Trump declares national emergency to get wall funding

Started by the-pi-guy, Feb 15, 2019, 05:38 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

Trump Declares National Emergency to Build Border Wall - The New York Times

In a televised announcement in the Rose Garden, Mr. Trump said he would sign the declaration to protect the country from the flow of drugs, criminals and illegal immigrants coming across the border from Mexico, which he characterized as a profound threat to national security.

"We're going to confront the national security crisis on our southern border and we're going to do it one way or the other," he said. "It's an invasion," he added. "We have an invasion of drugs and criminals coming into our country."

The declaration will enable Mr. Trump to divert $3.6 billion budgeted for military construction projects to the border wall, White House officials said. Mr. Trump will also use more traditional presidential budgetary discretion to tap $2.5 billion from counternarcotics programs and $600 million from a Treasury Department asset forfeiture fund.

Xevross

I look forward to this being decimated in court.

kitler53

republicans (trump and mcconnell) have done such massively damage to american democracy. 

for fudges sake,.. trump just admitted this isn't a national emergency:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/02/15/i-didnt-need-do-this-trump-just-kneecapped-his-own-case-national-emergency/?utm_term=.3d2a1b7961a4

"I didn't need to do this," Trump said. "But I'd rather do it much faster."

it's just that there is no standard they won't shread, no principle they won't betray in the name of "winning". 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens