was fully function... even today the core of the game is the same because PD never had to work on that since launch just putting post launch support in add more and more content... and that is where PD did the best... the post game support in GTS is something to be used as a case because they are delivering every month scheduled updated that add cars, modes, challenges, and tracks (not all months).

They are complete different management of Studios... one give no trouble to Sony while the others was a mess to support it.
Is it unfair? Probably but if you look at Sony they had no choice... EVO did that to themselves... they are talented but they had one of the worst development and launch in the last decade on pair with the crazy mess of MCC.

Of course if you see today games launching like Anthem, Fallout 84, etc you will remember that low quality releases started with Battlefield IV, DriverClub, MCC, etc.
Evolution did mess up the launch not due to the quality of the game but the online portion which was a major part of the game. What I mean the game was all there and ready to go but online issues messed it all up. Polophony have excessive development time and released games not up to par for the last decade. Evolution have created and handled several IPs pretty well within the same time frame (excluding DriveClub launch  ::) )
At the very least Sony should of dropped DriveClub and maybe put them back onto MotorStorm duties. The racing on there was fantastic.