Paradoxes in game design

Started by Legend, Sep 09, 2018, 01:02 AM

previous topic - next topic

kitler53

@1 A few games do attempt that. Most famous being Left 4 Dead.

With modern gaas it really should be all but standard. It'd be really yucky but it could be optimized off of microtransaction spending. Find the perfect amount of difficulty to push people towards buying stuff on a regular basis.

@2 I just finished Control and I loved its lack of consumables. Even guns use cooldowns instead of ammo and it just makes gameplay a lot more freeform. Every attack can be used regularly and you never "save" them for later encounters or harder enemies.

It has a lot of grindy content yet none if it is consumable focused.

@3 It wouldn't work for every game, but you could maybe have some excuse like "the bad guys are reinforcing their army more and more every day" and just scale up main quests for every completed side quest.

i didn't know that about left for dead.  i never played it.  i knew that levels had procedurally created encounters so that multiple play throughs were never identical but i didn't know it scaled difficulty as well.   just proves this ideal is long overdue because that was on the early side of the 360/ps3 generation. 

@3. i'm sure there are lots of options to address the problem,.. in a lot of ways it is just an reexpression of my scaling difficulty comment.   the first thing that needs to happen is game developers need to decide that game design principle pioneered in the 90s should be challenged and improved. i'll bet there are a lot of other great ideas i'm not thinking about. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Go Up