PC Community Thread

Started by the-pi-guy, Jul 31, 2014, 02:28 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

the-pi-guy

To give an idea of how absurd this is:

1.) EVGA has a queue for their cards.  Their queue is 5 months behind, and it is lucky to see updates in hours over a few weeks.  

2.) Apparently many asian countries are getting a grand total of 20 cards a month from all vendors.  Seemingly prioritizing the west.  

3.) Even ebay has very few legitimate posts.  All the posts I've seen have been scams. "this is a picture.  This is for bots.  Humans do not buy."

darkknightkryta

I wonder what's really happening here?  Most of this stuff should be automated. So I don't think there should be massive production issues.  Is it the miners?  Like before.  Or is TSCM just full?

the-pi-guy

I wonder what's really happening here?  Most of this stuff should be automated. So I don't think there should be massive production issues.  Is it the miners?  Like before.  Or is TSCM just full?
- Miners
- chip shortages on new tech
- RAM shortages I believe

Demand basically has never been higher and supply has probably never been lower.

I'm going to try getting a RTX 3080 over the next couple weeks.
If that doesn't happen, I'm going to get a cheap $40 card and wait.

darkknightkryta

- Miners
- chip shortages on new tech
- RAM shortages I believe

Demand basically has never been higher and supply has probably never been lower.

I'm going to try getting a RTX 3080 over the next couple weeks.
If that doesn't happen, I'm going to get a cheap $40 card and wait.

I know it's not an issue anymore, but that flood in Taiwan really did a number to memory production.  It seems like it never recovered.

the-pi-guy

I've probably had an opportunity to buy a 3070 but they're priced so close to the 3080, it just feels like a bad deal.

I don't know.

the-pi-guy

Started to put some stuff together.

Comment 1:
PSU manual says: follow the instructions for your chassis. 

Chassis manual says: screw in your PSU.  With 4 circled holes on the picture. 

Me: So what are these other 4 identical holes next to the circled ones? 

-----

I stuck in the M.2 straight on (which is probably not right).  And it bent up at a 45 degree angle. So I was a bit terrified. 

Watched a video and the guys like put this in at a 45 degree angle. 

This has gone drastically smoother for the most part than the first time around.
Worst bit has actually been to put in the CPU heatsink.  That was absurd. Had to unscrew some brackets from the motherboard.  Screw in a backplate.  Screw in this giant heat sink that was basically floating on 4 screws.
It was the strangest assembly I've ever had to do. 

Basically all put together minus the cables. 

Legend

I had the same issue with my first m2. I used a lever to push it in. Redoing it at 45 degrees was so easy.

the-pi-guy

Mar 01, 2021, 05:42 AM Last Edit: Mar 01, 2021, 05:47 AM by the-pi-guy
I hate power supply units!!! My computer looks so nice and clean and then bam, bunch of power cords. I didn't think about it in advance but it's really nice only having m2 ssds. They use motherboard power.

...I could just learn cable management...
Cable management just sucks.

You might like the case that I have. I have almost every cable routed through the back. There's one SATA cable that isn't long enough. Aside from that and the ends of the cables to plug in, there are no wires on that side of the case.

My build is done minus replacing that SATA cable and getting a GPU. 

the-pi-guy

The inside:

Legend

That's a big ol cpu cooler. I always use stock ones so others surprise me.

Any leds in their? My computer is pitch black with just a faint blue light on the case for power. Wasn't expecting that.

the-pi-guy

That's a big ol cpu cooler. I always use stock ones so others surprise me.
I always use stock when I can, but the high end AMDs don't include them.  (Intel too I believe).  So I bought a recommended one that I liked the look of.  

Pictures don't do justice for how massive it is.  I was not expecting it.  It's probably 4x the size of the last heatsink + fan I had installed.  

Any leds in their? My computer is pitch black with just a faint blue light on the case for power. Wasn't expecting that.
I have somewhat been trying to avoid LEDs.  I am sure the case has one for the fan in the front.  

the-pi-guy

Mar 01, 2021, 05:01 PM Last Edit: Mar 01, 2021, 05:19 PM by the-pi-guy
I didn't notice my motherboard had 8x SATA ports....  

I have:
4 USB 3.2 Gen 1 ports
2 USB 3.2 Gen 2 ports
1 3.2 Gen 2 port type C on the motherboard
+
2 USB 3.0 ports
2 USB 2.0 ports on the case

Confusingly the 3.2 Gen 1 ports are the same as USB 3.0 ports.  My case is using the old naming scheme and my motherboard is using the new one.  

Still pretty awesome, it's almost making me miss the days when lots of USBs were required for VR for the sensors and everything.

the-pi-guy

I put my name into the Newegg Shuffle for a few 3070's.  
Which I don't know.  It just really sucks, because they're more expensive than some of the 3080s being sold.  

So I don't know if I should skip it, and wait for Best Buy next week.  
Or if I should buy it anyway, and sell it or keep it and then sell it when I get a 3080.  I just don't like going through that hassle of selling it.

Of course, me thinking about it will probably be worthless anyway, because it's unlikely I win.

darkknightkryta

You know?  I always thought my mother board just didn't power its usb slots properly.  But then I read the gigabyte Ryzen boards have issues with their USB ports.  I guess I'm sticking with MSI and Asus in the future.

the-pi-guy

You know?  I always thought my mother board just didn't power its usb slots properly.  But then I read the gigabyte Ryzen boards have issues with their USB ports.  I guess I'm sticking with MSI and Asus in the future.
I avoided Gigabyte for that reason.  
Went with Asus this time.  

Go Up