PC Community Thread

Started by the-pi-guy, Jul 31, 2014, 02:28 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

the-pi-guy

Feb 24, 2021, 02:45 PM Last Edit: Feb 24, 2021, 02:49 PM by the-pi-guy
So I have my laptop set to check a list of websites every 90 seconds.

If it's in stock it will beep and open chrome to the URL.  

Newegg got a hit.  8)

Only $3700.  

/s

the-pi-guy

I did something I probably shouldn't have.

I opted to buy a blu ray player.

But I also opted to buy a second very cheap DVD player.  With the intention I would change the region code on the latter to watch Japanese DVDs.  

Fun facts:
Europe and Japan have the same region code 2 for DVDs.  
US and Japan have the same region code A for blu rays.  

Legend

I did something I probably shouldn't have.

I opted to buy a blu ray player.

But I also opted to buy a second very cheap DVD player.  With the intention I would change the region code on the latter to watch Japanese DVDs.  

Fun facts:
Europe and Japan have the same region code 2 for DVDs.  
US and Japan have the same region code A for blu rays.  
Did not know that about region codes.

This goes against my entire console philosophy, but you still use discs? I have a usb disc drive just in case but otherwise my computer couldn't even fit a disc drive.

the-pi-guy

Did not know that about region codes.

This goes against my entire console philosophy, but you still use discs? I have a usb disc drive just in case but otherwise my computer couldn't even fit a disc drive.
On PC for games I don't.  I am planning to do something with my DVD/blu ray movie collection....

On console, I have tended to get discs because between the low storage space and slow internet speeds, discs just worked better.  Way easier to delete and reinstall from disc when needed.  

It's different now though. My internet is so much faster.  There were times during the PS3/PS4 era when I would start a full game download only to have it finish 3 days later.  Literally that has happened.  

I live twice as close to the store, but my internet is so much faster, it's probably faster to download than it is to run to the store.  My parents were getting 10 Mbps, in practice it was common to only be getting like 3 Mbps.  At this house we are getting 200 Mbps, and it's common to get close to that.  

I still get movies on DVDs though.  A lot of mine aren't on many/any streaming services. I'm also hesitant to buy movies digitally.  

kitler53

On PC for games I don't.  I am planning to do something with my DVD/blu ray movie collection....

On console, I have tended to get discs because between the low storage space and slow internet speeds, discs just worked better.  Way easier to delete and reinstall from disc when needed.  

It's different now though. My internet is so much faster.  There were times during the PS3/PS4 era when I would start a full game download only to have it finish 3 days later.  Literally that has happened.  

I live twice as close to the store, but my internet is so much faster, it's probably faster to download than it is to run to the store.  My parents were getting 10 Mbps, in practice it was common to only be getting like 3 Mbps.  At this house we are getting 200 Mbps, and it's common to get close to that.  

I still get movies on DVDs though.  A lot of mine aren't on many/any streaming services. I'm also hesitant to buy movies digitally.  
well with ps3 you can blame sony.   my ps4 can download a 50gb game in like an hour.  when i was downloading my digital ps3 library to be just my most favorite games a few months ago some of the ~5gb ratchet games were taking 2-3 hours.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

I'm sticking to console discs only because I like ownership. They are an inferior experience at this point and I'll admit it. With my fiber internet, I can download a game 3 times faster than I can copy it from a disc. A 50 gb takes ~10 minutes when their servers are being good.

kitler53

I'm sticking to console discs only because I like ownership. They are an inferior experience at this point and I'll admit it. With my fiber internet, I can download a game 3 times faster than I can copy it from a disc. A 50 gb takes ~10 minutes when their servers are being good.
my feeling is ownership is a mirage.

i literally cannot play my my nes, snes, n64, or game cube anymore.  i have them but i have no tv that can accept their output.   i already purchased an adapter for my gamecube once to fit my TV that had a component input,.. i'm not doing it again for hdmi.   i did buy and hdmi adaptor for my wii but it's pretty janky.  

that said, i also have no desire to get those systems up and running.  i have a raspberry Pi with my snes games on it and i've probably played it less than 10 hours.  those 10 hours were really just launching every game for like 2 minutes to see if it really worked.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

Feb 25, 2021, 03:55 AM Last Edit: Feb 25, 2021, 03:58 AM by the-pi-guy
Amazon charged me for the CPU.  Hopefully that is promising.

Also hopefully promising. The 3060 launches tomorrow, and there has been talk of a bigger shipment for other cards.

Wish me luck!  

Legend

the-pi-guy

My CPU has shipped.  ;D

the-pi-guy

I clicked add to cart, and it didn't happen.

the-pi-guy

I'm tempted to get a $40 GPU to hold me over for the next few months.
I don't know what the best thing to do.  

Legend

I'm tempted to get a $40 GPU to hold me over for the next few months.
I don't know what the best thing to do.  
Could you reuse your current gpu?

the-pi-guy

Could you reuse your current gpu?

I don't have a desktop.  

I sold it a couple years ago (to my parents).  

Legend

I don't have a desktop.  

I sold it a couple years ago (to my parents).  
Would they notice if you secretly swapped in a $40 gpu?  8)

Go Up