The Gaming Community Thread! Multiplats and the like are welcome.

Started by Legend, Apr 23, 2015, 01:12 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Dr. Pezus

Looks like they're giving up on XB1, understandably. Funny that they probably won't do this with playstation, which is the most similar user base.

Legend

Looks like they're giving up on XB1, understandably. Funny that they probably won't do this with playstation, which is the most similar user base.
I don't think they are giving up. Instead they are just decoupling the hardware's success with xbox's success.

BananaKing

The division 2 is looking to be awesome honestly. They improved so much stuff from the launch of the original division. I'm honestly getting hyped and might get it much sooner than I expected.

kitler53

RUMOR: Microsoft Preparing Xbox App & GamePass for Nintendo Switch (Direct-Feed Games) | ResetEra

This would be massive.
i don't want to be overly critical too early but i think there are going to be a lot of caveats that make this deal a lot less appealing in real life.
 - steaming games means needing an internet connection and that immediately conflicts with switch's "mobile" hardware.
 - 2x subscriptions?  nintendo + gamepass?
 - 2x logings?  nintendo + xbox live?
 - are switch's analog sticks clickable like on ps/xbox?

i dunno.  it's worth keeping an eye on but i think this will fall very short of people's current expectations.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

i don't want to be overly critical too early but i think there are going to be a lot of caveats that make this deal a lot less appealing in real life.
 - steaming games means needing an internet connection and that immediately conflicts with switch's "mobile" hardware.
 - 2x subscriptions?  nintendo + gamepass?
 - 2x logings?  nintendo + xbox live?
 - are switch's analog sticks clickable like on ps/xbox?

i dunno.  it's worth keeping an eye on but i think this will fall very short of people's current expectations.
Switch's analog sticks are clickable. Switches triggers however are digital and can't be partially held down like on PS/Xbox

Xevross

Oooh AC Rogue spoilers.

Spoiler for Hidden:
I did not expect that crossover with Unity, really cool.

Good game. The climbing did piss me off a lot though, I forgot how bad it used to be.

kitler53

Switch's analog sticks are clickable. Switches triggers however are digital and can't be partially held down like on PS/Xbox
gotacha.  so mostly but not entirely compatible.  

I remember playing infamous on my vita just to see how it was.  the lack of clickable analogs meant that action had to be re-mapped to a left/right screen touch.  it was playable but also entirely awkward and not fun.  the game wasn't play tested in that configuration and needed core design changes in order to make that controller configuration work well.

the triggers probably doesn't have a solution for game that need it like forza.  

it is why i don't think this is as good idea as people are currently expecting.   there is going to be an inherent amount of "janky" behavior when you make an attempt to merge these ecosystems.  ..unless nintendo/ms are going all in on this for their next generation hardware and releasing their hardware together.  otherwise the things that make them unique are the things that are going to make this plan awkward.  it will be a bit like psvita tv where there was a long list of vita games that could not be played.  it conflicts with the console ecosystem selling point of "it just works" if you have to consult with the internet for whether or not a game can be supported on a particular piece of hardware.

...which btw is really microsofts problem not nintendo's.  i 100% believe nintendo is going to just be nintendo and it will be up to ms to "make it work".

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

I played infamous on vita too! There was an awesome glitch that mapped things to the back touchpad on vita which was perfect.

Legend

Gaming Fail of the Year 2018 | RESULTS | After the fallout comes closure | ResetEra

Hello!

Welcome to the second ResetEra 'Gaming Fail of the Year' results! Without further ado, here's what you determined were the greatest failings of the gaming industry in 2018. But first...

CLARIFICATION ON METHODOLOGY
  • Points were awarded according to how people numbered their selections; 1st place choices received 5 points, 2nd received 4 points, 3rd received 3 points, 4th received 2 points and 5th place received one point. No points were allocated for additional choices or honourable mentions.
  • Selections were not counted if not formatted correctly.
  • I've kept the grouping of similar topics to a minimum to respect what people had described in their reasoning.

THE TOP TEN

25.79% of the total point share
  FallenGrace said:    I need to say something to clarify apparently but everything about it was a disaster from the lies at E3 with "16 times the detail" while actually being just Fallout 4 assets, to releasing a letter before the game released saying it would be buggy, to the terrible reception, overpriced microtransactions for Fallout 4 assets to the canvas bag actually being Nylon to saying they would "do nothing about it" to giving $5 in game currency to those customers that buys nothing as a big fudge you. A fail on every conceivable level.  Click to expand...     Derrick01 said:    This game is 12 years of Bethesda's hubris and streamlining catching up with them and biting them in the dog. It's a game so poorly made in every way that it's the one time I've seen where people (including reviewers!) call it lazy and no one really pushes back on it because it's that hard to argue otherwise. It's a game so bad it makes fallout 4 look like a classic (in true bethesda cycle fashion). It's the most creatively bankrupt and half assed AAA game in the generation and possibly in the last 2 generations. Then on top of all this they have the gall to put in MTX and charge absurd prices too.  Click to expand...     Benji said:    I generally like Bethesda games even with their reputation for being "jank" or buggy. They usually still at the end of the day are great RPG games in my opinion despite their shortcomings. The idea for an online Fallout game makes sense in theory but the execution of this game is inexcusable for a full $60 product. Bugs and glitches far beyond even a typical Bethesds game, a bare bones experience, and nearly all RPG elements stripped out of it are a recipe for disaster. Couple that with Bethesdas response to the CE fiasco and this is clearly the biggest fudge up of the year. Its honestly so bad I think they've done damage to the overall Fallout brand.  Click to expand...  

13.61% of the total point share
  kc44135 said:    I personally hate Classic Consoles as it is, but the PS Classic is the worst one so far by some margin. The lackluster selection of games, the poor quality of emulation, the lack of DualShock vibration, and 50Hz versions of games in all territories make this a complete joke.  Click to expand...     MisterHero said:    Words cannot express how disappointed I am in this release. I would have LOVED to have Crash, Spyro, Final Fantasy VII, Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid, Tomb Raider, Soul Edge, Tekken, and all the franchises made famous on the first PlayStation in one place. Especially since I didn't have any of these games in their prime. PlayStation Classic is a REPEATED FAILURE of representing their own legacy. It reeks of PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, where instead of failing to assemble classic PS games, they failed to assemble classic PlayStation characters.  Click to expand...     low-G said:    An unforced error. They had a perfect guide to do a good job via Nintendo. They have the resources and could have nailed it with minimal effort. But they botched it. Non-professionals could have done a better job without pay.  Click to expand...  

12.24% of the total point share
  QuixoticNeutral said:    Bad games, bad announcements, bad products, bad launches, and bad people come and go (and may I add how telling it is about our collective attention span that the other suggestions here exhibit such a heavy lean towards the headlines of the past month or even week). But to sink an esteemed, prolific, and by all appearances booming studio overnight, and to run away from the unavoidable consequences of gross mismanagement to the point that your own new hires are caught by surprise--well, that takes talent. Just over two months ago we had no idea we were in for a fiasco that would envelop everything from questionable labour practices in the face of insolvency to rescues of half-finished episodic efforts to the mass delisting of software for which the licenses could not be renewed. Given the unique place this studio occupied in the industry as synonymous with its own kind of game, ever since the runaway success of The Walking Dead S1 a mere six years ago, this was a collapse as sad as it was disgraceful; and all of us, even those who had lost interest in their saturated output by the end, should be alarmed.  Click to expand...     ScreamingMadden said:    Once a major name of creating adventure games like The Walking Dead, they kept cranking out games with different licenses that all played mostly the same. Every other game they put out failed to meet the financial success of TWD Season 1 and the only game to make any kind of profit afterwards was Minecraft Story Mode. You also had the higher ups inform their workers that the studio would close with no severance and later led to a class-action lawsuit where Telltale might have broken Californian labor laws.  Click to expand...     iksenpets said:    I'm sorry, but this blows the Fallout debacle out of the water. It's ultimately the same issue of refusing to update old technology, but without even the excuse of it being for the mod community that Bethesda has clung to, and combined with a hubristic management that started releasing so much rapidly produced shame that even their biggest fans couldn't keep track of it all, and absolutely moronic financial management that had a once-prominent company living investment to investment, all while nothing they did managed to sell. Thanks to episodic gaming, they managed to leave a game incomplete, leading to a whole new wave of toxic gamer battleship demanding devs make final episodes for free, while people were losing their healthcare and receiving no severance. Bethesda released a bad game, Telltale destroyed lives.  Click to expand...  

10.41% of the total point share
  SirNinja said:    Where Blizzard hyped up a major Diablo announcement, only to end up using their very best stage and timeslot to show us all a money-grabbing mobile game that isn't even primarily developed by them. That it was the only major Diablo announcement at Blizzcon made it so much worse. Even just casually mentioning "oh yeah, and we're also working on a little thing called Diablo IV" would have calmed the ensuing firestorm quite a bit. The trifecta? Blizzard's almost total lack of communication about this disastrous presentation after the show. Eventually they released a barebones PR statement saying that yes, other Diablo projects are in the works, but by then it was far too late.  Click to expand...     Demacabre said:    Tone deaf is an understatement. Again, it's another example where a publisher shows their hand. I believe in my heart of hearts the old guard at Blizzard want to make other games and actually are making other games. But again, this is where the priority is for Activision. This is what they want to get out of the door. This is the issue with investor driven games development.  Click to expand...     Dazraell said:    A magnificent fuckup that put to shame a Command & Conquer mobile game at E3. Blizzard was hyping a new Diablo project for a while, Diablo III was released years ago, so it wasn't that hard to predict that fans were vivid to learn that Diablo IV or a fully-fleged game is in development. The way they announced it at PC-centric BlizzCon event, showed that Blizzard is out of touch with their fanbase. That silent crowd reation and out of a season April Fools joke question were hilarious.  Click to expand...  

7.09% of the total point share
  Redcrayon said:    Continuing to profit from plagiarised content on his site even after having been caught doing it time and again. Daring others to find more. They did. Zero recognition that anything he did was wrong or mention of the victims, all far smaller creators than the site that employed him. Then uses media attention to setup his next business while trying to rebrand the whole omnishambles as a 'personal learning experience' as it sounds better than having spend years deliberately and wilfully copying other people's work.  Click to expand...     Dymaxion said:    Beware of Youtubers. It turns out they don't always follow a code of journalistic integrity, because they don't have to. When Jose Otero left IGN to work for Nintendo, IGN chose Miucin to replace him as the host of the Nintendo Voice Chat podcast. I was open to their move of hiring a youtuber at first, but it resulted in the podcast being hosted by someone who's not great off-script. That should have been a warning sign, because his channel grew via unchecked plagiarism that he brought to one of the most prolific gaming news websites in the world. It's really baffling to me that Miucin chose this line of work but had no desire to write his own opinions, and I really dislike him for it even though I don't care about IGN's reviews that much. Plagiarism is not ok anywhere! Big failure for everyone involved, but we learned an important lesson here. Check your favorite Youtuber's credentials before giving them a job like this.  Click to expand...     Vibranium said:    Actively hurt the reputation of his colleagues who trusted him through plagiarism. The people who write about games already catch a ton of shame and to see someone prey on a job that could have gone to far more deserving people is sad.  Click to expand...  

5.66% of the total point share
  Acquiescence said:    Rockstar's crunch culture - One of the most successful companies in the gaming medium, absolutely raking in the money through GTA alone, and yet its upper management of sociopaths is content with ruining the lives of employees by denying them a social life altogether. It's sickening. I know crunch culture is a common thing when it comes to video game development, but Rockstar have taken it to an absurd degree. I can't ever look at one of their games the same way.  Click to expand...     jackissocool said:    Rockstar's labor issues epitomize so much of what is wrong with the gaming industry, society, and capitalism as a whole. Workers are ground up and turned into magical little toys for gamers to play with. It's iced up, certainly the biggest thing this year for me.  Click to expand...     Loanshark said:    This is the biggest fail in my opinion because it has the widest and most negative implications of all these stories. Bad games are released all the time and can easily be avoided by players, but this is about something as fundamental as decent working conditions, and about treating people right so that they can enjoy their profession and in turn keep on creating games that people want to play. Burning out all the talent in the industry is not sustainable.  Click to expand...  

3.92% of the total point share
  klauskpm said:    They don't know how to handle online. When it was free, it was bad. Now that is paid it is still bad, but you have 20 years old games to play. No party to chat, mobile solution isn't a solution, because you need to play the same game, and even without this restriction, I would prefer to use Discord on mobile, because it has a better solution already.  Click to expand...     Wolfman said:    I only bought a Switch a month prior to them paywalling the online functions, and in the brief time I had with online on it the experience was... not good. For Nintendo to suddenly start charging for online multiplayer in the state the Switch's online feature-set seemed to be in without improving it first and thinking giving away some NES games and Cloud saves with the sub would be enough to make up for the shortcomings is nothing short of laughable.  Click to expand...     Linkark07 said:    Honestly, Nintendo should be ashamed of themselves by charging money to play online on such a shaming service. On top of that, they still force people to use that awful mobile device for voice chat. Shame on them. And shame of us, I guess, for paying it.  Click to expand...  

1.95% of the total point share
  ElNarez said:    Worse than the company's hyper-toxic sexist corporate culture were their incredibly tone-deaf attempts at trying to sweep that whole thing under the rug, throwing employees to the wolves and pretending to do something while the people that created the culture make grave faces and swear something will be done about it.  Click to expand...     Tygre said:    Riot Games' culture of endemic sexism, transphobia, and bigotry - During a session on how to improve Riot's hiring practices, their CEO told a rape joke. This was not an isolated incident. Rape jokes are just part of working at Riot. All levels of management face allegations of sexual harassment, sexual assault, bullying, etc. The company actively fosters a "bro" culture that is hostile to women and minorities. shame is so bad, so harrowing, that I have actively tried to forget most of the details.  Click to expand...     Gabbo said:    Riot's seething misogyny - treating female, trans, and also male employees like garbage because its the bro thing to do? And creating and instilling this mindset company wide from top to bottom? League of Legends isn't worth that. Burn it down and start over.  Click to expand...  

1.76% of the total point share
  Echo said:    Believing themselves above local ratings board, Sony has implemented new policies wherein they censor or demand censoring of games despite no legal requirement. Worse, this seems to be coming from the California HQ and they demand all communication about these issues be in English which has been a headache for JP developers effected by these new hush-hush policies.  Click to expand...     AztecComplex said:    I didn't think Sony could go back to their old PS2 days of being gigantic jerks but they're getting close. Thankfully they flip flopped but only after months of bad PR and tons of pressure.  Click to expand...     lazybones18 said:    Fortnite is the biggest game of 2018. It's on every system (including mobile devices) and everyone can play with each other. Well...now they can, before Sony caved and allowed crossplay between its competing systems (Xbox One and Switch). PS4 would only crossplay with PC and mobile devices and Sony gave silly excuses as to why XB1 and Switch were left out. Sony has since changed course, but I'm pretty sure Rocket League and Minecraft are still left out in the crossplay feature. Personally, I don't give a shame about this, but it did piss a lot of people off.  Click to expand...  

1.75% of the total point share
  UtterlyPerplexed said:    Well this I clearly haven't forgotten. To make one blunder could be characterised as a simple mistake. To make two raises an eyebrow. To make three is to establish a clear pattern. Am I supposed to place my faith in a company to properly explore the themes of cyberpunk when its response to a pattern of transphobia is "sorry you were offended" and not a single genuine overture to address why their social media keeps doing this?  Click to expand...     ASaiyan said:    This was a huge blow for me, as I just started buying these guys' games and was pretty hype for Cyberpunk 2077. But how do you compound misgivings people already had about a company from disconcerting Glassdoor reviews, and push them over the edge? By maintaining a company that publicly presents itself as pro-GG, anti-diversity, and pro-transphobia. Not just once. At least three separate times, and counting. Each time, a seemingly hate-filled PR manager has been left in his post to fling vitriol, which says it all about management's opinion on the matter. In the most recent incidents, they not only didn't apologize, but didn't even acknowledge anything wrong had occurred - just a hasty delete with the arrogant idea that nobody saw it, an attempt to make sure that what is apparently their true selves doesn't show purely for business concerns. How do you go from being one of gaming's most renowned companies to being boycotted by dozens of Era members, including myself? By being so utterly shaming a group of people that you literally can't keep it to yourself. What a disgrace.  Click to expand...     Big G said:    How many times does one of their Twitter handles have to tweet something pro-GamerGate/alt-right/transphobic/etc. before they recognize that there's a problem that needs addressing? Witcher 3 is a tremendous game and Cyberpunk 2077 is my most-wanted game, and I'd love to believe that the majority of the company are good people. But this has been a terrible look for them, repeatedly, and it won't go away because it seems that they just don't care.  Click to expand...  
THE BEST OF THE REST (11-20)

DISHONORABLE MENTION

INTERESTING FACTS
  • There were approximately 77 unique items included in the voting this year.
  • Of games in their own right released in 2018, there were 20 chosen. Yes, this list included Red Dead Redemption 2 and God of War. Conclusion: that thing you like sucks.
  • The voting really did have a bit of everything; games, announcements, developers, game features, journalists, expansions, communities, hardware and Soulja Boy.
  • Compared to the landslide victory last year, very little mention of EA this time around - only EA related votes concerned Battlefield V and loot boxes.
  • Though there was some criticism of their 1st party exclusive slate and major release Sea of Thieves, Microsoft received far less criticism of the major platform holders compared to Sony and Nintendo.

LOOKING AHEAD TO 2019
  • There were a few comments critical of the Fallout theme of the voting thread. Hopefully most of you are aware that it was intended in friendly jest and not in any attempt to affect the voting. Frankly, I'm flattered that anyone would think that I have any influencing powers akin to a Russian troll farm. That said, I want to both be fair and give the appearance of fairness, so I'll tone that down next time.
  • There were also some comments about the voting thread opening up too soon. Again, point taken and will do things later in 2019, giving news a chance to settle.
  • Apologies again for the lateness of the results - will try to be more on the ball next time!

darkknightkryta

Anyone hear of Left Alive?

Legend

Anyone hear of Left Alive?
Only a very little bit.

darkknightkryta

Only a very little bit.
It has the same artist from Metal Gear.  I noticed when I was looking through Square's steam sale.  Looks like it has similar gameplay, but it appears lacking.

the-pi-guy

It'd be kind of funny if a company snuck in a game reveal by calling it something similar to another game.  

Like this:

CD Projekt Red confirms Cyberpunk 2033 will be at E3 again this year : PS4

A random person on reddit mistyped it as Cyberpunk 2033.  

But what if a company did something like that intentionally.  

Like "yes, VizionEck Cube Royal will be at E3" a totally different game from Cube Royale.  

Legend

It'd be kind of funny if a company snuck in a game reveal by calling it something similar to another game.  

Like this:

CD Projekt Red confirms Cyberpunk 2033 will be at E3 again this year : PS4

A random person on reddit mistyped it as Cyberpunk 2033.  

But what if a company did something like that intentionally.  

Like "yes, VizionEck Cube Royal will be at E3" a totally different game from Cube Royale.  
Like they'd hire a random reddit person to post it or in the tweet they'd spell it wrong?

Marketing gimmicks in general are great though.

the-pi-guy

Like they'd hire a random reddit person to post it or in the tweet they'd spell it wrong?

Marketing gimmicks in general are great though.
Spell it wrong in a tweet.

It'd be a little fun because you'd almost be hyping people up for a game they don't even realize is coming .

Go Up