General Discussion Thread

Started by Dr. Pezus, May 16, 2014, 06:00 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Legend

Lol, a spam bot stole my post.  That's different.
Yeah never seen that before.

the-pi-guy

Legend

I skipped Veritasium's video when it released because it seemed like the standard oversimplified promotion but I didn't think it'd be that extreme.

His later video about clickbait really solidified my views on the current state of the channel. It included a quote about how Derick feels slightly manipulative tactics are ok because his videos are too important not to be seen. It's such a ridiculous perspective for a channel that is already so successful and has such a large outreach.

In general it sucks how almost every educational content creator treats their channel as a source of "truth" instead of a source of knowledge. Great examples of the opposite are Tom Scott, Scott Manley, Smarter Every Day, and Tim Dodd. Even fact based channels can avoid this trap, like PBS Infinite Series and 3Blue1Brown, which focus more on sharing than telling.

the-pi-guy

I skipped Veritasium's video when it released because it seemed like the standard oversimplified promotion but I didn't think it'd be that extreme.
I think something worth pointing out there, is that part of the trouble is that it's a video that Derek would make in the first place, even without sponsorship.  

A lot of the issues brought up in the video, with the statistics and the elevator story were also put in a video 4 years ago without sponsorship.  

His later video about clickbait really solidified my views on the current state of the channel. It included a quote about how Derick feels slightly manipulative tactics are ok because his videos are too important not to be seen. It's such a ridiculous perspective for a channel that is already so successful and has such a large outreach.
And to be honest, this is probably a bigger issue with the channel than the sponsorship.  

In general it sucks how almost every educational content creator treats their channel as a source of "truth" instead of a source of knowledge. Great examples of the opposite are Tom Scott, Scott Manley, Smarter Every Day, and Tim Dodd. Even fact based channels can avoid this trap, like PBS Infinite Series and 3Blue1Brown, which focus more on sharing than telling.
Tom is the goat.  

Legend

I think something worth pointing out there, is that part of the trouble is that it's a video that Derek would make in the first place, even without sponsorship.  

A lot of the issues brought up in the video, with the statistics and the elevator story were also put in a video 4 years ago without sponsorship.  
And to be honest, this is probably a bigger issue with the channel than the sponsorship.  

Tom is the goat.  

On a tangent of self driving, it's incredibly impressive from a technical perspective even if it's still worse than a human driver.

nnodley

Oct 27, 2021, 04:42 PM Last Edit: Oct 27, 2021, 05:00 PM by nnodley
tesla had to push out an emergency rollback software because of some wild stuff happening in the FSD beta.  People were installing the new build while the roll back was downloading. lol

as mush as i'd like to try FSD, i still have to fully upgrade and get a hardware upgrade.  And i'm fine waiting till its been beta tested to hell and back and out of beta to upgrade.  Autopilot is fine for me for now on interstates/highways.  Plus i love driving it myself anyway.  

Legend

@the-Pi-guy Not to keep on the veritasium discussion train too long, but I was just reminded about their recent robot video.

It's a cool robot with both legs and propellers but the video once again hypes even the most mundane elements while ignoring any drawbacks. It even takes a quick jab at Boston Dynamics as if Atlas was inferior.

the-pi-guy

https://www.resetera.com/threads/cnn-does-a-story-about-a-family-that-goes-through-12-gallons-of-milk-a-week.510123/

This thread is super weird.  

1.) The way some of these comments read, you'd think milk was arsenic or something.

2.) On the one hand, these kinds of news stories really should be more relevant to the average person.  On the other, quite a few posters don't seem to get that averages are not everyone's situation. "milk has never been that cheap, anywhere, see look at the average prices."

This whole thread feels like a big bucket of assumptions and misinformation, the kind of thing most people on Era would call a right wing problem, but there it is though tame this example may be.

the-pi-guy

Legend

Bezos started being active on Twitter and it's weird.

the-pi-guy

I had a dream about PSVR2 last night. 

Some tech website was spamming articles about all kinds of random tidbits.

Like they wrote an article on the camera configuration.

"PSVR2 has n cameras, and here's how it's setup

*Diagram*"

That was the full article.

kitler53

wouldn't be the clickbaitiest article I've ever read.  

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

When I was younger, I got a semi-truck for Christmas.

My favorite part about it was that the truck had a sticker with a picture of the truck on it, including the sticker.

I think the sticker went like 3 trucks deep.  

Dr. Pezus

When I was younger, I got a semi-truck for Christmas.

My favorite part about it was that the truck had a sticker with a picture of the truck on it, including the sticker.

I think the sticker went like 3 trucks deep.  
Truckception

nnodley

Go Up