Ready at Dawn is making multiplat games now

Started by Legend, Jun 08, 2015, 03:29 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Jun 08, 2015, 03:29 PM Last Edit: Jun 08, 2015, 05:14 PM by Legend
Ready at Dawn (TO 1886) self-publishing its games, hires Paul Sams (Blizzard) as CEO - NeoGAF

Ready At Dawn has named Paul Sams as its new CEO as it seeks to publish its own games. The studio, best known this year for PS4 exclusive The Order: 1886, wants to create its own 'transmedia IP' and is on the hunt for investors. Ready At Dawn's co-Founder and current CEO Ru Weerasuriya will now take on the role of president and chief creative officer. "Words can't describe how excited our team and I are to have Paul join the Ready At Dawn family," said Weerasuriya in a press statement. "He is not only one of the most accomplished, respected and experienced leaders in our industry, I am also fortunate to count him as a close friend. It is never easy finding someone to take over the reins of a company after this many years but I cannot think of anyone better suited to guide the team as we look to the future. "In addition, this opportunity further fulfills a goal we had long sought. With Paul's arrival, the entire team at our studio in Irvine will turn its attention solely on creative and game development, while Austin will become the focus of our business endeavours. Paul's expertise will be essential in achieving some of our goals, including our desire to seek a strategic partner in helping us create and retain ownership of our own transmedia IPs."

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/blizz...as-ceo/0150648Gameinformer did an interview with them about this
Originally Posted by sweenster

Gameinformer did an interview with them about this One interesting tidbit from Paul Sams:
What we did on the PS4 for The Order: 1886, we can also do today on Xbox One, PC, and on an additional unannounced platform.

EDIT: Here's another one, also from Sams:
We have two original IPs currently under development that we own. However, we are not at a point in the development process that we can discuss them. Stay tuned...

nnodley

Sure seems that way.  Loved The Order, but it did have a lot of things to fix for a sequel.  Not to mention probably piss poor sales.  I doubt it was RAD decision.  Sony might have cut ties with them forcing them to do this.

BasilZero

Amazon's system?

darkknightkryta

Random thought, but if The Order was an Xbox One exclusive, would it have gotten shitted on the way it had?  I mean, as a comparison, Sunset Overdrive wasn't shame on nearly as much.

the-pi-guy

This could be big!  :o

Awful news though.  

Aura7541

From what RAD is saying, it sounds like The Order didn't do too hot commercially. Kinda sucks because I feel that they are deserving of a second chance, aka. a sequel. They have the engine ready, so they won't spending so much time at making that and can focus on gameplay, story, replayability, etc.

kitler53

sounds like multiplat here on out but i doubt it was their decision.  sony probably didn't okay their next project based on the order's sales.  harsh but not unexpected.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

Random thought, but if The Order was an Xbox One exclusive, would it have gotten shitted on the way it had?  I mean, as a comparison, Sunset Overdrive wasn't shame on nearly as much.
Um duh?

Sunset Overdrive was  a completely different game. Closer example would be Ryse.

Mmm_fish_tacos

Um duh?

Sunset Overdrive was  a completely different game. Closer example would be Ryse.
But it also wasn't very good. But got extream praise anyway, just because it's an xbox exclusive.  

Legend

But it also wasn't very good. But got extream praise anyway, just because it's an xbox exclusive.  
Sunset Overdrive for Xbox One Reviews - Metacritic 81

The Order: 1886 for PlayStation 4 Reviews - Metacritic 63

Ryse: Son of Rome for Xbox One Reviews - Metacritic 60

Yeah Sunset Overdrive wasn't great, but it's not even close to the other two.

Mmm_fish_tacos

Aura7541

It's not on 80 game tho. Ryse was just really bad.
Yeah, I found Ryse to be the worse game than The Order. The latter's gameplay was enjoyable for a while, but never took the next step. Its story started off decently, but went downhill down the stretch. Ryse's gameplay was really pedestrian as well as its plot.

Legend

Yeah, I found Ryse to be the worse game than The Order...
3 points worse  ;)

Aura7541

Legend

Jun 08, 2015, 05:15 PM Last Edit: Jun 08, 2015, 05:21 PM by Legend
So no order 1986 :(

Also I guess this means 1886 will now be a cult classic, just like Haze, Lair, Heavenly Sword, etc.