Many people think Botw 2 is releasing next year, but what happened to Metroid Prime 4 and Bayonetta 3?

Started by Legend, Jan 15, 2020, 04:53 AM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Where are these games?

Even worse, I think botw killed their hype. Botw released early 2017 and both were announced later in 2017. At the time they were huge reveals and Switch was just getting started.

Now though? It's as if they don't exist. I haven't seen them on hype lists and while I'm sure they will get more attention as they show stuff, they don't feel "needed" for the platform. Switch is healthy and Breath of the Wild is one of the greatest games of all time. Botw 2 is just sucking up all the general hype while the people remaining can be "picky eaters." Only core fans of Bayo and Metroid have stuck around.

the-pi-guy

Metroid Prime 4 development restarted with another studio last year.

https://www.gameinformer.com/2019/01/25/nintendo-restarting-the-development-of-metroid-prime-4

No idea what's going on with Bayonetta 3.  

-----------------

Fan wise, I almost feel like Switch kind of outgrew those fanbases.  Switch is doing well with mainstream groups that probably don't care too much about games like Bayonetta.

Xevross

Jan 15, 2020, 12:46 PM Last Edit: Jan 15, 2020, 12:48 PM by Xevross
Did you miss the news on the restarting of Metroid Prime 4? That game is at least 2 years away still.

Platinum games are still fairly niche and they announced and released a different switch exclusive last year which mostly satisfied their fans, so people aren't clamouring for Bayo at the moment. Also the fact that they've been making other games means that Platinum's efforts aren't focused on Bayo 3 and it could be a while, fans don't want to expect it soon then be disappointed.

Zelda, on the other hand, is a much bigger franchise with a much bigger fanbase than either of these two. BOTW on Switch has sold about double the entire combined metroid prime series, for example. Add on to that the fact that most people who played it love BOTW and its obvious BOTW2 is naturally going to be the most hyped anyway. BOTW released early 2017 and the sequel is what the team has been focused on since then, with graphics and designs seemingly very similar to BOTW and using the same engine meaning less work will be needed so its feasible it will come out soon.

So basically Zelda is the biggest and most hyped anyway and perhaps most likely to come out the soonest.

Legend

Metroid Prime 4 development restarted with another studio last year.

https://www.gameinformer.com/2019/01/25/nintendo-restarting-the-development-of-metroid-prime-4

No idea what's going on with Bayonetta 3.  

-----------------

Fan wise, I almost feel like Switch kind of outgrew those fanbases.  Switch is doing well with mainstream groups that probably don't care too much about games like Bayonetta.
Metroid Prime was reset so it might still be a few years. Bayo 3 was 2019 before being delayed without a year.

I fully agree with your point. I remember so many people including myself being so hyped at the thought of Metroid Prime 4 getting the botw treatment and becoming something bigger than past games. Now though, it just feels like a game on the side that will hopefully turn out good. Come E3 it would need a great showing to regain my hype status.

Did you miss the news on the restarting of Metroid Prime 4? That game is at least 2 years away still.

Platinum games are still fairly niche and they announced and released a different switch exclusive last year which mostly satisfied their fans, so people aren't clamouring for Bayo at the moment. Also the fact that they've been making other games means that Platinum's efforts aren't focused on Bayo 3 and it could be a while, fans don't want to expect it soon then be disappointed.

Zelda, on the other hand, is a much bigger franchise with a much bigger fanbase than either of these two. BOTW on Switch has sold about double the entire combined metroid prime series, for example. Add on to that the fact that most people who played it love BOTW and its obvious BOTW2 is naturally going to be the most hyped anyway. BOTW released early 2017 and the sequel is what the team has been focused on since then, with graphics and designs seemingly very similar to BOTW and using the same engine meaning less work will be needed so its feasible it will come out soon.

So basically Zelda is the biggest and most hyped anyway and perhaps most likely to come out the soonest.
If I had to pull release dates out of a hat I'd go...

Bayonetta 3-fall 2020. Platinum has been busy but a big Switch release around next gen stuff could be nice. I could also see the game being in development hell and not releasing for years.

Metroid Prime 4-fall 2021. It all depends on how much work carried over and how large the scope is.

Botw 2-spring 2021. I really doubt a 2020 release is happening. The last console zeldas were 5 years and 6 years apart. Making botw 2 in only 4 years is already a pretty quick turnaround unless the game feels more like dlc.

darkknightkryta

Metroid Prime 4 is probably going to come out 3 years after it was announced that Retro is working on it (Unless they screw up).
Breath of the Wild is dependant on if they reuse the map.  If they're reusing the map, they can probably pump it out in 2 years.
Bayonetta 3?  That's a wild card.  Kamiya says the game's progressing fine.  I personally doubt that.  From what I can gather, half of Platinum went back to Capcom and are working on RE3.  Plus the talks of taking china money?  I feel like Platinum is going to go under in the next few years.  Whether Bayonetta 3 comes out before then or not, I have no clue.