PC Community Thread

Started by the-pi-guy, Jul 31, 2014, 02:28 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Mmm_fish_tacos

I got a 5800x about 2 weeks ago. Upgraded the MB with it. Probably didn't need to, it ran fine on the old one.

Legend

To save some money, you could be like me and not buy Windows. The watermark is annoying though.

the-pi-guy

To save some money, you could be like me and not buy Windows. The watermark is annoying though.
I opted to buy one.  Amazon had one that was on a sale. Saved like $40.

the-pi-guy

I'm really excited. 

But I'm worried that my excitement will be shot down by the harsh reality of waiting 2 months for things to get here. 

Still have yet to see an RTX. 

My CPU is scheduled for April 20th, but people were saying they come much earlier.

Legend

I'm really excited.  

But I'm worried that my excitement will be shot down by the harsh reality of waiting 2 months for things to get here.  

Still have yet to see an RTX.  

My CPU is scheduled for April 20th, but people were saying they come much earlier.
Why does everything have that long for shipping?

Everything for mine arrived within a few days.

the-pi-guy

Why does everything have that long for shipping?

Everything for mine arrived within a few days.
I was mostly meaning the CPU.  
The GPU probably.
Most of the things I ordered are supposed to be here tomorrow/Wednesday.  

The CPU is two months away supposedly. Apparently Amazon lists them while they are still getting shipped to Amazon.  

I am starting to lose hope on the GPU though.  I saw a comment that someone waited 5 months to get through the queue to get one.

Legend

I was mostly meaning the CPU.  
The GPU probably.
Most of the things I ordered are supposed to be here tomorrow/Wednesday.  

The CPU is two months away supposedly. Apparently Amazon lists them while they are still getting shipped to Amazon.  

I am starting to lose hope on the GPU though.  I saw a comment that someone waited 5 months to get through the queue to get one.
Harsh.

Cool at least that you can have the cpu reserved and not need to worry about it.

the-pi-guy

Legend

the-pi-guy

I think I'm going to make my own tracker

Legend

I think I'm going to make my own tracker
That'd be cool. What's wrong with existing ones?

the-pi-guy

That'd be cool. What's wrong with existing ones?
The one that I'm using doesn't track newegg for one.  

I now made one that works for Newegg and gamestop.  
For some reason it doesn't work for amazon or best buy.
Best buy doesn't respond and Amazon gives a nonsense response.  

the-pi-guy

One thing I have really loved about building a computer is you can get more premium parts.  

So many prebuilts will cheap out on the case and/ or the power supply. Even the really expensive ones.  And you really don't have to spend much for a nice case.  My first one was $50 and I think I got it on a sale for like $35.

And it has like 3 large fans, nice build quality and nice buttons.  
I got a larger one this time.  It only has two fans, but one of them is massive. (200mm I believe).
The power button could be nicer but still.  

Meanwhile the ones my parents got from Dell all had one very tiny fan.  They weren't even cheap computers.  

PSU are similar.  

I really miss the EVGA supernova g2 though.  Those were incredible.  They came in premium boxes, had nice cords. It's still considered a top tier PSU.  And the price was great too. :(

Legend

I hate power supply units!!! My computer looks so nice and clean and then bam, bunch of power cords. I didn't think about it in advance but it's really nice only having m2 ssds. They use motherboard power.

...I could just learn cable management...

the-pi-guy

I hate power supply units!!! My computer looks so nice and clean and then bam, bunch of power cords. I didn't think about it in advance but it's really nice only having m2 ssds. They use motherboard power.

...I could just learn cable management...
If only PSUs were wireless. /s

This PSU was modular too, so there weren't any extra wires.

This case has better cable management than my last one.  

Go Up