PlayStation NEO releasing in 2016

Started by Raven, Jun 19, 2016, 03:19 AM

previous topic - next topic

DerNebel

Osiris has obviously wrong info (gow), yet seems to have correct info too.

I'm confused by his posts.

I mean Gow could at least theoretically come in or around march, if, as I believe, Sony is just trying to avoid giving release windows and wants to focus on only giving exact dates, when they have them, then it is entirely possible that God of War could be aiming at that window.

Besides it would be a pretty big boost for their reveal of the Neo, if they reveal the upgrade and the release of God of War as well as Deep Down around its release as games that really take advantage of the system.

It doesn't sound particularly likely, but not impossible either. Would be cool if someone on Gaf could ask him about the games part of his rumours again.

Eh. An external power brick will cause more backlash than a 599 price.
Maybe I'm just naive, but who even gives a crud about something like that?

the-pi-guy

Osiris has obviously wrong info (gow), yet seems to have correct info too.

I'm confused by his posts.

What was the GoW thing and what has he been right about?  

DerNebel

PS4K information (~2x GPU power w/ clock+, new CPU, price, tent. Q1 2017) - NeoGAF

Related info from a meeting we had yesterday was waiting for it to be approved before posting. Price is currently $399.99 they were discussing a better CPU which would raise the price to $499.99 we were guaranteed the price will be no higher than $499.99 (He mentioned the CPU upgrade quite a bit almost as if they haven't really decided on a final spec could be a pricing issue.) also there is currently no plan for any type of trade in program for current PS4 users but that could change.  They stated that the GPU is twice as powerful as standard PS4 and much faster. They did not say exactly how fast but that is was running at a higher clock speed while being much smaller than the original.  It will have a 4k blu ray player and will upscale games that are not natively 4k.  Also there was talk of some sort of VR lounge for the media player app which is supposed to be getting a substantial upgrade.  It was stated plainly and with no room for interpretation that there are developers that already have development kits for the PS4K and that they are making games that will directly target and take advantage of the higher specs of the PS4K. It was also stated that these games will in fact work for the PS4 but with considerable sacrifices made to performance.  It was also made very clear that current games would not be getting any type of performance upgrades by being played on the system and any benefits to older games would come via patch per game and per developer. When asked if this was going to happen the response was "Its a possibility but doubtful with the exception of a handful of games."  We were also given a list of games that will be available at launch that will directly take advantage of the PS4K where the differences are and I will quote him "Significant." For the PSVR Eve Valkyrie  Robinson  GT Sport For the PS4K Deep Down (Thought this was dead) GOW4 (This was the exact abbreviation on the sheet I can only assume its god of war 4) There were more games on the list but these are the ones that stood out to me.  That's all I can remember off the top of my head I'll see if I can get any more information. Edited to add: I got a bit more information today but I am trying to find out who all knows about it before posting.  Also the word "Sacrifices" is being blown out of proportion. There are sacrifices made when making a console version of a game as compared to a PC game or when making an XB1 game as compared to a PS4 game. Don't expect PS4 games to all of a sudden become shame just expect them to run better on PS4K. I would expect a game that is really pushing the graphics envelope to run at 1080p 60fps on PS4K while the same game might run at 900p 60/30fps on PS4. Just the way I took it.

GoW(4) available at launch of the PS4 Neo and will take direct advantage of it.

He was right about the general stuff, I think? That the PS4 would still get all games and such? Not sure what else, hard to tell really with how little Sony has said about it.

Legend

I mean Gow could at least theoretically come in or around march, if, as I believe, Sony is just trying to avoid giving release windows and wants to focus on only giving exact dates, when they have them, then it is entirely possible that God of War could be aiming at that window.

Besides it would be a pretty big boost for their reveal of the Neo, if they reveal the upgrade and the release of God of War as well as Deep Down around its release as games that really take advantage of the system.

It doesn't sound particularly likely, but not impossible either. Would be cool if someone on Gaf could ask him about the games part of his rumours again.
Maybe I'm just naive, but who even gives a crud about something like that?
That's definitely what Sony is doing in general, but they wouldn't do it for something releasing within 6 months of announcement. That'd be really really weird.
He's been seemingly right about all the GPU specs that other leakers corroborated on, and trivial stuff like 4k support.

DerNebel

Jun 25, 2016, 03:16 PM Last Edit: Jun 25, 2016, 09:49 PM by DerNebel
That's definitely what Sony is doing in general, but they wouldn't do it for something releasing within 6 months of announcement. That'd be really really weird.

Dunno, I wouldn't put it past them. Also I think it'd be more like 9 months. Seems like a pretty good way to make a second huge splash, if they come out in a couple months or whatever and go like "Hey guys, remember this thing we announced at E3, that you all loved? It's actually already coming out in a couple months!".

Aura7541

Jun 25, 2016, 04:02 PM Last Edit: Jun 25, 2016, 04:04 PM by Aura7541
NeoGAF - View Single Post -  Digital Foundry: Neo GPU are point-for-point a match for RX 480

Nothing Sony is doing is reactionary to what MS is doing, there have always been two options. I would also like to stand by my original claim that the Scorpio will be more powerful than the Neo. (how much more is up for debate) In case it was forgotten the very first information I had for release dates was either Holiday this year or 1st quarter next year with a pin in March. (Stating it will be out before not during that month)

Talking to Diana and Bob (Hello Bob) the biggest problem is getting the price to the originally promised numbers. Sony does NOT want to revisit a $599 price point. Bob says internally they think waiting to Q1 would be best for helping them come in at the originally promised $499 and that's even if they decided to go for option B.

Also to people saying the specs are not final, they are final there are just two different specs. There are rumors that Sony is planning to release both machines I don't believe this will happen as it would be confusing as shame. Bob (Hello Bob) says one will likely be scrapped (so long blue pill) when the other goes into production. Also states that the form factor and casing could require them to use an external power brick this time around due to heating concerns.

Diana has no information at all about specifications, she also does not have anything suggesting Sony will release two separate skus outside of the OG PS4 and the Neo.

Edited to add: Sony will not be selling this machine at a loss. (Thanks Bob).

EDIT: Oh, looks like DerNebel already shared the post. Nvm.

the-pi-guy

Wouldn't be surplrised about GoW.  They may have planned it for release, whether that ends up happening is a different story.  The missing 4 doesn't seem too big of a deal.  

Go Up