Bayonetta's original voice actor asks fans to boycott the game

Started by Legend, Oct 15, 2022, 06:41 PM

previous topic - next topic

kitler53

read it on era.  pretty appalling that voice acting for an entire game will only net $4k.      i'd say i will boycott it but that would be a lie,.. i was never going to buy the game.

i'll think of it like this.   McDonald's it advertising wages starting at $23/hour around me.   $4k / 19 $/hr = 210 hours / 40 hours/week = 5.2.    can the entire game's voice word be completed in about a month?   if not than she's getting payed less than working fast food.

pretty appalling.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

read it on era.  pretty appalling that voice acting for an entire game will only net $4k.      i'd say i will boycott it but that would be a lie,.. i was never going to buy the game.

i'll think of it like this.   McDonald's it advertising wages starting at $23/hour around me.   $4k / 19 $/hr = 210 hours / 40 hours/week = 5.2.    can the entire game's voice word be completed in about a month?   if not than she's getting payed less than working fast food.

pretty appalling.
If accurate, it was definitely just an insulting way to force her to refuse.

kitler53

If accurate, it was definitely just an insulting way to force her to refuse.

i dunno.  from that era thread it looks like this is pretty typical for Nintendo.

Legend

i dunno.  from that era thread it looks like this is pretty typical for Nintendo.
Bayonetta's voice actress Hellena Taylor, explains why she's not in Bayonetta 3. They only offered her $4000 to voice the role and she asks fans to boycott the game. : Games

I'm going off this post. Unless they pulled a MGS2 and Bayonetta has very few lines, the new voice actor they're using was not cheaper.

kitler53

I didn't read your specific link.  …but what i read earlier all sounded like speculation. 

Legend

I didn't read your specific link.  …but what i read earlier all sounded like speculation.
It's a video game voice actor giving their perspective and the costs for union work.

"Voice actor here. Agents of renowned actors will obviously negotiate whatever they can above scale, at least they should. Well known and veteran voice actors can regularly command above scale, or even double or triple scale. Union scale works out to a little over 250/hr (structured per 4 hour session). It is more than likely that money was not the only factor in this, as Jennifer's representation likely would not book her on the game for less than double scale.

For non union work, often the hourly rate is about the same as the union rate or more, there's just less paperwork and production doesn't have to pay into health & welfare benefits (13% on top of the rate).

For perspective, I've been paid just under $6k for 23 working hours of performance of a character in a game. $4k for the returning title character of a major franchise is a low ball offer no matter how you look at it."

SWORDF1SH

Am I bad for taking a "tough luck" stance?  Voice actors aren't entitled to be paid a certain amount. They offer, you refuse or accept. Move on.
Personally I feel that rallying up people and attempting to boycott a game makes her sound bitter.

the-pi-guy

Am I bad for taking a "tough luck" stance?  
No.
Voice actors aren't entitled to be paid a certain amount. They offer, you refuse or accept. Move on.
The issue is that someone will get taken advantage of.

Plenty of people don't have the liberty to pass on being taken advantage of.
Personally I feel that rallying up people and attempting to boycott a game makes her sound bitter.

Of course she's bitter, she spent like 8+ years voicing a character and that's the thanks she gets.

There's many worse things in the world than sounding bitter.

SWORDF1SH

No.The issue is that someone will get taken advantage of.

Plenty of people don't have the liberty to pass on being taken advantage of. Of course she's bitter, she spent like 8+ years voicing a character and that's the thanks she gets.

There's many worse things in the world than sounding bitter.
To a certain degree I sympathise with her but at the same time Bayonetta has given her more recognition and she's has had 8 plus years of work from voicing Bayonetta. She has benefitted from the studio just as much as they have from her. They owe her nothing.

the-pi-guy

. They owe her nothing.
The world is a lot better when we treat eachother with respect and kindness, and not on the basis of owing something.

BananaKing

To a certain degree I sympathise with her but at the same time Bayonetta has given her more recognition and she's has had 8 plus years of work from voicing Bayonetta. She has benefitted from the studio just as much as they have from her. They owe her nothing.
Still not an excuse to pay her low. Just because its a relatively big project doesn't mean they have the right to underpay  

This is being published by Nintendo, it should have adequate pay for all involved

SWORDF1SH

The world is a lot better when we treat eachother with respect and kindness, and not on the basis of owing something.
I only said that because you made it sound like they owed her something, they given her work and working on Bayonetta will be a big thing for and CV but you are probably right. I guess I'm just fed up with people making a drama over nothing these days and rally people to cancel/boycott something.

Legend

SWORDF1SH

So is she trying to boycott the game or not? Because she is risking an "entire team of hard working, dedicated people's" jobs.