Procedural RPG OT: every action has consequences

Viewing single post

Started by Legend, Apr 20, 2019, 09:02 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Now I'm working on implementing wells and environments.

I'm sticking to the forum RPG mostly. Ocean, large rivers, lakes, deserts, mountains, and forests. These stats are needed both to restrict movement and modify movement. A ship for example will just never be able to go on land.

Tiles can be salt water, fresh water, or land. Land tiles can be flat, low mountains, or high mountains. Land tiles can be no vegetation, light vegetation, or forest. Temperature can be hot, mild, or cold.

Forests are unique however because they can change during a game. Overfishing wasn't a thing in medieval times but deforestation definitely was.

The "travel map" thus has salt water, fresh water, dead flat land, dead low mountains, dead high mountains, normal flat land, normal low mountains, normal high mountains, forest flat land, forest low mountains, and forest high mountains. Temperature uses a different lower resolution map since the details are less important.

For now I'm using a 512*512 tiling. Temperature will be 128*128 tiling and only be used to influence environments (no survival elements related to being too hot/cold or having a dry environment increase thirst). Every tile uses one byte to describe the tile and a second byte to give the tile a formation id. This way a river can be treated like a single item instead of a strand of pixels. Lower res tilings are used to define regions and multiple formations. Outside of the background sim, this combination allows places to have cool procedural names.