Globe Earth V Flat Earth

Started by SWORDF1SH, Jan 27, 2019, 04:38 PM

previous topic - next topic

SWORDF1SH

A few months ago I stubbled apon a flat earth debunk video on YouTube. Since that moment I've become engrossed in the who fight between flat earth and globe earth (don't worry I'm not a flat earther). I'm hoping for us to use this thread to post some of the best debunking vids and anything related to the whole debate.

Let's delve into the craziness that is flat earth together.

SWORDF1SH

This guy is Ragical the Unhallowed Knight, a Dutch flat earth debunker that's extremely entertaining to watch. In this video he debunks Del from "Beyond the Imaginary Curve"

Xevross

I've barely paid any attention to this shame. Its good for a laugh every now and then though

Spoiler for Hidden:
imagine thinking the Earth is round lol

Legend

I wonder if there are any interesting statistics with flat earthers. Like if they disproportionately live away from coasts. It takes two seconds to look out over the water and see the Earth is round.

Also I wonder how long this belief will last. I know a bunch of people believe it ironically and then that helps bring out people that believe it unironically, but it'd be weird if this is still a thing even once space is colonized.

Also also, I don't actually know anything about the history of flat earthers. Feels like it started in the 90s but I don't know. I remember going online and loving their website as a kid.

SWORDF1SH

Jan 27, 2019, 06:40 PM Last Edit: Jan 27, 2019, 06:48 PM by SWORDF1SH
One statistic that I'm ashamed of being from the UK, 52% of people in the UK don't believe we landed on the moon. How dumb is my country becoming.

I wonder if there are any interesting statistics with flat earthers. Like if they disproportionately live away from coasts. It takes two seconds to look out over the water and see the Earth is round.

Also I wonder how long this belief will last. I know a bunch of people believe it ironically and then that helps bring out people that believe it unironically, but it'd be weird if this is still a thing even once space is colonized.

Also also, I don't actually know anything about the history of flat earthers. Feels like it started in the 90s but I don't know. I remember going online and loving their website as a kid.
The flat earth belief relies heavily on nasa lying and all the photos of earth being CGI. They hate NASA with a passion. They also claim the horizon is flat and the reason that ships disappear is something they've made up called "angle of attack" where the ground level rises up obscuring distant objects. It's insane what they say and how they ignore things like why we have 2 pole stars and why the moon is upside in the southern hemispher etc

Legend

One statistic that I'm ashamed of being from the UK, 52% of people in the UK don't believe we landed on the moon. How dumb is my country becoming.
Well you guys didn't land on the moon  8)

I'm actually a lot more ok with moon landing deniers than with other conspiracies. It's really easy to prove the moon landings were real but it at least sounds believable to someone that doesn't care about history or space. Plus it only hurts science and education instead of directly killing people like a lot of health related conspiracies. (but it's still dumb)

the-pi-guy

Well you guys didn't land on the moon  8)

I'm actually a lot more ok with moon landing deniers than with other conspiracies. It's really easy to prove the moon landings were real but it at least sounds believable to someone that doesn't care about history or space. Plus it only hurts science and education instead of directly killing people like a lot of health related conspiracies. (but it's still dumb)
Same.  

Moonlanding/flat Earth is silly, but people don't usually die from it.  (Well at least until they start launching rockets with people on them)

Antivaxxers on the other hand, that can kill a lot of people.  (And has).  
A few months ago I stubbled apon a flat earth debunk video on YouTube. Since that moment I've become engrossed in the who fight between flat earth and globe earth (don't worry I'm not a flat earther). I'm hoping for us to use this thread to post some of the best debunking vids and anything related to the whole debate.

Let's delve into the craziness that is flat earth together.
Most of it is easy to argue, some of it needs a little bit of proof.

I find it a bit difficult to see the curvature, tbh.  

Xevross

The flat earth belief relies heavily on nasa lying and all the photos of earth being CGI. They hate NASA with a passion. They also claim the horizon is flat and the reason that ships disappear is something they've made up called "angle of attack" where the ground level rises up obscuring distant objects. It's insane what they say and how they ignore things like why we have 2 pole stars and why the moon is upside in the southern hemispher etc

That has to be wrong. I've never met anyone who thinks that.

BananaKing

You know, just thinking about it and using a bit of common sense you can know the earth isn't flat. During Christmas santa clause doesn't go back and fourth when dilivering presents. He just keeps going in one straight line, and eventually is back home, obviously after turning around the globe. I think that's proof enough that the earth isn't flat. At no point do you see santa just heading back home the way he went early Christmas morning

Proof/fact. End thread.

Legend

You know, just thinking about it and using a bit of common sense you can know the earth isn't flat. During Christmas santa clause doesn't go back and fourth when dilivering presents. He just keeps going in one straight line, and eventually is back home, obviously after turning around the globe. I think that's proof enough that the earth isn't flat. At no point do you see santa just heading back home the way he went early Christmas morning

Proof/fact. End thread.
What if Santa is in on it? Decoy Santa flys off the edge of the world, real one sneaks back.

SWORDF1SH

the-pi-guy

That has to be wrong. I've never met anyone who thinks that.
Have you ever really asked anyone what they really think?

SWORDF1SH

This is a debate between Reds Rhetoric and Jeranism. Reds is an absolute legend and Jeranism has a pretty high standing within the flat earth community. Reds absolutely destroys him. This is a absolute must watch and it's pretty entertaining for a debate.

DD_Bwest

Ive been watching conspiracycatz and scimandan as of late.  Both funny channels that tackle flat earthers and CC regularly makes fun of Del lol

BananaKing

What if Santa is in on it? Decoy Santa flys off the edge of the world, real one sneaks back.
shame ...

No

Not Santa!